Flying ace

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 GT3, 991.1 GT3, G05 X5 45e
Country flag
Nice report! I'm currently still shopping for a GTS, looked for a 150kw DC option obviously.

It appears while the EA 150kw chargers are not preferred, it's not a deal breaker as I see a 20% to 80% in 30 mins instead of 22 mins. The overhead time you logged at some of those stops are interesting. Lots of wasted time added up, definitely not something you'll do at gas stations.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
We are mapping out the Tesla trip. Only 6 charger stops!

Well 7, as we have to detour through Fort Worth to say goodbyes on the way out. So this won’t be a complete apples to apples comparison unfortunately.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
We are mapping out the Tesla trip. Only 6 charger stops!

Well 7, as we have to detour through Fort Worth to say goodbyes on the way out. So this won’t be a complete apples to apples comparison unfortunately.
How many had you planned in the Taycan for comparison?

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
16! So the range and ubiquity of charging stations on the Tesla makes a huge difference.

Makes a huge difference with what?

Are you planning on taking I-40 again between TX and California?

The lack of V3 Tesla superchargers between Kingman, AZ and Grant, NM will not give you any advantage over taking the Taycan. Then you have have another V3 gap between Albuquerque and Amarillo so that will cost you even more time to charge.

If I still had a Tesla I would use the Lectron NACS to CCS adapter and use Electrify America on that I-40 stretch between California and Oklahoma due to their being mostly V2 Tesla superchargers on that route. If you combine the faster charging speeds of V3 Tesla chargers and the EA network then you might barely beat the Taycan on that same road trip.

And, honestly, range and charging station ubiquity has nothing to do a successful road trip. It is all about charging speed and charger availability. There is more than enough evidence on the web to see that - if you can stomach watching Kyle Conner's videos where they show competition between different charging networks in long distance races. In the latest one the new Chevy Silverado EV truck actually beat the Cybertruck, which the Rivian showing up less than half an hour behind that.

That all being said, we are looking forward to seeing the results of your Tesla VS Taycan drive.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag

Are you planning on taking I-40 again between TX and California?
Number of stops. Yes we're taking I-40 again. The plan is this, note the little dip south at the beginning for inlaw goodbyes. It's still a much more direct route than going north to OK City.

Porsche Taycan Texas to California II - The Sequel Road Trip -- Now live updating from the road in 2023 Taycan GTS Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.51.33 AM

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Number of stops. Yes we're taking I-40 again. The plan is this, note the little dip south at the beginning for inlaw goodbyes. It's still a much more direct route than going north to OK City.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.51.33 AM.png

Are you crashing in Albuquerque again? If so, stay at that Sheraton off Louisiana. It has a Tesla destination charger.

Are you going to measure your trip in the Chargey app again?

I have never been a fan of 287 - too much traffic, too many sections of two lane road, and too many ignorant redneck Texas cops. In 2012 I was driving from Denver to Dallas in my Range Rover and just outside of Wichita Falls when I got pulled over for doing 3 miles over the speed limit. I would rather take the 100 to 150 mile penalty just to avoid it.

Anyway, my man, safe travels and keep us updated on the journey.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.51.33 AM.png
I expected fewer stops in the Tesla, but not 50% fewer!

Looks like you’re choosing to minimize the number of stops?

You’re unlikely to have much “overhead time” with the SC network, and that in itself is a big advantage.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm trying to understand your comments that a trip with 6 charging stops at Tesla does not make a difference compared to 16 stops at EA for Taycan. Help me understand your reasoning.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm trying to understand your comments that a trip with 6 charging stops at Tesla does not make a difference compared to 16 stops at EA for Taycan. Help me understand your reasoning.

Because a V2 Tesla superchargers only max charge to 150Kw speed. Which is why you see on the Tesla map above that there are 3 stops of 40 minutes or more., and two above 25 minutes. Driving on I-40 from Kingman, AZ to Amarillo there are only two V3 Tesla super chargers capable of 250kW on that 750 mile stretch of road. It is the classic "more stops but with faster charging sessions as opposed to fewer stops with longer charging sessions" situation.

Since a Model Y charges max to 220kW it would actually be beneficial for Derek to use a Lectron CCS to NACs adaptor and use the Electrify America chargers once he hits I-40 in Amarillo since they will charge faster than a V2 Tesla supercharger.

If there are headwinds, like they traditionally are on I-40 driving west, Derek will need more than what the Tesla charging maps says as well.

In my Taycan, I can still go a distance of 500 or 750 miles faster than any Tesla, other than a Cybertruck if it is using exclusively V3 or V4 Tesla superchargers. Even then, if the Electrify America locations are working like they have been recently for me, it would be a very close race.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
We don’t have time to order a CCS adapter nor do I want to put my faith anywhere near EA for this one.
We are in a new 2024 “Highland” model 3.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We don’t have time to order a CCS adapter nor do I want to put my faith anywhere near EA for this one.
We are in a new 2024 “Highland” model 3.
Very interested to hear your experience with that Highland on the trip. I tried one and was very impressed how much they had improved compared to our 2019 model. And it is especially interesting against the Taycan.

It is just sad that EA is such a s**t show in US. Because a road trip like that is what the Taycan will perform great at here in Europe.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Very interested to hear your experience with that Highland on the trip. I tried one and was very impressed how much they had improved compared to our 2019 model. And it is especially interesting against the Taycan.

It is just sad that EA is such a s**t show in US. Because a road trip like that is what the Taycan will perform great at here in Europe.
I was really impressed with the Highland too. A lot of nice improvements to handling, performance and fit/finish.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
I was really impressed with the Highland too. A lot of nice improvements to handling, performance and fit/finish.
Agreed - enjoyed my test-drive.

I’ll also be interested to see the efficiency results

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I liked the reduction in noise levels, improvement in suspension and most of all Seat cooling/ ventilation! Very useful at home where it can get close to 40 C in the summer
Sponsored