TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
As I understood from the brochure only the annual fee is offered for 3 years for new European taycan owners.

What is also interesting is that there is no "parking fee" if you use a IONITY charger.

Note 1) from broschure
"Porsche Taycan customers do not pay a basic fee for new vehicles for the Porsche Charging Service (or the respective successor product) for up to 3 years after booking the service. In the event of a product
adjustment, the customer may have to re-book the successor product. "
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
As I understood from the brochure only the annual fee is offered for 3 years for new European taycan owners.

What is also interesting is that there is no "parking fee" if you use a IONITY charger.

Note 1) from broschure
"Porsche Taycan customers do not pay a basic fee for new vehicles for the Porsche Charging Service (or the respective successor product) for up to 3 years after booking the service. In the event of a product
adjustment, the customer may have to re-book the successor product. "
German owners have free charging for 3 years

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I had originally mistakenly interpreted free membership to the Porsche Charging Service as "free Charging". What it is, in my understanding, is membership to a service that gets users reduced rates for Charging. In case of Ionity, greatly reduced rates like 1/3 the cost. And normal membership is like $20/month.

See
Bjørn Nyland Checks Out If IONITY Prices Are Really That Bad
I thought the same thing, interesting

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Same as Fastned, Allego and Maingau at €0,35/kWh.
Ionity is the only one with 350kW chargers though but I'll hardly use them anyway.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Same as Fastned, Allego and Maingau at €0,35/kWh.
Ionity is the only one with 350kW chargers though but I'll hardly use them anyway.
Yes, I saw that it was very similar to the competition. I think that the real value of the article is to say that the "new Ionity pricing" is not crazy expensive like so many initial articles were saying. That is - unless you don't have a plan.

I totally agree that DCFC is only needed on roadtrips. Though I hope to take many after I retire and thus my confirming of 14-way, heated, cooled massage seats, :cool:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Good plan ron_b! Nice stats for that purpose. And you plan to really use the car for what it was designed to do.

The thing I do not understand in the pdf is the per minute fee on top of the kWh fee. How is that thought to be charged. They are differentiated between the different charging speeds, but 350 kW (or max 270 for Taycan) is only applicable for a fairly short time IF the cars charge level AND the cars battery temperature is correct etc etc. Will the charge just depend on the theoretical max capacity of the charger?

Seems a crazy and complicated way of administrating accounts. Charging company desperate to cream off the early adopters!

Guess all of this will change rapidly once more cars will be on the road and charging networks will start competing for business.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Per minute fee incentivizes not sitting in the charger spot if your car isn't charging very fast. Since rates aren't constant, they'd like you to leave after you get to 80% :p

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Per minute fee incentivizes not sitting in the charger spot if your car isn't charging very fast. Since rates aren't constant, they'd like you to leave after you get to 80% :p
Well @Scandinavian and @Miwa I think most Charge providers like Electrify America (and Tesla) have steep idle fees that start after 10min of charging stop to get folks out of the parking spot. Like $0.40/min for EA. The per-minute fee promotes people who have slow charging cars or are near full so charging slowly like below 50kW to stop and leave. The issue with only having a per kWh fee is that there is no incentive for people to leave as the charge slows down and they tie up a very constrained resource. By having a combination of fees they protect themselves from cars that have very high charging speeds with cause them to pay extra fees for the utility feed and protect their constrained resource from plug hogs allowing more customers to come through. I think that it is one of the best solutions as long as the final cost is not too outrageous.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I saw that it was very similar to the competition. I think that the real value of the article is to say that the "new Ionity pricing" is not crazy expensive like so many initial articles were saying. That is - unless you don't have a plan.

I totally agree that DCFC is only needed on roadtrips. Though I hope to take many after I retire and thus my confirming of 14-way, heated, cooled massage seats, :cool:
Well @Scandinavian and @Miwa I think most Charge providers like Electrify America (and Tesla) have steep idle fees that start after 10min of charging stop to get folks out of the parking spot. Like $0.40/min for EA. The per-minute fee promotes people who have slow charging cars or are near full so charging slowly like below 50kW to stop and leave. The issue with only having a per kWh fee is that there is no incentive for people to leave as the charge slows down and they tie up a very constrained resource. By having a combination of fees they protect themselves from cars that have very high charging speeds with cause them to pay extra fees for the utility feed and protect their constrained resource from plug hogs allowing more customers to come through. I think that it is one of the best solutions as long as the final cost is not too outrageous.
Thanks both.
I completely agree with the idling fees once the car is charged. Like Tesla do it. But looking at some of the experiences of the early owners on here , it seems the charging can vary quite a lot. See @ Louv etc.
I guess nobody really knows the real costs as yet? We will find out for sure.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I now have seen several 3rd party articles mentioning free Taycan Charging in Europe and now I see it on Porsche website also, EU folks should check in their country.

EU pricing info

Also I see an incredible pricing for Electrify America for USA Taycans after the free 30min session of $0.25 per min. Nonplan price is $0.99.

https://connect-store.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-charging-service--taycan-/p/taycan_charging_US_v1
EA pricing details attached now to leading post
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/free-charging-for-taycan-for-3-years.794/

Last edited:

B777

First Name
BP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911SC,Panamera S,Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Since Jan 2019 there have been articles that Porsche will be offering free charging for 3 years.

All this new hype for Ionity charging costs I believe is created by Tesla fans to further attack Porsche.

Porsche offers 3 years free fast charging (limit 30min session)
With everyone on some form of national stay at home program I hope Porsche will extend their free three years since it’s not usable now for travelers .
3 years Free Electrify America
EA pricing details attached (update April 2020)
3 years Free Electrify Canada
EU pricing info (update April 2020)
3 years free membership with special pricing for Ionity for Europe (Update)
General Charging Porsche Article

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I now have seen several 3rd party articles mentioning free Taycan Charging in Europe and now I see it on Porsche website also, EU folks should check in their country.

EU pricing info

Ron I still see the same wording here in Europe that the charging service in Europe is free of charge but the kWh is still 0.33 Euro! So no change. I think it is not so clearly worded so that people think it is completely free of charge.

If you have any links to articles from Europe I can check. German, French or UK is fine

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ron I still see the same wording here in Europe that the charging service in Europe is free of charge but the kWh is still 0.33 Euro! So no change. I think it is not so clearly worded so that people think it is completely free of charge.

If you have any links to articles from Europe I can check. German, French or UK is fine
Oh, I am sorry if I am mis reading this. I think that I would need a VPN to appear to be in Europe to correctly see. When I visit the EU link it speaks of Ionity and then the 30min sessions so that's why I thought a change was made. So you say when looking at it from Europe it still seems to only cover the 3 years of membership with reduced charging fees.

I will try to be more careful.
Sponsored