ChargePoint vs Mobile Connect for home charging

MAPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2023.5 Defender, 2019 X1
Country flag
Looking for pros/cons of each

My car came with the Mobile Connect and Wall mount....slick set up and was looking forward to it....BUT...

In my state (CT) the only way to take advantage of a) installation rebate, b) charger cost rebate (moot if I don't buy a new charger) and c) discounted 'time of use' electricity rates, you need to have pretty much any WiFi enable charger OTHER THAN PORSCHE's. :(

Trying to decide if it is worth buying the ChargePoint to take advantage of all of the above.

Am I giving up any functionality but NOT using the Mobile Connect at home?

THANKS
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

My car came with the Mobile Connect and Wall mount....slick set up and was looking forward to it....BUT...

In my state (CT) the only way to take advantage of a) installation rebate, b) charger cost rebate (moot if I don't buy a new charger) and c) discounted 'time of use' electricity rates, you need to have pretty much any WiFi enable charger OTHER THAN PORSCHE's. :(

Trying to decide if it is worth buying the ChargePoint to take advantage of all of the above.

THANKS
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...uide-to-the-porsche-evse-pmc-pmcc-pwcc.13886/

charge point is well regarded and will serve you well if you intend to make the plunge - if it supports TOU rates I'd suggest you'll save money in the long run - the PMC+/PMCC have issues so I'm always up for not using them - but I'm biased, but not with out good reason.

Lawman

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 2024
Country flag
I have a ChargePoint Home Flex and a 2024 Taycan with onboard fast charger. You won’t lose any functionality and will gain more. The ChargePoint App has its own timer. The 2024 Taycan no longer has a charging timer. They discontinued it for this year. You set the Charpoint charger- which can be set for different times for each day if needed ( I have mine set for midnight to 6 am when my rates are lowest for each day); plug the charger into the car and forget it. At midnight it starts, no problems, and usually it takes 3 hours to get to 85%. Works perfectly. If I am going on a longer trip, on the Porsche App I turn on direct charging, and the battery fills to 100%.
the ChargePoint charger is excellent. When my daughter, who has a Tesla comes home, she uses the $27 adapter I bought on Amazon and she does the same thing. No problems. Highly recommend the ChargePoint which, coincidentally, was just chosen as the best home charger by Motor Trend magazine this week.
After I had this installed, and picked up my vehicle, my car came with a Porsche home charger, gratis, which I will sell on EBay. I was surprised the dealer did not tell me I would get one for free but the ChargePoint Home Fox is by far the better charger.
Since I live in SoCal, and have a large solar system, using the ChargePoint charger makes my charging virtually free since we generate an excess of juice and my electric bill is negligible.
ChargePoint is the way to go. Simple and effective and works seamlessly with the My Porsche app.

new2porsche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SQ7, 458, V60 P
Country flag
I have a ChargePoint Home Flex and a 2024 Taycan with onboard fast charger. You won’t lose any functionality and will gain more. The ChargePoint App has its own timer. The 2024 Taycan no longer has a charging timer. They discontinued it for this year. You set the Charpoint charger- which can be set for different times for each day if needed ( I have mine set for midnight to 6 am when my rates are lowest for each day); plug the charger into the car and forget it. At midnight it starts, no problems, and usually it takes 3 hours to get to 85%. Works perfectly. If I am going on a longer trip, on the Porsche App I turn on direct charging, and the battery fills to 100%.
the ChargePoint charger is excellent. When my daughter, who has a Tesla comes home, she uses the $27 adapter I bought on Amazon and she does the same thing. No problems. Highly recommend the ChargePoint which, coincidentally, was just chosen as the best home charger by Motor Trend magazine this week.
After I had this installed, and picked up my vehicle, my car came with a Porsche home charger, gratis, which I will sell on EBay. I was surprised the dealer did not tell me I would get one for free but the ChargePoint Home Fox is by far the better charger.
Since I live in SoCal, and have a large solar system, using the ChargePoint charger makes my charging virtually free since we generate an excess of juice and my electric bill is negligible.
ChargePoint is the way to go. Simple and effective and works seamlessly with the My Porsche app.
I also have a 2024 but I seem to have the timer options in my car. I too have the ChargePoint Flex at home. That being said, even thought I set the charge limit to 85% the car keeps charging to 100%. Direct charge is not selected and I have my general profile set to 85%. Any idea what might be going on here?

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
We have been using a ChargePoint Flex for the last two years. We are on time of use power and have the chargpoint use the power company schedule to only charge when it's the cheapest. It's easy to override when needed via the app.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
HomeFlex for 2 yrs with zero issues - flawless, small footprint, full wireless capabilities, looks classy - no complaints :)

Lawman

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 2024
Country flag
I also have a 2024 but I seem to have the timer options in my car. I too have the ChargePoint Flex at home. That being said, even thought I set the charge limit to 85% the car keeps charging to 100%. Direct charge is not selected and I have my general profile set to 85%. Any idea what might be going on here?
My dealer set my profile in the car not with the My Porsche app. Try resetting it using the vehicle settings not the app. Also, reboot and reset the schedule in the ChargePoint charger through the ChargePoint app. It sounds like direct charging is defaulting even though it is not selected on the Amy Porsche app. I have a basic Taycan 2024. Mine shows it has a timer but the dealer explained the charging timer does not work on the 2024 so don’t use or set that for the timer. Just the ChargePoint app. Finally, be sure you set the ChargePoint settings for each day. That is all that I did and it only charges to 85% unless I override it and choose direct charging on the My Porsche app.

Cowtownhusker

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4S CT, 2022 LR D110, 1989 LR D90
Country flag
My dealer set my profile in the car not with the My Porsche app. Try resetting it using the vehicle settings not the app. Also, reboot and reset the schedule in the ChargePoint charger through the ChargePoint app. It sounds like direct charging is defaulting even though it is not selected on the Amy Porsche app. I have a basic Taycan 2024. Mine shows it has a timer but the dealer explained the charging timer does not work on the 2024 so don’t use or set that for the timer. Just the ChargePoint app. Finally, be sure you set the ChargePoint settings for each day. That is all that I did and it only charges to 85% unless I override it and choose direct charging on the My Porsche app.
Have you found the state of charge home screen on the my Porsche app nonoperational with ChargePoint EVSE? My my Porsche charging screen is locked with this information displayed:

Porsche Taycan ChargePoint vs Mobile Connect for home charging IMG_1159

Randylip

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 taycan
Country flag

THANKS
Due to recall, I bought Juice Box 40 amp works great and very fast charging of my Taycan. Cost $549.00 from Amazon. Easy to install.

C130

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Hybrid, 24 Taycan
Country flag
Dealer just gave me a Chargepoint Homeflex. I already had a 240v outlet from a previous RV, same plug. I just connected the wires, mounted it to the wall, and plugged it in. App is excellent and very easy to use, so are the instructions. Easy to program and nice to see the exact daily charging costs. I can’t imagine one being much, if any better.
Sponsored