Clipper Creek Public Charger Issue

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are clipper creek chargers at the airport. If I have my Taycan set to timed charging, the clipper creek goes nuts and keeps turning on and off with a loud audible clicking noise. If I select direct charging, there is no issue. I was wondering if there was a faulty charger at the airport but today I parked in a public parking garage and experienced exactly the same issue. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a work around?

On my Tesla, there was a way to reduce charging current when using non-fast chargers. Is there a way of doing that with the Taycan?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
direct charging is what I use for public charging - there is no way to adjust charge rate with the vehicle software that I've discovered.

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
direct charging is what I use for public charging - there is no way to adjust charge rate with the vehicle software that I've discovered.
Thank you. I was playing with PCM for 20 mins and could not find an option anywhere. Quick google did not yield any results either so presumably not a current feature.

Are you aware why the public clipper creek stations flip out if you’re using profiles or timers?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
if the charger you are trying to use is a L3 fast charger the settings you've set in the PCM are irrelevant.
if the charger is an L2 and you are having issues with it because of your timer settings set up a different charging profile without any timers and switch to that profile when trying to charge.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Thank you. I was playing with PCM for 20 mins and could not find an option anywhere. Quick google did not yield any results either so presumably not a current feature.

Are you aware why the public clipper creek stations flip out if you’re using profiles or timers?
It seems a known problem to start charging on public chargers with timer. Here is an extract from the manual. As said above try using a profile with XY% instead and de activate all timers. That has worked fine for me.
Porsche Taycan Clipper Creek Public Charger Issue 5C6FA0E6-1CBB-4D5C-B840-C7CB1CBBA5E2

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
if the charger you are trying to use is a L3 fast charger the settings you've set in the PCM are irrelevant.
if the charger is an L2 and you are having issues with it because of your timer settings set up a different charging profile without any timers and switch to that profile when trying to charge.
It seems a known problem to start charging on public chargers with timer. Here is an extract from the manual. As said above try using a profile with XY% instead and de activate all timers. That has worked fine for me.
5C6FA0E6-1CBB-4D5C-B840-C7CB1CBBA5E2.png
Awesome, thank you.

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just called Clipper Creek and had a nice conversation with their tech support. He explained the handshake process of communication between the Taycan and their unit which is causing this problem. He said that all of their units will have the same behavior so if I purchase a Clipper Creek unit for home and use the timer, it will cause the same issue. Basically if the car is not charging, there is an endless communication loop between the car and the Clipper Creek starting and ending a brief charging session. He explained that both are operating within the J1772 safety standards but it is kind of a grey area. He said CC is working on a fix and expects to have this rolled out in 6-10 weeks with new units.

Does anyone have a Clipper Creek unit at home that they cannot use with a timer because of this issue? What units out there do not cause an issue interacting with the Porsche timer?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

Ajes

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Highl. Hybrid, Civic HB, Taycan 4s order
Country flag
I just called Clipper Creek and had a nice conversation with their tech support. He explained the handshake process of communication between the Taycan and their unit which is causing this problem. He said that all of their units will have the same behavior so if I purchase a Clipper Creek unit for home and use the timer, it will cause the same issue. Basically if the car is not charging, there is an endless communication loop between the car and the Clipper Creek starting and ending a brief charging session. He explained that both are operating within the J1772 safety standards but it is kind of a grey area. He said CC is working on a fix and expects to have this rolled out in 6-10 weeks with new units.

Does anyone have a Clipper Creek unit at home that they cannot use with a timer because of this issue? What units out there do not cause an issue interacting with the Porsche timer?
I have a clipper creek unit at home and it works with the timer where it charges to 85% by 6 am when I plug it in.

Porsche Taycan Clipper Creek Public Charger Issue B80C7E8D-50D3-4B82-B184-12A1B5AEAD6E