GM follows Ford with NACS Tesla charge port adoption -- time to ditch CCS1 (at least the physcial design)

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
it shouldn't work - your vehicle/vendor needs to be authorized - so far only Ford's will work.
Rivians work too, and there are now several brands of non-Tesla EVs (including Hyundais and Kias) in the Tesla app, which was recently overhauled.

Check the map link I posted and click on a specific Supercharger to see the details about that site.

Here’s the site I’m talking about:

Porsche Taycan GM follows Ford with NACS Tesla charge port adoption -- time to ditch CCS1 (at least the physcial design) IMG_4689
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ok so we're up to Ford, Rivian - other's are next but not yet…
We’ll see.

I added hypothetical BMW and Mercedes EVs to my Tesla account and my local Supercharger shows as an available charging location for those vehicles right now:

Porsche Taycan GM follows Ford with NACS Tesla charge port adoption -- time to ditch CCS1 (at least the physcial design) IMG_4690

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
from what I've seen there is _NO_ filtering in the app - but actual charging sessions are based on vendor/vehicle authorization - so the app showing you a location means very little - when you pull up to a station and attempt start the session you'll get a "not authorized" message from the Tesla charging app…once the stations talks to the vehicle.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There’s literally a filter in the app to choose your specific non-Tesla EV, and I have a Tesla account, so I presume that fact will authorize the session once I tell the app which charging post I’m using, but again, we’ll see…

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
I suggest asking the adapter manufacturer before buying. Here was the response from A2Z:

Porsche Taycan GM follows Ford with NACS Tesla charge port adoption -- time to ditch CCS1 (at least the physcial design) 2609334c9f6b9141a4363494bf575db13e45d26774c34a5681
A2Z EV
Hi there, The Typhoon plug will work on your car, but you will need to wait for Tesla to give access to their superchargers to Porsche first, which is set to be in 2025. We recommend you waiting before buying this adapter. Thank you

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suggest asking the adapter manufacturer before buying. Here was the response from A2Z:

2609334c9f6b9141a4363494bf575db13e45d26774c34a5681.png
A2Z EV
Hi there, The Typhoon plug will work on your car, but you will need to wait for Tesla to give access to their superchargers to Porsche first, which is set to be in 2025. We recommend you waiting before buying this adapter. Thank you
My calculus is:
I'm going to need the adapter anyway, and it will take me 10 minutes to try it out at my local Supercharger, so I’m gonna try it.
If it doesn’t work now, that’s okay - I’ll be set for whenever access is granted.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
My calculus is:
I'm going to need the adapter anyway, and it will take me 10 minutes to try it out at my local Supercharger, so I’m gonna try it.
If it doesn’t work now, that’s okay - I’ll be set for whenever access is granted.
I kept my order, since the A2Z CEO is optimistic that our i4 might gain access as early as June.
Taycan though, he thinks early 2025.
The adapter arrived yesterday, but I'm not going to bother testing it, since by all accounts, 0% chance it will do anything now.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
[...] I added hypothetical BMW and Mercedes EVs to my Tesla account and my local Supercharger shows as an available charging location for those vehicles right now:

[...]
Hmm, that's gotta be some sort of temporary mistake?
The Tesla website clearly shows that as available only to NACS (i.e., Tesla, Ford, Rivian), and when I look within my Tesla phone app, set up for my wife's i4, that location does not appear.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I kept my order, since the A2Z CEO is optimistic that our i4 might gain access as early as June.
Taycan though, he thinks early 2025.
The adapter arrived yesterday, but I'm not going to bother testing it, since by all accounts, 0% chance it will do anything now.
I wonder if there is a way to try it in a SC with a magic dock, but instead of the magic doc. Maybe plug it in first, then activate a session once already plugged in through the adapter. It would tell us if magic dock is anything special.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
That's officially news from over three months ago.
(But I clicked through in the hopeless hope that the press release was announcing TSCN right now, in which case I was going to drop everything I was doing and drive to the nearest compatible charger just for the fun of it ... block two or three chargers like I instructed my wife to do yesterday at the Magic Dock, given that out of a dozen chargers only one or two are typically occupied, so whatever.)

jcroix

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
That's officially news from over three months ago.
(But I clicked through in the hopeless hope that the press release was announcing TSCN right now, in which case I was going to drop everything I was doing and drive to the nearest compatible charger just for the fun of it ... block two or three chargers like I instructed my wife to do yesterday at the Magic Dock, given that out of a dozen chargers only one or two are typically occupied, so whatever.)
Agreed, but it’s the first time that I’ve searched for NACS and Porsche that I’ve had a hit that said that Porsche was adopting the NACS plug :). I don’t know why it didn’t pop up as a hit prior times that I’ve done it (at least once per month).

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
An recent post from the former President of Porsche Cars North America:
Porsche Taycan GM follows Ford with NACS Tesla charge port adoption -- time to ditch CCS1 (at least the physcial design) IMG_0256
Sponsored