Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Could you be so polite and write a few less messages about T in this Porsche Taycan forum? ;) :giggle:
Come on, you have no post without mentioning Tesla...
I've never start a post quote Tesla. But reacted on some unbalanced ones that brought up Tesla, keeping our mind clear. Pro and con as well. Heir for example explained why the Taycan's regen system maybe better than Tesla's.
But never started (or finished) with pejorative pronouncement like you do.

Finally please check out the title of this topic: 'Help! Calling ex Tesla Model 3 owners":giggle:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
More efficient with overrun recup off.
Overrun recup settings are for driving dynamics.

See this post.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/recuperation-modes.5718/#post-79271
Thank you. I read your post but in there, you say that "It should be preferred to use the motor and battery over the friction brakes for the following reasons: putting the energy back into the battery will increase the range (relative to friction braking)". This tells me that it is preferable to have overrun recup ON for better range. Am I understanding this correctly?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
This tells me that it is preferable to have overrun recup ON for better range. Am I understanding this correctly?
No, it’s better to coast.

The car uses regen when you press the brake regardless of settings.

Helixer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Carrera 991.2 and 2020 Cayenne
Country flag
I have had a number of BMW M cars and big petrol cars. My last Car was a M3P and I sold it and ordered a Taycan 4s. The Taycan is slower on paper but not in actual driving.

The model 3 is a wonder of technology. Its logical, it all worked well. Its fast. But it grows boring. Tesla do everything in their power to shield you from having to interact with the car. The car does nothing to entice you to drive fast. If anything you get into a more sedate type of driving. Sure there is straight line speed, but that grows old pretty quickly. Also the M3P performance degrades quickly with decreasing charge levels, and I found below 70% it was fairly ordinary.

The interior of the Tesla is kinda cool at first, so minimal. But after you sit in it for a few thousand km you realise its a fairly cheap place. Somebody else described like IKEA furniture, cool design, cheap execution. I have no problems with build quality, it just was not luxury.

It all depends on what you want and what you are coming from. I really have nothing bad to say about tesla. They do exactly what they say on the tin. They have democratised performance. I think a lot of the time Tesla owners are evangelical about them. Often their new tesla is the best car they have ever purchased, and they mistake that for it being the best car in the world. They also focus on panel gaps and other issues like children that dont know this effects all manufacturers. (I had a 997.1 so I know about build quality issues let me tell you)

The Taycan has one major advantage. It looks great and its more uncommon. Where I live every second car is a model 3 or model S, and if you choose the performance variant, there is little to show you forked out the extra cash. The Porsche is a lot more configurable to your individual taste (albeit at a price).

I have not taken delivery of the Porsche yet (Jan 22 - its already built and in transit). But my level of excitement is far greater than it was with the tesla. I feel like I am getting back into cars, the tesla made me fell like I was out.
Good points. My lengthy history of car ownership is testament to the creeping boredom factor. Although that can be a bit costly, the same phenomenon in the case of female relationships can be crushing :)

Since I rarely keep my vehicles more than 2-3 years, I likely won't have a problem. I try to stay is the "happy" mode Jhenson so aptly refers to, as difficult as that can be, although there have been times when I get "sad" real fast. I also experience another emotion on that spectrum...respect. Certain cars have given me pure joy (my 911's), pure frustration (2013 BMW M3), and pure satisfaction (2014 Cayenne Diesel). The latter being a case of love through respect.

I'm hedging my bet by holding on to my 991.2.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a Tesla Model 3 performance and i am strongly considering moving to a Taycan RWD or 4S however before i do this i would be really grateful if any ex Tesla Model 3 owners could provide their own insights including any regrets in making a similar move. I have made a list of the key areas that i think i would miss if i left Tesla:
  • One pedal driving
  • 0-60 3.1s without needing launch control
  • Tesla Auto pilot
  • Integrated dash cam and sentry mode
  • Supercharger network
  • Lack of regular servicing requirements
  • Tesla app
  • Understated looks
  • Considerably cheaper
So again any feedback whatsoever would be appreciated : )

