Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
^ Sounds strikingly similar in many regards to my 87 yr old aunt. Including being the last link to my parents. Plus also makes me grateful that my parents didn't end up this way in their final years. Best wishes in coping with that situation, and bless you for trying to help him.
Sponsored

Tincan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I have an appointment with the dealer to sit with the shop foreman to go through the PIWIS options for changing some settings, like turning the rear LED strip on with DRL and silencing the trunk "reversing" beep/tone.
Can you have them document where exactly in the PIWIS menus this is? A few people have asked about silencing beeps, most dealers know how to do it for Macans but get lost in some reportedly "German" options of the software - or just say it isn't possible. Similar for rear DRL.

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Porsche repeatedly posted when upgrade was announced that the onboard charger upgrade kit (parts) was $1850 and the install requires 12 hours of tech labor. You won't get all that for $2000.
I only saw an article that was poorly written that talked about the parts cost. It didn't differentiate the parts from the labor so I had no idea. Granted, it did seem very "economical" for a Porsche!

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Can you have them document where exactly in the PIWIS menus this is? A few people have asked about silencing beeps, most dealers know how to do it for Macans but get lost in some reportedly "German" options of the software - or just say it isn't possible. Similar for rear DRL.
He checked several different areas within the program that he thought could have an option to alter the sound. He did the same for the rear light strip. As for the matrix headlights, he knew beforehand it wouldn't be possible. I wasn't the first to bring it up. He moved around the software pretty quickly so I couldn't get a chance to memorize or write down the areas he was in. At one point, I asked him to show me something he could change just so I could see what that looked like, as a point of reference and more so I knew for myself that the areas he was in truly didn't have anything that could be changed.

I wish I could be of more help but if he was correct, Porsche has locked things down to the extent that anything which can be changed is limited to the PCM.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The 240 VOLT 100 AMP electric service needed to support 19.2 kw charging at the vehicle will require upgraded wiring. Get some bids if you want to go this way.

I added a 50 AMP circuit to my garage supporting 9.6 kw when I bought the Taycan and should have specified 60 AMPS to support the stock Taycan 11.5 kw charger. Don't make that mistake.

Presuming the car sits in the garage 8 hours a day, 9.6 kw will be sufficient.

jhiemenz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, BMW iX M60, Porsche Taycan Turbo 4S
Country flag
The updated Taycan without the 19.2 kW option is really shortsighted by Porsche. Completely backwards. They should call it the downgraded Taycan. They sold a charger to specifically take advantage of this...and then....dropped it? I have the 19.2 kW option now and a Porsche Wall Charger that supports it and made the wire investment long ago- and I can tell you it works beautifully.

All these comments about it doesn't matter...blah, blah, blah....overnight.... yeah, when you have it and have already made the investment, and you come home and want to make an unexpected trip later in the day.... going from 9.6 to 19.2.....is huge. And I never use commercial chargers.

This thread is focussed mostly on people who are trying to see if the new Taycan is worth the upgrade, including upgrading their charger and electrical. I get that; I probably wouldn't do it either. But my perspective is.... I charge at 19.2 kW now....and if I "upgrade" my Taycan I can charge at 11 kW? I was excited about the prospect of the update....but I think now it's a wait for the next round.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
It's probably not worth the retrofit, but IMO worth the option on a new build. I shall link to my boilerplate answer to this perennial question.
2.5 years on in my case, the most practical benefit is short notice charging to 100% for rapid turnaround or unexpected long trips.
I'd prefer to be charged to 100% at home than depend any more than necessary upon EA.
Regarding the home install expense, if your home is modern construction and you have a 200A supply drop, you should be able to carve out a 100A circuit for your 80A EVSE. Ask an electrician.

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
I agree with Jhiemenz, the 19.2 should be the defacto standard on a Taycan. If I were ordering new, I'd add it. Given the rapid and precipitous depreciation of the Taycan, I doubt I will be ordering new any time soon. This means I will only end up with that if A) the original owner ordered it or B) it becomes standard equipment. My current CPO doesn't have it. My house is wired for 100amp service to the EV though fitted with a 60 amp breaker for the Porsche wall charger.

On that note, my Taycan reports 10.4kW as the charge rate on the dash. Shouldn't it be 11.2?
The electrician followed the Porsche manual and set the dial/dip switches for 60 amp service.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
On that note, my Taycan reports 10.4kW as the charge rate on the dash. Shouldn't it be 11.2?
The electrician followed the Porsche manual and set the dial/dip switches for 60 amp service.
I believe 11kW is the max, but regardless, the car will show what’s actually hitting the battery, which will be after losses. So, it will always be lower than the capability or setting of the EVSE.
Sponsored