Hybrid Alternative to all electric

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...the US is simply handicapped by a major network that was deployed using funds from a criminal endeavour...
Porsche Taycan Hybrid Alternative to all electric 20240326_104202

Grifting tax payer money and defrauding on range, right?
Sponsored

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
It is sad to hear this from the US!
Exactly, charging only seems to be an US problem. In Europe & China, there is charging everywhere. It is so dense, that I am really annoyed with my EQA, that I cannot explain to it to stop bother me with charging when I am down at 10%...

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I very much agree that given today’s technology that hybrid makes more sense for most people. The only reason I didnt select a hybrid Pan ST (when they were still available) is the cost of maintaining a Porsche hybrid. Porsche takes advantage of its customers on service in a major way. The hybrids offer them an exceptional opportunity to extend that legacy.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
"According to the Chinese global market leader CATL, the
the price of batteries on the global markets has fallen by 30 percent since last summer and by as much as 50 percent by the beginning of this summer.
The fall in raw material prices alone has led to a 30 percent reduction in
prices alone have led to a cost reduction of 30 percent in the storage sector, according to a report by market analysts from S&P Global Commodity Insights in London. And there is still no end in sight to the price slump."

Perhaps just keep your Taycan for a while and wait, until we see much larger batteries?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
We just don't have access to the latest tech out there, because European manufactures were sleeping!

20240326_104201.jpg

After my wife driving for a few months, getting 1000km (620 mi) range.
Wow, that is some impressive range! What brand of EV?

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
This forum makes me sad. Our polluted planet is desperate for us to take steps to reduce climate change and stop burning fossil fuels. We are driving one of the most sophisticated, highest performance consumer EVs — which has zero tailpipe emissions (and almost no in-life emissions for those of us whose countries have stopped burning coal).

Yet almost noone in this forum seems to care about the environment. People keep obsessing about range, or depreciation, and want to go back to hybrids (a poor compromise, adding weight and complexity just to give the driver an emotional prop) or retain a gas-guzzler for road trips. Why not instead focus on why zero emission vehicles are the right thing for the planet?

My view: I have left those stinking, costly, cumbersome ICE vehicles behind and will never go back. The Taycan is an exciting, highly drivable vehicle which in most countries now has sufficient infrastructure for major road trips (stopping every couple of hours for a quick recharge and a short break to keep the driver safe). It fills silently overnight at home too, for many of us doing so with green electricity. And I will never again be sitting at traffic lights chugging out fumes.

i made this choice because it is the right thing to do. And because the Taycan is so brilliantly engineered, I can contribute to saving the planet and at the same time have a BETTER car.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
This forum makes me sad. Our polluted planet is desperate for us to take steps to reduce climate change and stop burning fossil fuels. We are driving one of the most sophisticated, highest performance consumer EVs — which has zero tailpipe emissions (and almost no in-life emissions for those of us whose countries have stopped burning coal).

Yet almost noone in this forum seems to care about the environment. People keep obsessing about range, or depreciation, and want to go back to hybrids (a poor compromise, adding weight and complexity just to give the driver an emotional prop) or retain a gas-guzzler for road trips. Why not instead focus on why zero emission vehicles are the right thing for the planet?

My view: I have left those stinking, costly, cumbersome ICE vehicles behind and will never go back. The Taycan is an exciting, highly drivable vehicle which in most countries now has sufficient infrastructure for major road trips (stopping every couple of hours for a quick recharge and a short break to keep the driver safe). It fills silently overnight at home too, for many of us doing so with green electricity. And I will never again be sitting at traffic lights chugging out fumes.

i made this choice because it is the right thing to do. And because the Taycan is so brilliantly engineered, I can contribute to saving the planet and at the same time have a BETTER car.
Have you considered that people can care about the environment and range and depreciation at the same time?

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Have you considered that people can care about the environment and range and depreciation at the same time?
Yes 0f course - but it is hard to reconcile ecen the slightest interest in the environment with the ”I‘m going back to an ICE car” that has surfaced quite a few times here.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes 0f course - but it is hard to reconcile ecen the slightest interest in the environment with the ”I‘m going back to an ICE car” that has surfaced quite a few times here.
Understandable, but those posts seem quite rare on here. My assumption is that most people on this forum DO care about the environment and are happy that their EV is a step in the right direction but just don’t voice it that frequently. I could certainly be wrong. Maybe a poll would shed more light on the subject 🤔

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
This forum makes me sad. Our polluted planet is desperate for us to take steps to reduce climate change and stop burning fossil fuels...

Dependent on use case, hybrids can be a very good compromise for the environment (even more so than for the owner).
I don't think that buying a Taycan is the most selfless way of helping save the environment, but I don't infer from that that Taycan owners don't care.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I will probably be pilloried, drawn and quartered etc. for this post, but I'm revising my opinion on all-electric cars.

First of all, I love my Turbo S. It is the best car I've ever had, and it is probably the most beautiful car I will ever own. The performance is staggering, and it is a joy to drive day-to-day. However, the burden of charging has caused me to rethink my use of the car, and I avoid long road-trips simply because of the uncertainty and inconvenience of charging at a remote station where I need to travel out of my way to get there, and it may involve a wait if stations are not functioning or available.

