Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Unexpectedly used our Taycan on a 320-350 mile trip this week. And to a UK location (Cornwall) that is less well endowed with chargers than other areas in the UK .

All went perfectly...not least because I managed an effective range of over 200 miles for the first time!

Have typically been getting 170-180 and was starting to wonder if something was wrong with the car, or my right foot (or both).

Didn't really pay much attention to range on the way down - accepted the Porsche Charge Planner recommendation of two stops. This put the trip distance at 350 miles., which seemed a bit long. So thought I'd look into alternatives to see if the trip could be done with one stop (which is what we'd do in our ICE cars).

Bit of help from the guys on here ( (23) App route planner - charge stations not showing | TaycanForum -- Porsche Taycan Owners, News, Discussions, Forums ) and it worked well (thugh the charge planner app less so).

First leg the car showed 100% full and a range of 190 miles. The charge stop was 175 miles away, which got the other half jittery, so stayed to the speed limits more or less (70mph or less here). Most of the leg was fast roads, though we hit a lot of traffic.

Arrived at the destination with 43 miles spare, and the estimates had been accurate to that point...so an effective range of 218 miles! I thought sticking to ~70mph or below, and possibly warmer ambient temps (15degC) had made this possible.

Second leg was only 145 miles or so, ending at home. So was less....frugal with the right foot. Fast roads again for the majority. Bit more traffic, but not as much as the first leg. Again, range estimates were proving accurate and I arrived home with 63 miles spare...so 208 miles effective range.

Ambient temps were similar, so it looks like being less right-foot-frugal probably cost 5% range or so.

If I can reliably replicate those ranges, it'll mean being able to do my semi-regular longer trips (150-190 miles) without stopping, which will be handy.

And if what seems like a slight hike in ambients (I think my usage up until this week has been in ambients ranging from -5degC to +10degC) is the main cause of the improvement then by the time summer's here, who needs a J2 😁
Sponsored

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Unexpectedly used our Taycan on a 320-350 mile trip this week. And to a UK location (Cornwall) that is less well endowed with chargers than other areas in the UK .

All went perfectly...not least because I managed an effective range of over 200 miles for the first time!

Have typically been getting 170-180 and was starting to wonder if something was wrong with the car, or my right foot (or both).

Didn't really pay much attention to range on the way down - accepted the Porsche Charge Planner recommendation of two stops. This put the trip distance at 350 miles., which seemed a bit long. So thought I'd look into alternatives to see if the trip could be done with one stop (which is what we'd do in our ICE cars).

Bit of help from the guys on here ( (23) App route planner - charge stations not showing | TaycanForum -- Porsche Taycan Owners, News, Discussions, Forums ) and it worked well (thugh the charge planner app less so).

First leg the car showed 100% full and a range of 190 miles. The charge stop was 175 miles away, which got the other half jittery, so stayed to the speed limits more or less (70mph or less here). Most of the leg was fast roads, though we hit a lot of traffic.

Arrived at the destination with 43 miles spare, and the estimates had been accurate to that point...so an effective range of 218 miles! I thought sticking to ~70mph or below, and possibly warmer ambient temps (15degC) had made this possible.

Second leg was only 145 miles or so, ending at home. So was less....frugal with the right foot. Fast roads again for the majority. Bit more traffic, but not as much as the first leg. Again, range estimates were proving accurate and I arrived home with 63 miles spare...so 208 miles effective range.

Ambient temps were similar, so it looks like being less right-foot-frugal probably cost 5% range or so.

If I can reliably replicate those ranges, it'll mean being able to do my semi-regular longer trips (150-190 miles) without stopping, which will be handy.

And if what seems like a slight hike in ambients (I think my usage up until this week has been in ambients ranging from -5degC to +10degC) is the main cause of the improvement then by the time summer's here, who needs a J2 😁
Depending on whereabouts In Cornwall you visit, the upcoming Ionity Bodmin site may be useful.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ionity-in-bodmin-cornwall.19373/

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Do you mean “drive through Denver”? Btdt.
The 'Mile High Club' I'm referring to is much more exciting than driving through Denver, which can be exciting but for all the wrong reasons. Normally, an airplane and a partner are needed and if you have BTDT... much respect🙏
I reckon you could do it in a Taycan, driving through Denver but that sounds dangerous.
LKA sure would help...🤔

OP
OP
Murph7355

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Depending on whereabouts In Cornwall you visit, the upcoming Ionity Bodmin site may be useful.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ionity-in-bodmin-cornwall.19373/
It'll definitely be useful.