Thanks!
  • One pedal driving - not quite, as it's a different interpretation in the Taycan, more regen in Taycan but through the brake pedal as well, although full regen setting is good
  • 0-60 3.1s without needing launch control - 4S has been timed at 3.4s but even if it is 3.8s its still plenty fast enough and will be as quick as the M3P in mid range acceleration RWD won't be.
  • Tesla Auto pilot - Innodrive is better in that it is more reliable and doesn't phantom brake, based on my 4 year Tesla experience.
  • Integrated dash cam and sentry mode - Nope you will lose this
  • Supercharger network - depends on your needs and where you live but not an issue for me, rapid charging infrastructure has worked from Sussex to Lake district, Cornwall and North Yorkshire, also Supercharger network will be open to all in next 18 months
  • Lack of regular servicing requirements - I always had my Tesla serviced so up to you, but you should have it done every 2 years or 20k miles with Porsche
  • Tesla app - Porsche app works fine for what I used it for with Tesla, locking the car, setting charging timers and profiles and preheating the car, steering wheel and seats. You will miss ability to change charging % on DC chargers though which was handy on the Tesla if you want to stop for longer
  • Understated looks - Yep you won't get that with the Taycan but I see that as a plus
  • Considerably cheaper - yep
Bottom line they are very different cars so it comes down to can you justify the extra £'s for the Porsche build quality, driving experience and interior. Personally it was a no brainer, but depends on what your personal preferences are as some prefer the Tesla interior and most controls on the centre touchscreen
Hope that helps

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
NGL, this low key sounds like a troll post. It lists all of the supposed advantages of the Tesla and a bunch of stuff that a prospective wouldn't ask for an owner's perspective. Like if you think considerably cheaper and pedestrian looks are things you'll miss, why are you looking at the Taycan?

As an aside, I'm kinda confused why people are so attached to 1-pedal driving. I've driven plenty of it on my volt and I keep it off these days. It's more tiring and jerky and less safe especially in the environments it would shine in (city driving where any surprises can happen). Literally the only time 1-pedal is useful is in rush hour freeway traffic. The fact I couldn't turn it off in a Tesla I test drove was a deal breaker. That and the stupid yoke.
Should add to this that adaptive cruise on the Taycan works just as well in slow moving traffic as does auto regen keeping you the same distance from the car in front in traffic.

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
I gave up with my model 3 performance. The 3.1s acceleration was the only thing I liked to be honest. Especially on roadwork motorways the auto pilot was sketchy. I didn't like the ipad. Build quality was awful. Purchase experience was non existent. I only used the option that made if feel similar to a normal car when taking foot off accelerator so the one pedal driving wasn't my cup of tea either. Sentry mode drained the battery.
Tesla supposedly opening the charging network at some point

The Porsche far superior and worth the extra in my opinion. But i love Porsche so I would say that.
Also no vampire drain overnight on the Taycan. My Tesla lost about 1% per night and sometimes 2% when very cold. My Taycan lost nothing in 3 weeks

vaelin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
I'll just pile in with my opinion, albeit late.

I came from a Model 3 Performance. The M3P had replaced an AMG C63S sedan. There were 2 major things I missed when going to the M3P; the emotion that the V8 invoked, and the luxury. I liked most everything in the M3P (I had/have a Model X P90D Ludicrous as well) except it didn't look much different than a base Model 3 and when pushed, had horrible suspension characteristics. Off-camber moderate speed sweepers would upset the chassis if there was any imperfections.

I spent a bunch on full suspension mods, and a bit on looks (Vorsteiner, carbon bits).

In the end, I replaced with the Taycan and didn't look back. I feel it blended the best of all worlds, made the least amount of compromises, and gained on the cachet that is Porsche.

galaxyclass

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla M3LR, RAM 1500 2019, MB SLK 200
Country flag
I have a Tesla Model 3 performance and i am strongly considering moving to a Taycan RWD or 4S however before i do this i would be really grateful if any ex Tesla Model 3 owners could provide their own insights including any regrets in making a similar move. I have made a list of the key areas that i think i would miss if i left Tesla:
  • One pedal driving
  • 0-60 3.1s without needing launch control
  • Tesla Auto pilot
  • Integrated dash cam and sentry mode
  • Supercharger network
  • Lack of regular servicing requirements
  • Tesla app
  • Understated looks
  • Considerably cheaper
So again any feedback whatsoever would be appreciated : )

Thanks!
Will be certainly repeating some remarks already given. I did own a MS85D before moving to my Taycan 4S. Our household still owns a Model 3 LR 2019.

