ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Porsche will upgrade existing Taycans to the faster 19.2kW on-board AC charging through the dealer network.
This cuts the charge time at home to something like 6 hours for the upgraded battery. I'm considering it so I am wondering what the general consensus is regarding this option/upgrade.

I noticed most if not all but one CPO we looked at lacked this option in the build sheet so one could argue that I have my answer. I'm just left to wonder why. Why not want/have faster charging at home for when you don't want to plan a DC stop or a full 10 hours to charge.

On this subject, Taycans that don't have the upgraded 19.2kW charge at what? 9.xkW or 11kW?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Porsche will upgrade existing Taycans to the faster 19.2kW on-board AC charging through the dealer network.
This cuts the charge time at home to something like 6 hours for the upgraded battery. I'm considering it so I am wondering what the general consensus is regarding this option/upgrade.

I noticed most if not all but one CPO we looked at lacked this option in the build sheet so one could argue that I have my answer. I'm just left to wonder why. Why not want/have faster charging at home for when you don't want to plan a DC stop or a full 10 hours to charge.

On this subject, Taycans that don't have the upgraded 19.2kW charge at what? 9.xkW or 11kW?
Personally I wouldn't and can comfortably charge from 20% to 85% overnight using 7.4kW supply. Rarely is a full charge needed.

If you have the power then go for 11kW to max out the standard onboard AC charger.

Historically an unreliable option with many reported failures.

Prohibitive costs for little useful gain.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hard to say for sure where the industry is headed but I suspect that passenger vehicles with really large batteries >100Kwh will start to fade away as efficiency improves thus making 11kw charging the sweet spot for home use.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
I think the reason is that it’s rarely used in US homes. Most EVSE’s that are cost effective max out at 40W or 48W, and you can match that with the lower spec Taycan charger. To go above it starts to become a very expensive home install, with a breaker that may not be accomodated in the electrical panel, or even require upgrading the transformer drop to the house in some cases. Unless you really need faster home turnaround charging, and some do,, it’s a lot of money and possibly trouble just for a fast charging party trick.

Trogdors_Peasant

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2022 AMG SL63
Country flag
You only need a 19 kw charger at home if you go back to work 5 hours after you came home.

Pointless (and VERY expensive) upgrade.

Exactly, the 1-2 times a year we have a really fast turn around where there's a limited amount of time and more range is needed then 9-11kw for a few hours can can provide, we just hit a DC fast charger for 5-7 minutes and problem solved.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
Completely pointless for me. Especially in winter when it's cold, I charge as slowly as possible to conserve the battery. You usually have 5 to 6 hours at a time and the battery is almost full. Charging faster only makes sense on long journeys.

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
I have an appointment with the dealer to sit with the shop foreman to go through the PIWIS options for changing some settings, like turning the rear LED strip on with DRL and silencing the trunk "reversing" beep/tone. I'll ask about the cost of the upgrade then.

My main reason for wanting it is to be able to charge to 90% or so from 5 or 10% in a few hours should I need to make an unexpected trip. My late mothers widower lives 80 miles from me and he likes to call with some problem that requires me to drive to him at the most inopportune times, like if I am sitting at 15% charge. The nearest DC charger is 30 minutes in the opposite direction. Heading towards him has very limited charging options.

Even the nearest DC charger at Target only has four stations and very often, 2 or 3 are occupied.

Depending on what the dealer cites, a $2k price tag is digestible for the reduction in charge time.

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag

The standard Taycan AC charge limit is 11KW, which is plenty fast for almost every home use case. So unless you have a very unusual driving pattern, and sleep only a few hours per night, stick with the 11KW.

For example, if you arrive home every day at 10PM with 10% remaining in the Gen1 Taycan battery, and need to leave again at 5AM with a 90% charge, you'll have seven hours to charge overnight, and need (does some math) right around 6.4 hours at 11KW to do it - plenty of time. But you probably don't drive that much each day, and you are probably home for more than 6.4 hours, so even 11KW is more than you need.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I think OP is misunderstanding what it takes to make this happen, since the thought is, what is 2 grand to add 19.2kW capability to the car, yes, that does not sound like a lot. However, in order for this to work you need to have a 100Amp circuit at the house, get EVSE to handle this, and then pay for the wiring that most likely is much more than wiring a 60Amp circuit for the 11kW. Have you estimated the cost of that before going to the dealer and asking how much and what it takes to add 19.2kW to the car?

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Oh, good. We’re debating whether or not anyone needs the 19.2kW charger again. I was worried we’d run out of things to talk about.
So which side won out on the topics of:
  • Is the Taycan used wholesale % of original new retail any lower than other expensive large four-door cars?
  • What is the best EVSE to invoice Porsche NA on the $600 offer?
  • Is VAG subsidiary Porsche's handling of the Taycan heater replacement better or worse than VAG subsidiary EA's CCS1 EV charging network?
In all seriousness, although I understand the OP's situation on having to leave on a moment's notice for a ~160-mile roundtrip given my experience with elderly relatives, isn't the simple alternative to always start charging back up to 85% SoC upon returning from any trip?

Even if you ideally want to leave ASAP with zero advance warning, if your SoC has been drawn down to ~5-15%, sure sounds like you just returned from a long trip, and will want a bit of recharge time for both the Taycan battery and your own "battery" before making the ~160-mile roundtrip?

And running the #s:
  • 200 = total range in worst-case cold temps
  • 160 = roundtrip to help out elderly relative
  • 80% = SoC for trip (assuming no opportunities to charge at destination or on return leg)
  • 5% = buffer
  • 85% = min SoC for departure
  • 15% = starting SoC
  • 70% = necessary SoC net gain
  • ~84kWh = useable battery capacity
  • ~59kWh = necessary charging gain
  • ~11kW = hard-wired 48a charging rate
  • ~5.5 = hours to charge before departure

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Will the 19.2kW on board AC allow for faster charging at public level 2 chargers that aren't DC? There are more places around me that are AC than are DC. I've seen level 2 AC chargers at hotels more than I've seen DC chargers.

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
I think OP is misunderstanding what it takes to make this happen, since the thought is, what is 2 grand to add 19.2kW capability to the car, yes, that does not sound like a lot. However, in order for this to work you need to have a 100Amp circuit at the house, get EVSE to handle this, and then pay for the wiring that most likely is much more than wiring a 60Amp circuit for the 11kW. Have you estimated the cost of that before going to the dealer and asking how much and what it takes to add 19.2kW to the car?
I am aware that it will require a 100amp breaker and a charger capable, like the Porsche offers.
I already have an electrician quote for the 50 amp and 100 amp breaker. My 200 amp service was approved by the electrical company, meets the requirements for their rebate and the electrician quotes are separated by $200 for 50 amp vs 100 amp, mainly due to the location of the panel in the garage and the fact the charging station is within 5 feet of the panel. The $2k is just what I'd budget from the dealer should I add it. On the surface, yes, most charging will occur overnight and will not benefit from 19.2kW but I would like to know and would feel more comfortable knowing I can do it in half that time. If the faster DC stations were closer and more plentiful I wouldn't be thinking of this.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Will the 19.2kW on board AC allow for faster charging at public level 2 chargers that aren't DC?
Only if the EVSE is higher than 11kW, which is unlikely. There aren’t many larger ones in the wild. You can go check what’s around you.
Sponsored