TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The source of the discussion and frustration is missing features. Not complex UI. The fix appears simple and within the framework of the current UI by adding two settings.?‍♂?
The UI/UX is incomplete, and that in turn makes it difficult and confusing to use.

Imagine you you got keyboard with no "R" key (by design, it didn't just fall out). You can still use it, but now the user experience is much more convoluted and hard to use. For example if want to type "hour", just type in "houe", then right click and choose "hour" for spell check correction. You can also copy-paste "r" from elsewhere in the document or from the web, or use word completion in some cases. If reviewing usability of such a keyboard, would you call it complex to use, or "not hard to use, just missing a feature"?

Porsche compounded the problem with the UI by allowing timers to charge to less than profile, which has an ambiguous meaning at best. It might have been done on purpose as a bandaid to the lacking TOU settings, but it created a very confusing user experience instead (much like typing on an R-less keyboard ;)).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Imagine you you got keyboard with no "R" key (by design, it didn't just fall out). You can still use it, but now the user experience is much more convoluted and hard to use. For example if want to type "hour", just type in "houe", then right click and choose "hour" for spell check correction. You can also copy-paste "r" from elsewhere in the document or from the web, or use word completion in some cases. If reviewing usability of such a keyboard, would you call it complex to use, or "not hard to use, just missing a feature"?
Not equivalent. The features missing in the Taycan charging can’t otherwise be replicated.

I spent time giving some thought to whether or not the missing feature made it hard to use. Long before this post. I don’t. It’s fine for it’s intended use. And adding other requested uses would be quite easy within the current setup by addding two settings. And they would be easy to understand.

Porsche compounded the problem with the UI by allowing timers to charge to less than profile,
I don’t understand this. I don’t think a timer will allow a car to charge to less than a profile as the profile is the minimum and you can’t charge less than the minimum. But I’ll test to double check.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not equivalent. The features missing in the Taycan charging can’t otherwise be replicated.
The result (charging only during specific hours) can absolutely be achieved (replicated), I can think of 2 ways of the top of my head:
  1. by using a charger with TOU functionality
  2. by manually plugging and unplugging the car based on TOU.
Just like a missing R key can be replicated by using the mouse and/or other features such as spell check - none of those features provided by the keyboard itself. Maybe think of the TOU enabled charger as the mouse which lets you work around the missing R key.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The result (charging only during specific hours) can absolutely be achieved (replicated), I can think of 2 ways of the top of my head:
  1. by using a charger with TOU functionality
  2. by manually plugging and unplugging the car based on TOU.
Just like a missing R key can be replicated by using the mouse and/or other features such as spell check - none of those features provided by the keyboard itself. Maybe think of the TOU enabled charger as the mouse which lets you work around the missing R key.
And so, the interface isn’t complex. It’s missing features, so you turn to alternative to compose the task. Glad you agree!!!??

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And so, the interface isn’t complex. It’s missing features, so you turn to alternative to compose the task. Glad you agree!!!??
Yea, the interface is not complex, but usage of it is. My example of the R-less key, it's only missing ~2% of the functionality (1 key), the interface is simple (press a key), but usage is difficult and complex, and user experience is horrible. :)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yea, the interface is not complex, but usage of it is. My example of the R-less key, it's only missing ~2% of the functionality (1 key), the interface is simple (press a key), but usage is difficult and complex, and user experience is horrible. :)
I’m sorry, but we’re just going to have to disagree on the correct way to think about why the software isn’t functional. ?‍♂?

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
FWIW, my 60A TeslaTap Mini was tested today at a winery on a 16kW Tesla Destination charger. Plugged in, charged easily at 9+kW (I don't have the higher AC option).

The hardest part of the whole thing was unplugging it from the Tesla nozzle. Hope it at least loosens a bit.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
FWIW, my 60A TeslaTap Mini was tested today at a winery on a 16kW Tesla Destination charger. Plugged in, charged easily at 9+kW (I don't have the higher AC option).

The hardest part of the whole thing was unplugging it from the Tesla nozzle. Hope it at least loosens a bit.
you should've been getting at least 10.46 kW according to the lower center dash charing user interface - if you tap on the mpm number - it will switch to kW (kilowatts) - my 80 amp (19.2 kW) TeslaWall chargers charge my 2020 Taycan @ 10.48 kW…via a TeslaTap

if you can what kW charge rate were you getting?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you should've been getting at least 10.46 kW according to the lower center dash charing user interface - if you tap on the mpm number - it will switch to kW (kilowatts) - my 80 amp (19.2 kW) TeslaWall chargers charge my 2020 Taycan @ 10.48 kW…via a TeslaTap

Some Tesla destination chargers provide 208V (see diagram below, from Tesla HPWC installation manual), rather than 240V, so the Amperage to expected Wattage calculation has to be adjusted. I've ran into some of those over the years (though have never tried the specific one which @KTC tried). This is a valid SAE J1772 voltage (range for Level 2 AC charging is 208V-240V). As I understand regular Taycan can pull 48A max, so 9KW+ would be correct for 208V charger. This being a winery, they probably have 3 phase power service (often used for industrial electrical service in the US).

Porsche Taycan TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback? 1630395973343

PS> I think I found the charger @KTC was talking about (here). Tesla's are reporting 9KW-10KW there as well (most Tesla's have 48A chargers), so more than likely this is a 3 phase hookup delivering 208V, and if so, it worked as expected.

Last edited:

GSH95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

Daveo4EV to use the tesla destination charger (i already bought a tesla tap). Do you have to download a Tesla app? how do you pay for it?

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S (sold)
Country flag
Daveo4EV to use the tesla destination charger (i already bought a tesla tap). Do you have to download a Tesla app? how do you pay for it?
Every Tesla destination charger I've been to has just been a case of plugging in. No apps. They're just glorified J1772 wall chargers with a different plug head.

Note that it is possible to software lock them to only charge actual Teslas. I don't personally know how many are configured like that (still awaiting my Taycan to replace the Tesla!).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
no app required - Tesla Destination chargers are simply AC L2 Chargers placed in parking lots - think PMCC just put out for public use - there is no billing or metering - it's considered good manners to obtain the permission of the business offering the chargers.

But they are simply L2 public chargers that have the "wrong" connector.

You TeslaTap will allow any EV to use these L2 AC chargers.

TaterTex

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The TeslaTap Minis have 2 holes for padlocks for charging in public to prevent theft or unwanted unplugging from your Taycan.

I know locking it to the Tesla cable makes sense, but does anybody know of the Taycan prevents removal of the TeslaTap whole charging like other J-1772 connections? If so, the second padlock would not be necessary.

Alfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
Porsche’s implementation is overly complicated and still manages to miss a common use case.
THIS! 2 years later and the settings are still messed up.

The use cases I can see are:
1) timed charging for solar/cheaper night rate
2) a Maximum charge level for battery health
3) storage mode for going on extended holidays (porsche should set the optimal settings without users having to specify anything)
4) a Minimum charge level when arriving at the destination to not get stranded on the way back.

The only use case albeit complicated that sort of works as expected is 1. The fact that people argue for pages about what the individual settings do and how they work hint hat the UX is horrendous, developed by junior software engineers or someone in india that never has driven an EV before, that no focus testing was done to prevent the (common) over engineering in Software development. And that Software/User eXperience Testing was only half heartedly done.

Porsche Taycan TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback? IMG_8748

dnigrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag