Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I’m assuming this bit is to protect a vulnerable area from chips but as soon as there’s any dust or dirt they stick out like a sore thumb on a light colour. To the point 3 people have pointed to them today alone to say “that bit looks a bit rubbish”

Is anyone else suffering with these? Any advice to keep them clean other than wash the car more often?

Porsche Taycan Annoying plastic paint protector? IMG_1700
Sponsored

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Got mine replaced with full-panel PPF of the doors.
Surely the end result is the same, this part of the car attracts dirt / stone chips, so will stand out unless you wash the car more frequently?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Surely the end result is the same, this part of the car attracts dirt / stone chips, so will stand out unless you wash the car more frequently?
Since the entire door is covered with PPF, only the edges of the door will attract dirt (they take this piece off when they apply the PPF). Now on a white car my PPF has a fair bit of dirt around the margins, but only visible at very very close range.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
In my experience, the issue wasn't the flat surface of the PPF, it was the leading edge that was trapping dirt.
(Edit- ninja'd by RD)

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not sure what I will be doing on the Taycan yet…
... but I had these protectors removed straight away on my M4.

I just did not want the edges peeling off and attracting grime/ dirt over time.
I got the new car Gtechniq ceramic coated… and the area is still generally OK. Yes, it has a few stone chips and some tiny rash marks… but I guess that is what is expected when I use a car.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I am not sure what I will be doing on the Taycan yet…
... but I had these protectors removed straight away on my M4.

I just did not want the edges peeling off and attracting grime/ dirt over time.
I got the new car Gtechniq ceramic coated… and the area is still generally OK. Yes, it has a few stone chips and some tiny rash marks… but I guess that is what is expected when I use a car.
I was warned by my SA that they were finding it necessary to do full-panel resprays on many incoming P/exes due to the flare in front of the wheel arch getting abraded by debris- even on vehicles with the motorised charge port covers blocking the front wheel vents. (They weren't offering PPF themselves).

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, the same was told to me when I goy my M4 (and on my previous M3)… and the flare on the BMW’s is not any less wider than the Taycan.
Yes, their will always be some debris and rash… but nothing that does not go with the age of my car.

I just did not like the idea of a dirty boundary line always visible… hence decided to remove it as soon as the car arrived. I’d rather have uniform wear around the area…. than a clear visible striking line.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
A lot of stylists put a flare in front of the rear tyre which gets peppered with grit from the front tyres. A small patch of PPF there is a common addition. The edge does look dirty after a while, particularly on pale colours.

I can’t see any way the air curtain vent could have any influence on this.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I’m assuming this bit is to protect a vulnerable area from chips but as soon as there’s any dust or dirt they stick out like a sore thumb on a light colour. To the point 3 people have pointed to them today alone to say “that bit looks a bit rubbish”

Is anyone else suffering with these? Any advice to keep them clean other than wash the car more often?

IMG_1700.jpeg
The Porsche PPF is thick and does a good job protecting the paint but it discolors to more of a yellow over time and shows dirt at the edge prominently. Even replacing the exact same area with one of the top 3 PPFs would look better. I did PPF on my entire car….in part because I dont like the seams which can collect dirt. My recommendation would be to go to a better PPF as it would look and wear better. If seams bother you do the whole door. Whichever you choose, ceramic protection would also be helpful in maintaining and protecting your car’s appearance. Gold luck!

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Thanks, I’ve already had ceramic protection on the entire car but I’ll look at ppf for these doors - otherwise those stuck on bits are going to drive me mad!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Thanks, I’ve already had ceramic protection on the entire car but I’ll look at ppf for these doors - otherwise those stuck on bits are going to drive me mad!
Annoyingly, I paid Porsche to ceramic coat my car for delivery before quickly realising that I needed better protection from hedgerow down narrow lanes. Despite my SA's warning about the inadequacy of the little piece of factory-standard PPF, I'd originally chickened out of handing my brand new Taycan to a third party for PPF installation. But once I'd bitten that bullet, I also benefit from feeling less concerned about minor contact from careless people's doors when parked.
I also got ceramic coat over the PPF, and one year on I can't visually detect a difference between the rear of the car, which wasn't PPF'd, and the rest that is PPF'd.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
My PPF installer removed these and it's replaced by full panel PPF. No visible edge and no risk of conspicuous discoloration relative to the paint. If the PPF goes bad, I assume it'll be consistently bad throughout!

pmas73

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
hi you all.
That factory ppf patch on one side of my taycan seems it starts to peel off. All of a sudden I can see small bubbles in the middle and on the edges. My fear is that the one on the edges will accumulate dirt which will make it peel off, also if at the moment it is just aesthetic and the patch does not lift.

can someone explain me how this happened (it was perfect until few days ago)

do you suggest to remove it? Do Porsche centers have spares and reapply them?

thank you

Porsche Taycan Annoying plastic paint protector? IMG_0126

pmas73

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seems like heating with hairdrier cured it…

but I don’t understand how it happened. Rocks? Or what?
Sponsored