GM follows Ford with NACS Tesla charge port adoption -- time to ditch CCS1 (at least the physcial design)

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
And here’s a screen capture from a video posted to the EA FB group showing how during a remote software update anyone could come up the screen and take control!

Porsche Taycan GM follows Ford with NACS Tesla charge port adoption -- time to ditch CCS1 (at least the physcial design) IMG_5415

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
And here’s a screen capture from a video posted to the EA FB group showing how during a remote software update anyone could come up the screen and take control!

IMG_5415.jpeg
One interesting point that the Ford CEO made is the first plug statistic number was 70%. That of course does not account for failed charging when the driver noticed that the charger is out of service so didn't even bother plugging in. Porsche apparently thinks that is an acceptable experience, or else they'd be all over enabling the better ownership experience to existing owners by providing them with the TSCN access like Ford. Or, maybe Porsche numbers tell them most people do not DC charge, but rather buy Porsche brand as a status symbol, so DC charging experience is irrelevant.

I'm with @daveo4EV on this point - my next EV will not be a Porsche until they offer TSCN access (or somehow manage to scale the Porsche charging lounges to match Tesla reliability and penetration).

Reactions: DRR

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Did anyone else catch the fact that Jim said their software is somehow verifying a genuine adapter? I would not be surprised if this was something Elon insisted on.
Probably for safety or liability reasons since I’m sure Ford and Tesla would be sued if an inferior adapter bricked the car or worse caused an injury.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Probably for safety or liability reasons since I’m sure Ford and Tesla would be sued if an inferior adapter bricked the car or worse caused an injury.
Or just as likely to avoid possibly damaging the Supercharger. It's a Tesla moneymaker after all. For all we know, they worked with Ford on the adapter design... for a consulting fee, of course.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Or just as likely to avoid possibly damaging the Supercharger. It's a Tesla moneymaker after all. For all we know, they worked with Ford on the adapter design... for a consulting fee, of course.
Tesla already had an adapter designed - the magic dock. Unless of course the magic dock came out of the Ford effort.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
No Magic Docks anywhere near me yet. I wasn't sure if they had all the same authentication protocols.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I watched the State of Charge review of the A2Z adapter and Tom mentioned that the charging session can be started from either from PnC, Tesla App or the Fordpass App. If PnC wasn't working, and it's started from the Tesla App, how would the TSCN know that it's a Ford vs. a VW vs. something else? What in the protocol is it able to identify this without PnC?

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
Tesla's website suggests that the Supercharger about a mile from my house is now compatible with CCS EVs, so I ordered an adapter to try it out (on our GV60).

Hoping for the best...

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tesla's website suggests that the Supercharger about a mile from my house is now compatible with CCS EVs, so I ordered an adapter to try it out (on our GV60).

Hoping for the best...
Why do you need an adapter? Doesn't that mean the charging devices are equipped with Tesla magic dock adapters for CCS EVs?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Hoping for the best...
if it's compatible with CCS vehicle's there are "magic dock" at the site - you'll use the Tesla app to start a charging session and it will release the magicDocks which are CCS1 adapters for all existing CCS1 vehicles.

it would be an interesting experiment to see if a BYOA (Bring your own adapter) works - but I can't see how the mechanics of the dock-release and the BYOA could be tested…when the cable is "released" for non-Tesla charging the MagicDock-adapter is "locked" onto the end of the cable so you can't "swap" them for testing it out.

Last edited:

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
if it's compatible with CCS vehicle's there are "magic dock" at the site - you'll use the Tesla app to start a charging session and it will release the magicDocks which are CCS1 adapters for all existing CCS1 vehicles.

it would be an interesting experiment to see if a BYOA (Bring your own adapter) works - but I can't see how the mechanics of the dock-release and the BYOA could be tested…when the cable is "released" for non-Tesla charging the MagicDock-adapter is "locked" onto the end of the cable so you can't "swap" them for testing it out.
Tesla updated their website to show which Supercharger locations are compatible with CCS vehicles:
CCS compatible Superchargers in the US

…so I don’t think a Magic Dock is involved anymore, and that’s why I need the adapter. The Superchargers close to me don’t have Magic Docks, yet they show as CCS compatible.

I’ll know one way or the other for certain soon enough.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Tesla updated their website to show which Supercharger locations are compatible with CCS vehicles:
CCS compatible Superchargers in the US

…so I don’t think a Magic Dock is involved anymore, and that’s why I need the adapter. The Superchargers close to me don’t have Magic Docks, yet they show as CCS compatible.

I’ll know one way or the other for certain soon enough.
it shouldn't work - your vehicle/vendor needs to be authorized - so far only Ford's will work.
Sponsored