First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
We are off on a longer journey later this week,
Enjoy Anglesea – an "island" every Irish person who travels to the UK through Holyhead is familiar with!

Porsche Centre in Chester always a friendly place to get a fast 250 kW charge from if you need it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Enjoy Anglesea – an "island" every Irish person who travels to the UK through Holyhead is familiar with!

Porsche Centre in Chester always a friendly place to get a fast 250 kW charge from if you need it.
Thanks!
Yes I am used to seeing a lot of Irish number plates on the A5.

I am going to try my normal route which is A34/M40/M54/A5 through Snowdonia. It is prettier and shorter than the sat-nav recommended “fastest”

I am planning a charge stop at Porsche Wolverhampton, just of the M54 then a top up at The Rhug Estate at Corwen on the A5.

Not seeing much charging opportunity on the island and I tried out the supplied charger which on 100% only gives 2.3 kW with a 13A socket so almost 2 days to charge the car using it…

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not seeing much charging opportunity on the island and I tried out the supplied charger which on 100% only gives 2.3 kW with a 13A socket so almost 2 days to charge the car using it…
Yeah, that looks tricky alright.

Looking at Plugshare there are a few reliable looking 50 kW chargers at Llangefni Town Hall or Menai Bridge Library – it might be worth your time swinging by one of those while you're there and giving it an hours charge to complement the 13A drip feed.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Yeah, that looks tricky alright.

Looking at Plugshare there are a few reliable looking 50 kW chargers at Llangefni Town Hall or Menai Bridge Library – it might be worth your time swinging by one of those while you're there and giving it an hours charge to complement the 13A drip feed.
Llangefni looks promising, 5 50kW places there, Menai Bridge Wood Street (where my daughter bought her first house) is closest.
Not as expensive as some either.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Exactly. Hate is a bit strong for me, but I avoid Bose at home. I find the delivery to be a bit bright and clinical. Personal taste though.
BOSE is the Johnny Walker of the audio world.

It's there for the consumer who wants "good", but otherwise knows nothing about the thing they are buying.

The reason BOSE is in a Porsche car is nothing more than it being an audio brand with one the biggest marketing budgets in that particular vertical.

Where you have a mid-range brand and have exhausted conventional marketing channels to your AB audience, you look to product placements and partnerships in places where you know they will hang out or buy or both.

Last edited:

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I am pretty convinced that OEM upgraded audio systems for EVs have specific weight and consumption requirements that make them difficult to compare with their ICE counterparts. I would be interested in aftermarket options that take these two key design criteria into consideration in pursuit of high end audio quality.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am pretty convinced that OEM upgraded audio systems for EVs have specific weight and consumption requirements that make them difficult to compare with their ICE counterparts. I would be interested in aftermarket options that take these two key design criteria into consideration in pursuit of high end audio quality.
Certainly in this early clip – just when the Taycan came to market – they were talking up the BOSE amplifiers ability to reduce its power consumption when able to:

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
Bose actually make excellent lifestyle products and the sound is generally above average. I have heard quite a few of their products over the years and i have always been impressed. Recently i tried various soundbars and the Bose 700 was the clear winner of the ones i tried and kept.
I don’t actually get the Bose hate, as someone who is heavily invested in audio from dj’ing in my younger years and now a huge home cinema fan i find the products generally very good for their intended purpose.
I have my cinema that I personally built for a point of reference.
Edit, are the Bose drivers in the Taycan actually different to the base system? It wouldn’t surprise me if all that was different was a more powerful amplifier and some dsp tweaks.

Porsche Taycan First impressions of standard audio system (compared to Bose system) EBA66676-682A-46F3-AD84-57C8286E114E

Porsche Taycan First impressions of standard audio system (compared to Bose system) 54B19809-45FB-4368-88D3-725EB3830F2D

Last edited:

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
This is an interesting post for me. I think one thing that is hard about audio is it's extremely subjective. For example when someone says something sounds good they could be looking at areas like transparency, or want earth shaking bass, or prefer a rolled off soft sound. If you listen to jazz or you listen to kendrick lamar your tastes are different and what stereo sounds good is different. For some people making it good means turning up the bass and for some it means imaging.

I personally have a stereo at home with tube amps, ribbon tweeters and multiple high end subwoofers through a vinyl setup. It's a pricy system and a baseline for me when I say something sounds good. Most people think airpod pros sound great but I personally find them a little 'digital.' This isnt to say my tastes are right but what I am looking for is different than the average person.

If the idea of ribbon tweeters in a car excites you then burmester would be the choice. If you listen to podcasts all day or dont care, then dont bother. I think bose would be enough for 90% of the world.

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
A flat response is desired anything else is just preference. I would imagine this is all done digitally much how you would calibrate a room. All that glass would likely roll off the high end and possibly reduce the low end, the heavy battery floor may reinforce the bottom end too.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Edit, are the Bose drivers in the Taycan actually different to the base system? It wouldn’t surprise me if all that was different was a more powerful amplifier and some dsp tweaks.
I'm not sure if speakers are exactly the same but one thing is sure, they are damn cheap. Burmester are made of aluminum by ASK. Name is pure marketing.
Standard and Bose speakers are made of paper and plastic, they don't belong in a 150k car.

Look at the the tiny subwoofer magnet that I replaced it with a real one.

Porsche goal was to achieve best possible sound for least amount of money.

Porsche Taycan First impressions of standard audio system (compared to Bose system) Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.06.31 PM

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
I'm not sure if speakers are exactly the same but one thing is sure, they are damn cheap. Burmester are made of aluminum by ASK. Name is pure marketing.
Standard and Bose speakers are made of paper and plastic, they don't belong in a 150k car.

Look at the the tiny subwoofer magnet that I replaced it with a real one.

Porsche goal was to achieve best possible sound for least amount of money.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.06.31 PM.png
Was the driver a straight swap? I may do this.

Mr Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S (going), Taycan RWD (incoming)
Country flag
It isn’t fair because I have spent my life in motor racing and have unusually acute hearing for my age and my wife, who is a professional musician, is going deaf.

You may well disagree, that is up to you, my frame of reference is live concerts of mainly unamplified music, orchestras and choirs and so forth plus a home stereo system which cost more than my Taycan - not other car stereos

Overall I am really pleased with it which is a bonus since. I expected meh.
Fair enough - I was just joking, not wanting to offend you at all. I am part of a family with many professional classical musicians spanning three generations, and also dislike the artificial 'Hollywood' type of bass heavy sound that many current systems seem to display.

I add though that I am far from critical regarding my home and car audio and can enjoy sounds coming out of rather cheap stuff. It's only that this Taycan base audio is the first one that is so bad that it actually hurts my ears, especially with higher volume settings. The harsh audio spikes cannot be dialed out either due to the simplistic 'equalizing' feature of just treble and bass. It almost seems Porsche did this purposely in order to coax customers into more expensive audio options.

I'm happy for you that you can enjoy your choice. I would guess though that most users on this forum disagree, so a caution would be in place: don't order the base sound system if you have not heard it.

4MBN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5, TTSCT
Country flag
I am planning a charge stop at Porsche Wolverhampton, just of the M54 then a top up at The Rhug Estate at Corwen on the A5.
Hi Frank

Your car looks lovely, glad you’re enjoying so far.

Porsche Wolverhampton have recently upgraded two units to 320kw, and if you didn’t know the OPC is on the roundabout of the M54 junction.

Be careful, the entrance to the OPC is literally just to the left of the road to get back onto the M54 and easy to confuse.
Sponsored