TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I see what @andrewket and @DerekS are saying about missing TOU functions. Without being able to further lower or turn off the minimum, as well as set a maximum, you can’t properly set the car to charge to a limit within a window.

And I see what you’re saying about Timers since they can be and are used to accomplish this in certain circumstances. I was incorrect that they can be used to replace TOU generally. There’s also no actual maximum for Timers since the car will start to charge to 100% if left plugged in for 30 min after the departure time.

214E6B24-CE7C-4B2A-A2CD-C13E40AFD5AF.jpeg

So, there is effectively no maximum settings in any case. Although, as stated earlier, profile minimums act as a maximum when used in isolation.

A correction though, the Timer would be used to charge above the profile minimum, not below it.

I agree you wouldn’t, and in fact can’t, have the car charge to 80% from the profile and then 50% from a timer. Remember that the profile minimum is in fact appropriately named and is a minimum.

I also don’t think the Timers are a work around on Porsche’s end for TOU as much as by the community due to the missing max charge feature to use preferred charge times.

But none of this means the settings are confusing or poorly named. I’m adamant they aren’t on both accounts.

They just don’t support some features (lower/no min charge and a maximum) some people want/need. I have no issue conceding that point.

Timers and Profiles are both covered in GTK. There is also information in the connect app for the settings.

50B586AF-E84A-4C8A-A44D-00D8D962C893.jpeg

900539F9-2D19-48BE-905E-103A8087488C.jpeg
I think you have arrived at a similar conclusion. The profile and timers make much more sense if you are not trying to use them to implement TOU charging, but rather the profile "minimum" specifies the "minimum" default charge you want to charge your car up to, unless there is a timer which selectively charges to higher SoC (and/or pre-conditions the car) at specific times.

If it was me., just off the top of my head, I probably suggest to:
  1. keep the "minimum charge" in the profile except allow it to be set as low as 0% (perhaps call 0% "none", as in "no minimum") - car would charge to that as soon as plugged in
  2. add a "target charge" to the profile in addition to the minimum - car would charge to that respecting 3 and 4 below
  3. keep the "Optimized charging" profile option, which would charge to target as per charger available power (to charge up to target)
  4. change "Set preferred charging times" profile option to simply set a charging window(s) of when the car is allowed to charge (to charge from minimum to target)
  5. Timers would still pre-condition the car for a specific time, but could also have "override target charge" as an option if you wanted to charge more for the occasion
That would provide all the functionality Porsche has today and then some, but more self-explanatory, and address TOU without confusing people. Oh, and it would be more flexible than Tesla, as you could have many profiles for different locations (e.g. work vs. home).

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
It’s not the maximum. It’s the minimum. Just like it says. Maximum would make no sense with how it behaves with timers.
I disagree. I have my profile set to minimum 80% and when the car gets to 80% it stops charging.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
My TOU window is 1-5am. I only want to charge during this time.

I have my profile set for 25% because that’s the lowest it will go. I’d prefer 5% (none might be too drastic; if the SOC is really that low you should charge a little — but I could manage that manually on the few occasions it happens.) I have a timer set for 80% at 4:55am.

With this configuration, the car will immediately go into pause when I plug in (assuming SOC is >25%) and calculate when it needs to start charging to hit 80% at 4:55 and then stop. It will not continue to charge to 100% even if the car stays plugged in for hours (this is a good thing but is contrary to the manual.)

This sometimes breaks with a load-balanced EVSE setup, but works 85% of the time (see my other posts for more info.)

I would prefer the car to start charging at 1am, using the maximum amperage available, until it reaches 80% or 5am, whichever occurs first. There is currently no way to do this, and it’s a common use case. Porsche’s implementation is overly complicated and still manages to miss a common use case.

Simplify.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
My TOU window is 1-5am. I only want to charge during this time.

I have my profile set for 25% because that’s the lowest it will go. I’d prefer 5% (none might be too drastic; if the SOC is really that low you should charge a little — but I could manage that manually on the few occasions it happens.) I have a timer set for 80% at 4:55am.

With this configuration, the car will immediately go into pause when I plug in (assuming SOC is >25%) and calculate when it needs to start charging to hit 80% at 4:55 and then stop. It will not continue to charge to 100% even if the car stays plugged in for hours (this is a good thing but is contrary to the manual.)

This sometimes breaks with a load-balanced EVSE setup, but works 85% of the time (see my other posts for more info.)

I would prefer the car to start charging at 1am, using the maximum amperage available, until it reaches 80% or 5am, whichever occurs first. There is currently no way to do this, and it’s a common use case. Porsche’s implementation is overly complicated and still manages to miss a common use case.

