2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Really interesting comment is this author's comments that suggest he would like the Taycan to have more aggressive regen like the Tesla not for efficiency purposes, but for driving purposes.

Makes me wonder if in 10 years or so, when people are more broadly familiar with how to drive electric cars, whether we'll look at the traditional braking model currently employed by Porsche for the Taycan as a curiosity.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Makes me wonder if in 10 years or so, when people are more broadly familiar with how to drive electric cars, whether we'll look at the traditional braking model currently employed by Porsche for the Taycan as a curiosity.
Based on what I've read Taycan might have pretty much the most advanced regen strategy available now. It has the adaptive regen mode which does break hard if it detects objects in front. To me this makes more sense than just breaking all the time for no reason.

Additionally it has the mild regen all the time option, and friction free no breaking coast mode. To me the way Taycan has done it is better than any other EV so far.

But this is just based on what I've read. Will report more about this in a couple of months when I get my Taycan.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Based on what I've read Taycan might have pretty much the most advanced regen strategy available now. It has the adaptive regen mode which does break hard if it detects objects in front. To me this makes more sense than just breaking all the time for no reason.
This aligns with what I had read before this article. It was just interesting to see an opinion from an experienced driver who actually seemed to prefer a high regen option for aggressive driving, which is counter to my impressions to date.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This aligns with what I had read before this article. It was just interesting to see an opinion from an experienced driver who actually seemed to prefer a high regen option for aggressive driving, which is counter to my impressions to date.
Understand. I have a Chevy Bolt EV and it defaults to D (Drive) mode but you can toggle to L (Low) mode for aggressive Regen which is not really needed as it has blended breaking as well to Regen when you use break peddle. I had been using L for over a year but get some complaints about it being jerky. I do feel it now and trying to switch back to using D mode and 2 peddle driving again to prepare for the Taycan. I do think that it's better.

As Tesla doesn't have blended breaking you only get decent Regen with the aggressive setting. Some folks may think the Taycan does not Regen when break peddle pressed when actually it can Regen 265kW, my Bolt can only do about 70kW.

During my test drive I was quite happy with the Taycan peddle feel.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some folks may think the Taycan does not Regen when break peddle pressed when actually it can Regen 265kW, my Bolt can only do about 70kW.
This is one of the most impressive things about Taycan's tech. The break regeneration is stronger than with any other EV. The car should have really good efficiency in city driving when a lot of breaking is required.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If you really enjoy driving a car, I can't see how one-pedal driving would be appealing to you. Kind of like saying 'I really like this automatic transmission because I don't have to shift myself anymore..."

If I'm on the track, I want to control exactly how much braking I use with my foot off the gas pedal. It would drive me nuts if the car was braking for me whenever I let off the gas. If I want very light braking through a turn, then I'm stuck with figuring out how much I let up on the gas, and what if I want to modulate braking just above what the maximum is on lift-throttle? Do I need to keep switching between the brake and the gas? I can see all sorts of problems - it just doesn't compute with me for driving enjoyment and control. I really like the fact that Porsche decided to make this car behave like a normal car and coast when you're off the gas.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really like the fact that Porsche decided to make this car behave like a normal car and coast when you're off the gas.
I agree but the best thing is that with a Taycan you can choose between the 3 different settings. Other EV's do not have the free coast option at all. With Taycan you have the smart adaptive, mild regen and totally off. I'm pretty sure one of the settings will work for any driver.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I'm on the track, I want to control exactly how much braking I use with my foot off the gas pedal. It would drive me nuts if the car was braking for me whenever I let off the gas. If I want very light braking through a turn, then I'm stuck with figuring out how much I let up on the gas, and what if I want to modulate braking just above what the maximum is on lift-throttle? Do I need to keep switching between the brake and the gas? I can see all sorts of problems - it just doesn't compute with me for driving enjoyment and control. I really like the fact that Porsche decided to make this car behave like a normal car and coast when you're off the gas.
Call me a bad driver, but I habitually "engine brake", whether it be downshifting with a manual transmission or with a "manu-matic". For one thing, it puts me in the optimum gear to accelerate out of the curve or away from the stoplight. I think it's also saved me a few speeding tickets when I've spotted highway patrol and rapidly decelerated without flashing the brake lights. Is it possible to rapidly decelerate the Taycan without flashing the brake lights?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Other EV's do not have the free coast option at all. With Taycan you have the smart adaptive, mild regen and totally off.
btw, here is a description of the smart adaptive: "If it sees a clear road it wants to coast, using your kinetic energy rather than needlessly slowing. If there's a car ahead, it'll ramp up the regen." Sounds interesting.

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
I agree but the best thing is that with a Taycan you can choose between the 3 different settings. Other EV's do not have the free coast option at all. With Taycan you have the smart adaptive, mild regen and totally off. I'm pretty sure one of the settings will work for any driver.
My former generation 1 eGolf had default coasting, but you could select 4 regenration moduses, D1, D2, D3 and B.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Call me a bad driver, but I habitually "engine brake", whether it be downshifting with a manual transmission or with a "manu-matic". For one thing, it puts me in the optimum gear to accelerate out of the curve or away from the stoplight. I think it's also saved me a few speeding tickets when I've spotted highway patrol and rapidly decelerated without flashing the brake lights. Is it possible to rapidly decelerate the Taycan without flashing the brake lights?
I would doubt it. Generally even when I Regen in Bolt without break peddle it will light the break light above a certain g deceleration force. As the Taycan only has strong regen thru the break peddle I think a break light will be unavoidable. Sorry.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Car and Driver Tests Taycan 4S Dual Motor AWD System (Review) IMG_0709.PNG
I would doubt it. Generally even when I Regen in Bolt without break peddle it will light the break light above a certain g deceleration force. As the Taycan only has strong regen thru the break peddle I think a break light will be unavoidable. Sorry.
The good to know app says recoup starts when you lift of the accelerator

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
IMG_0709.PNG

Thanks for the pointer, I have also read much of the Good to Know app content, very handy.

The good to know app says recoup starts when you lift of the accelerator
in my test drive that region that it does when you take your foot off the pedal is pretty much like an automatic transmission in drive mode. It is very subtle and would most likely not light the brake lights at all. You would need to press a brake pedal. In that automatic mode then I assume it is able to apply significant region at which time it would light the brake lights.

in my post I did not mean to intend that it does not slow down when you lift off the accelerator oh, it is just that it is not a strong regen like some EVs have.

I wanted to make another point that the brake pedal will always be available as one could never have the accelerator apply 265 kilowatts of braking Force when you lift off, or the car would be scary for drivers that are not extremely well in control of feathering the accelerator.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

Additionally it has the mild regen all the time option, and friction free no breaking coast mode. To me the way Taycan has done it is better than any other EV so far.

But this is just based on what I've read. Will report more about this in a couple of months when I get my Taycan.
Yes, early on I was complaining about the lack of one-pedal driving, but when I heard a reviewer talking about the auto mode which reduces the need in city driving to flip between the pedals...

I am hopeful now, but I need to see this myself if this is a suitable replacement. However, Porsche wrote in an email to me: "Unfortunately, the production date and the arriving date of your vehicle is subject to many factors so it cannot be estimated currently." Ups! But at least Porsche had a guy come this week to check out where to install my home charger.
Sponsored