I think the one in Cullompton
The 'Mile High Club' I'm referring to is much more exciting than driving through Denver, which can be exciting but for all the wrong reasons. Normally, an airplane and a partner are needed and if you have BTDT... much respect🙏
I reckon you could do it in a Taycan, driving through Denver but that sounds dangerous.
LKA sure would help...🤔
Definitely no pictures and will definitely need to be fully charged.

JIP1080

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Just to confirm, this is in the GTS ST listed in your profile? What does your Guess-o-meter usually predict for range? What is your usual driving mixture?

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I get 200 miles in the winter with a 4S CT on 21’s with a full performance package @ 85% charge. I was in the 200 mile club and had no idea….

OP
OP
Murph7355

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to confirm, this is in the GTS ST listed in your profile? What does your Guess-o-meter usually predict for range? What is your usual driving mixture?
It is.

It's been in the 185-195 range previously and not been that accurate (I reckon 170-185 absolute tops).

Last couple of trips it's been 200-210 and seems on the money.

These trips were long trips on fast dual carriageways/triple lane motorways (freeways) mostly with some smaller single lane roads.

Most uage is 30 miles a day on lightly trafficked back roads... But ambient have been a good 10degC++ cooler typically.

Another thing I have done recently is to run the battery lower....mostly to around 20% before recharging.

OP
OP
Murph7355

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get 200 miles in the winter with a 4S CT on 21’s with a full performance package @ 85% charge. I was in the 200 mile club and had no idea….
You get 200 miles out of 85% charge?

I have more nannying to do. (Nobody mention the mile high club at this point!).

JIP1080

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
It is.

It's been in the 185-195 range previously and not been that accurate (I reckon 170-185 absolute tops).

Last couple of trips it's been 200-210 and seems on the money.

These trips were long trips on fast dual carriageways/triple lane motorways (freeways) mostly with some smaller single lane roads.

Most uage is 30 miles a day on lightly trafficked back roads... But ambient have been a good 10degC++ cooler typically.

Another thing I have done recently is to run the battery lower....mostly to around 20% before recharging.
Hmmm. I'm seeing 240 winter / 260+ summer, GTS ST w/ 21" summer tires (reading 209mi @ 80% right now). The predicted range hasn't been far off the observed for me. While I'm in a warmer climate I'm still surprised by the delta to your numbers. I do a lot of short trips, but even the 75~80 mph highway runs don't seem to drop the range much. I also subscribe to the belief that "getting to speed quickly then cruise" is better. Maybe you need a heavier foot 😜

OP
OP
Murph7355

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmm. I'm seeing 240 winter / 260+ summer, GTS ST w/ 21" summer tires (reading 209mi @ 80% right now). The predicted range hasn't been far off the observed for me. While I'm in a warmer climate I'm still surprised by the delta to your numbers. I do a lot of short trips, but even the 75~80 mph highway runs don't seem to drop the range much. I also subscribe to the belief that "getting to speed quickly then cruise" is better. Maybe you need a heavier foot 😜
How warm?

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
The winter in GA is like the fall where I live. When the weather is nice I flirt with 300 miles on a full charge! God bless Porsche for delivering a little better than they advertise in this regard. For the OP, I recommend giving it some time and being thoughtful about how hard you it the accelerator if range is important to you.

OP
OP
Murph7355

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The winter in GA is like the fall where I live. When the weather is nice I flirt with 300 miles on a full charge! God bless Porsche for delivering a little better than they advertise in this regard. For the OP, I recommend giving it some time and being thoughtful about how hard you it the accelerator if range is important to you.
When it can be charged up meaningfully in 20mins, it's not that important 😁
Sponsored