Simplify.
This is exactly how my car works as well, which works perfectly for me. However, I only use a timer (no profile).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche has missed the boat on this one - and it’s way way way too complicated - many many other EV’s handled this better and with an easier to understand user interface - this is just german complexity that hasn’t been thought through.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I disagree. I have my profile set to minimum 80% and when the car gets to 80% it stops charging.
You’re welcome to disagree. It’s fine with me if you like being wrong. ?‍♂?

When used in isolation, it acts as a maximum also, because the car reaches the requested minimum and stops (it has nothing else to do…). However, other settings can make it charge it higher, while none can make it charge lower. Sounds like a minimum to me.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and it’s way way way too complicated
It’s not. It’s just missing features. If you’re trying to make it do something it can’t, sure…it seems hard…

They would need to (optionally) remove the minimum and add a maximum to the profile. AFAIK, that would take care of the currently not covered use cases I’ve seen.

But getting it to do what it is set up for for? That’s not complicated.

It’s just not set up to do what some people want. And that’s a different problem.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It will not continue to charge to 100% even if the car stays plugged in for hours (this is a good thing but is contrary to the manual.)
As @Klepper suggested in another thread, the section of the manual I referenced may have been referring to if the timer is interrupted and the plug is not removed. I’m going to test later.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
It’s not. It’s just missing features. If you’re trying to make it do something it can’t, sure…it seems hard…

They would need to (optionally) remove the minimum and add a maximum to the profile. AFAIK, that would take care of the currently not covered use cases I’ve seen.

But getting it to do what it is set up for for? That’s not complicated.

It’s just not set up to do what some people want. And that’s a different problem.
any UI that need this much discussion and misses these obvious use cases is too hard/complex - the number characters written prove that…this UI is screwed up and complex and does not achieve transparency - bad design no question. The fact that is can be “figured out” does not excuse the fact that it must be figured out - it shouldn’t be this hard and others have proven it doesn’t have to be.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is exactly how my car works as well, which works perfectly for me. However, I only use a timer (no profile).
I’ll go test this again. My recollection is without the profile it would start charging immediately which made no sense to me.

edit: I think I remember now. Without the profile, if SOC is very low the car could calculate that it needs to start charging before 1am, which is outside of the TOU ultra low rate window. With the profile and preferred charge time set to 1am, I was trying to get the car to start no earlier than 1, but I don’t think it works that way. I just never bothered to delete it. I’ll give it a whirl with just the timer.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I’ll go test this again. My recollection is without the profile it would start charging immediately which made no sense to me.

edit: I think I remember now. Without the profile, if SOC is very low the car could calculate that it needs to start charging before 1am, which is outside of the TOU ultra low rate window. With the profile and preferred charge time set to 1am, I was trying to get the car to start no earlier than 1, but I don’t think it works that way. I just never bothered to delete it. I’ll give it a whirl with just the timer.
Yes, using just a timer, the car will "back-calculate" when it needs to start to hit the desired SOC at your departure time. The time it calculates may be before your TOU low rate plan, but only if it needs to start early to hit the SOC. I would think that's a desired outcome - I would rather the car start a little early and be at my SOC when I want to leave, than miss the target.

For me however, I have a flat rate plan, so it doesn't matter.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, using just a timer, the car will "back-calculate" when it needs to start to hit the desired SOC at your departure time. The time it calculates may be before your TOU low rate plan, but only if it needs to start early to hit the SOC. I would think that's a desired outcome - I would rather the car start a little early and be at my SOC when I want to leave, than miss the target.

For me however, I have a flat rate plan, so it doesn't matter.
The penalty rate is 3x the ultra low rate. I’d rather it just stop charging and make it up the next day. If I really need the range I’ll do it manually.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
any UI that need this much discussion and misses these obvious use cases is too hard/complex - the number characters written prove that…this UI is screwed up and complex and does not achieve transparency - bad design no question. The fact that is can be “figured out” does not excuse the fact that it must be figured out - it shouldn’t be this hard and others have proven it doesn’t have to be.
Then, tell me, what’s “hard”. Tell me what setup you want to do that’s “hard” vs just “missing”.?

I have no argument that there are not missing features. I made incorrect assumptions when addressing @whitex and I was wrong. And @andrewket has shown me a very clear use case that can’t be programmed. I can admit wrong. I don’t mind.

I agree that this much discussion is ridiculous. It’s beyond ridiculous. And my half-trolling isn’t helping. ?

But I do sincerely believe it’s not hard.

The source of the discussion and frustration is missing features. Not complex UI. The fix appears simple and within the framework of the current UI by adding two settings.?‍♂?
Sponsored