My wife just got a Mercedes 450GLE with the hybrid electric motor that gives 50-60 miles on a charge, and will charge 0-100% in three hours with a simple 220 outlet. She absolutely loves the car, and after three months still has half a tank of gas. This is also the car that we will be taking on all our longer road trips, because of the convenience and anxiety relieving gas engine. It's funny because she was not a fan of electric cars, but now she is spoiled, and loves the all-electric mode of the car. I'm amazed by this car - it has a better ride than my Taycan, and is incredibly quiet, smooth, and has 500+ miles of range.

I looked at the new Panamera Turbo with 670 HP and a hybrid motor with some 22kWh battery capacity, which should be good for 50-60 miles around town, and I really like the car. In fact, knowing what I know now, I would probably have chosen this car instead of my Taycan if both had been available at the same time. I would have almost all of the benefits of having an electric car with almost none of the problems. I think this may be the way of the future. Until the charging infrastructure is as prevalent as gas stations, I don't see all-electric cars taking over. With the upcoming severe strain on our electric grid infrastructure, I think the trend to hybrids will accelerate, especially as the hybrid motors gain capacity.

I'm wondering if anyone else here shares these views...🤔
What’s strange is Macan never had a hybrid.

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
I will probably be pilloried, drawn and quartered etc. for this post, but I'm revising my opinion on all-electric cars.

First of all, I love my Turbo S. It is the best car I've ever had, and it is probably the most beautiful car I will ever own. The performance is staggering, and it is a joy to drive day-to-day. However, the burden of charging has caused me to rethink my use of the car, and I avoid long road-trips simply because of the uncertainty and inconvenience of charging at a remote station where I need to travel out of my way to get there, and it may involve a wait if stations are not functioning or available.

My wife just got a Mercedes 450GLE with the hybrid electric motor that gives 50-60 miles on a charge, and will charge 0-100% in three hours with a simple 220 outlet. She absolutely loves the car, and after three months still has half a tank of gas. This is also the car that we will be taking on all our longer road trips, because of the convenience and anxiety relieving gas engine. It's funny because she was not a fan of electric cars, but now she is spoiled, and loves the all-electric mode of the car. I'm amazed by this car - it has a better ride than my Taycan, and is incredibly quiet, smooth, and has 500+ miles of range.

I looked at the new Panamera Turbo with 670 HP and a hybrid motor with some 22kWh battery capacity, which should be good for 50-60 miles around town, and I really like the car. In fact, knowing what I know now, I would probably have chosen this car instead of my Taycan if both had been available at the same time. I would have almost all of the benefits of having an electric car with almost none of the problems. I think this may be the way of the future. Until the charging infrastructure is as prevalent as gas stations, I don't see all-electric cars taking over. With the upcoming severe strain on our electric grid infrastructure, I think the trend to hybrids will accelerate, especially as the hybrid motors gain capacity.

I'm wondering if anyone else here shares these views...🤔
I see hybrids as a transitional technology. There was a time, for example, where it made sense to outfit your dining room with a hybrid lamp - one that combined one of those bright new "light bulbs" with a reliable old gas lamp for when the electricity ran out. Then the electricity got good and everyone happily ripped out all of that stinky, scary, and expensive gas piping, and put away the whale oil lamps as well.

I'm taking bets on the % mix between gas, electric, and hybrid Porsche cars in 2030, just a few years away. It's basically all electric.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
6 years ago I was looking for a new plug in hybrid and my short list was Panamera sport turismo and Prius.

In the end I chose the Prius. The Panamera was, of course, quicker but the Prius hybrid engineering was much more elegant, most hybrids just have a battery and motor grafted into a fairly ordinary layout making them much heavier than they should be. The Prius is narrower and 600kg lighter than the Panamera (including structural rather than cosmetic carbon fibre too).

I have a sports car for speed and I would certainly still choose a Prius over a Panamera hybrid if they still imported them here.

I put petrol in once a year when I fill the jerry cans for my garden tractor, strimmer and hedge trimmers. This spring I didn’t even fill it since it had only used just over half a tank in the last year.

I much prefer the Taycan to drive and long runs with planned charging but round town the Prius is much better and my dog prefers it…

CraigUrch

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
I understand your point of view and if I could only have 1 car then I would go the hybrid route as well. I don't use my Taycan for long trips because of the charging infrastructure here in the northeast. For me I have the luxury or having a 2nd car a BMW 535I with a 6 speed manual that I use for long trips, maybe 4 or 5 times a year. The rest of the time and 95% of my driving is local and the Taycan is perfect for this. One word of caution on your wife's car, ethanol gas does not age well so be sure to put some form of gas treatment in the tank before you fill the tank so the gas doesn't go bad. When I put the BMW on my storage rack I add gas treatment to the tank and try to only have a 1/4 tank of fuel, that way when I want to use it on a trip I can fill the tank with fresh premium fuel.

In the end the right choice is different for each person. BTW I have a good friend that has a hybrid Panamera and he loves it.
Sponsored