- One Pedal: meanwhile I can handle both systems equally well after years of Tesla regen. Both have their advantages.
- 0-60: one does not feel a big difference. I am not using full throttle often though.
- Tesla Autopilot: ex-US our systems are crippled because of the UNECE rules. There is not much difference. Tesla does lange changes, innodrive does read speedlimits very well unless facing real edge cases. Tesla’s phantom braking is still not gone, and my wife even does not want to engage AP anymore because of this reason
- Dash cam, Sentry: nothing equivalent offered by Porsche
- Supercharger: in Europe there‘s plenty of competition meanwhile, guess in the US, the SuC network is still much better than the rest (Electrify America etc), but I might be wrong
- Service: pretty much the same, Porsche recommends servicing every 30.000 km. Price seems to be in line with Porsche pricing, but still ok
- Tesla App: far better than Porsche, however, Porsche App displays trip stats
- understatement: a Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche…
- Pricing: certainly M3 comes cheaper

One thing on driving dynamics and comfort: this is M3‘s weak point. I had toadd somehigh tech tunig parts to boost stability at higher speeds and add a minimum of comfort. The M3 is good on smooth roads and does reasonably well up to say 75-85 mph, but it is way behind the Taycan. The Taycan’s adaptive air suspension paired with the additional dynamics package outperforms any Tesla system. It is another league.

That said, I do like both cars. :like:

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
OP, your concerns are pretty valid. I am a previous Model S/X owner and currently have a Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+, and Cayenne E-Hybrid (also owned a Taycan 4S before trading it for the CT4).

Of those 3 in the garage, the Taycan and the Model 3 get by far the most use, and the Cayenne we purchased to be our big family and road trip car mostly sits idle, and we will likely end up selling it while used prices remain so high. With little kids, we discovered EV road trips are a better fit with all the frequent stops.

As other's have mentioned, the regen braking is a preference thing. I really missed it when I first transitioned over to the Taycan, and now I can't stand it and disable it when I drive the Model 3. I live in a hilly part of the Western US, and there's a lot of value in being able to coast.

The Model 3 is the perfect day to day commuter car, it's outrageously practical, still a spirited drive, and the tech features are night and day better than the Taycan. But it looks like a Model 3, which isn't anything great, and the overall build quality is more on par with cars 20k cheaper.

The Taycan on the other hand is just such a polished and premium driving experience. It is stunning to look at, makes the ride quality of the Model 3(or any Tesla) feel like a horse drawn carriage over a dirt road, offers the same EV practicality of every other EV, has an actual use range not too far off to a Model 3, and is a faster road trip car due to the superior charging speeds.

If one can afford a Taycan, I can't recommend it enough. It is absolutely a much better car than a Model 3 (and any other Tesla at that), and is much better for spirited drive's through winding roads and corners. However, if you prioritize straight line acceleration or the Tesla software system as your most important things in your driving experience, you should stay away.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I'm definitely still a Tesla guy and thoroughly understand the apprehension one might feel when making the switch.
PM Sent.

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Frankly, I think it is like comparing Apple and Oranges. You buy a Porsche for the driving experience and not for the software or the various gadgets like the auto Pilot or Innodrive. In fact, you buy a Porsche because you like driving a car and you most of the time do not want to be driven by a computer. The Taycan is unanimously by all car reviewers in the world considered the best EV Car on the planet for the moment. It is best because it behaves like a 911 Porsche although it is an EV one and because it offer the best road handling with the best sport car behavior. It is also one of the best constructed car in term of quality, finition, luxury and service, which is far not the case for a Tesla.

One pedal driving is not in my opinion a way to drive a car if you really love driving cars. The 0-60mph statistics is also no indication of the quality of a car in term of driving. As for charging, Tesla will open in 2022 their superchargers and with the 350KW chargers, you will charge faster than with a Tesla supercharger. Finally, all EV cars offer very limited service requirements unless you have quality issues, which is anyhow more frequent with Tesla in general. It is granted that Porsche's strength is not in software but in building the best sport cars... so again, if you like driving a sport car, you do not even compare a Tesla model 3 with a Porsche Taycan. There is no comparison there in my humble opinion.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
As for charging, Tesla will open in 2022 their superchargers and with the 350KW chargers, you will charge faster than with a Tesla supercharger.
?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
As for charging, Tesla will open in 2022 their superchargers and with the 350KW chargers, you will charge faster than with a Tesla supercharger.
Obviously you have not been a Tesla customer for any length of time, or follow Elon and his promises. Want to see the Software Development Kit for Tesla infotainment coming "soon" since 2013, or see the coast-to-coast autonomous demo by end of 2017, or robo-taxi fleet by end of 2020, or Roadster 2020? Hint, none of them materialized. The only hope is Elon invents a time machine.

The new "build back better" federal spending bill has big money in grants for EV charging infrastructure, but comes with a qualification that the charging network must be compatible with more than one manufacturer. This is why Elon announced that they will open the superchargers. Opening superchargers in the USA will likely go the same route as Tesla's famous battery swap - they will do the absolute minimum required to qualify for the government subsidies.
Sponsored

Last edited: