louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Have you tested the actual Route Planner in the Taycan? Is that what you refer to as “not yet ready for prime time”? I am aware of that the web based tool is not up to scratch yet, but had hoped the car would accurately show the route and suggested charging stations?

Any feed back appreciated .
I've been using the Route Planner in the iOS Connect App. That is the "not yet ready for prime time".

I haven't tried asking the car's navigation to take me to California. Yet. Maybe later today. It's below freezing outside, so I don't spend much time sitting in the car unless driving (except when charging it).

As for the "Porsche Intelligent Range Manager" option, the Connect Store says it is not available for my vehicle. No idea why... there's an open Support ticket escalating that issue to Germany. It's been about a week... I suspect there is a Software Update coming, and the feature requires that.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Also, whatever route planner I use, I need to be able to edit out certain types of stations: Like Nissan car dealerships. Or Harley Davidson Lifestyle Stores. I just can't imagine those places being too welcoming of a Porsche rolling up and using their electrons. My local BMW dealership purposely parks ICE cars in their charger spot to block random people from charging their cars.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website IMG_6720.PNG
Try plug share, didn't go in detail, but might work, more places than i thought

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
On second
IMG_6720.PNG
Try plug share, didn't go in detail, but might work, more places than i thought
I did this, we will see if it helps, I went on electrify America instagram and asked for a charger to be put in my area, they said they would pass it up the chain, you never know, I will keep watch. I am hoping by the time I get mine, it will be up.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
On second

I did this, we will see if it helps, I went on electrify America instagram and asked for a charger to be put in my area, they said they would pass it up the chain, you never know, I will keep watch. I am hoping by the time I get mine, it will be up.
The PlugShare map, does have a lot of charging stations illustrated, but many of them are tesla only, and many of them are 7 kW or even wall plugs, there are a few 50 KW stations in places like KOA Campground trailer spots. As for the maps/charts that show routes through the mountains of Colorado and or Utah and illustrate them in red indicating that you have to travel at a lower speed to make the span, I don’t think it would be wise to try to make 235 miles on the highway, even at reduced speed in the Taycan with no A/C on 100° day in Utah, only to be stranded in the middle of nowhere 20 miles from your destination, even though the chart says you should have 5% power left. I think the anxiety of doing this would override the pleasure of the trip to such an extent but I’ll let some other people try it first. Electrify America needs to build a real charging station in Green River Utah to solve this entire problem. (May be right next-door to the Tesla supercharger’s)

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
The PlugShare map, does have a lot of charging stations illustrated, but many of them are tesla only, and many of them are 7 kW or even wall plugs, there are a few 50 KW stations in places like KOA Campground trailer spots. As for the maps/charts that show routes through the mountains of Colorado and or Utah and illustrate them in red indicating that you have to travel at a lower speed to make the span, I don’t think it would be wise to try to make 235 miles on the highway, even at reduced speed in the Taycan with no A/C on 100° day in Utah, only to be stranded in the middle of nowhere 20 miles from your destination, even though the chart says you should have 5% power left. I think the anxiety of doing this would override the pleasure of the trip to such an extent but I’ll let some other people try it first. Electrify America needs to build a real charging station in Green River Utah to solve this entire problem. (May be right next-door to the Tesla supercharger’s)
Oops, yeah I see that now, hopefully they will.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
This is good to know, now they need to test the Taycans
I am still holding out hope for the 4s range, I really think it will be close to 300 miles in range mode. Might wrong, but I can hope..

https://insideevs.com/news/392789/evs-driven-until-battery-dead/
If you’ve ever driven through Colorado and Utah you would understand that The roads are as beautiful as they are challenging, there are several 4 to 5000 foot elevation climbs and descents, and the scenery vacillates from looking like you’re on the moon to looking like you’re in an old Western movie, with literally nothing as far as the eye can see in all directions except rocks and hills and forests and desert. You don’t wanna be stuck there, and even driving at 65 in Eco mode all the way (which kind of takes most of the fun out of the drive ) I wouldn’t trust it.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I live in Colorado and their is currently no way to drive I 70, the only east west way to get west of Colorado, The last usable charging station is in grand junction, near the western border of Colorado, and the next usable charging station is in Richfield Utah, approximately 235 miles away. The car will not spin that distance. I’ve studied all of the charging maps and there’s simply no way to get through without stopping at some little KOA campground and plugging in for an extended period of time. Does anyone see a solution that I missing? That particular spin through Colorado and Eastern Utah, is very mountainous with several very long climbs.
I think I found one, here is a 50 kw charger and stopping here would get you to richfield ut

Rocky Mountain power

400 N 1st W St, Moab, UT 84532, US

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think I found one, here is a 50 kw charger and stopping here would get you to richfield ut

Rocky Mountain power

400 N 1st W St, Moab, UT 84532, US
I am also hoping to be able to drive from Denver to Vegas this summer.

That’s a good tip. Moab is pretty far out of the way, especially for a 50 kw charger (driving + charging = approx extra two hours on an otherwise eleven hour trip).

EA’s website shows a site on the map below, which may not have ever made it further than some marketing graphic, that appears to be around Green River, UT, and would be perfect for this route. Still holding out hope this site will pop up on the website as coming soon.

Another option would be stopping for an hour at a campground off I-70 for an extra 20 miles of range. The stretch from Grand Junction to Richfield chargers at about 235 miles...may even be doable without a stop in between based on what I have read about real-world range.

Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website 1583724865766

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Td78 it looks pretty doable and I like your RV solution. The Moab charger though a DCFC is not fast at less than 50kW. So you would have to stop there for nearly an hour after the detour. Also only one charger so if someone else is there you are more toast.
You can probably make the journey with no extra stop if you drive slowly 62mph :( between 2nd and 3rd charge stop, else you add 20% or so at OK Anderson Park RV which would take 2hrs but then you could drive fast the whole route :cool:.

Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website Screenshot_20200308-225218
Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website Screenshot_20200308-225239
Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website Screenshot_20200308-225708

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is good to know, now they need to test the Taycans
I am still holding out hope for the 4s range, I really think it will be close to 300 miles in range mode. Might wrong, but I can hope..

https://insideevs.com/news/392789/evs-driven-until-battery-dead/
I wanted to point out the thread I have with a Porsche range calculator https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...mator-based-on-wltp-like-figures-for-usa.733/
The range difference of a 4S and a Turbo is less than 3% better with the Battery+ and warm conditions, but it shows ranges much higher than EPA though. I am hoping/expecting 250mi on my 4S at good speed on generally flatish i.e. less than 1000ft elevation changes and HVAC on ECO or fan only.

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in Colorado and their is currently no way to drive I 70, the only east west way to get west of Colorado, The last usable charging station is in grand junction, near the western border of Colorado, and the next usable charging station is in Richfield Utah, approximately 235 miles away. The car will not spin that distance. I’ve studied all of the charging maps and there’s simply no way to get through without stopping at some little KOA campground and plugging in for an extended period of time. Does anyone see a solution that I missing? That particular spin through Colorado and Eastern Utah, is very mountainous with several very long climbs.
‘Green River is coming soon!

Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website 0C138A7F-E4B9-427A-9290-6CCEE2F8D5A5
Sponsored