Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
@Jonathan S. , no mother-in-law joke about her being native to the USA? 🤪
More like my mother-in-law is adopting nativist sentiments given her fear of her husband's financial livelihood as a retired physician being threatened by all the Mexican immigrants flooding southern NH.
(I know that doesn't make any sense, but I can't convince her that it doesn't make sense...)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
More like my mother-in-law is adopting nativist sentiments given her fear of her husband's financial livelihood as a retired physician being threatened by all the Mexican immigrants flooding southern NH.
(I know that doesn't make any sense, but I can't convince her that it doesn't make sense...)
If he's retired and therefore not part of the labor force anymore, cheap labor can only increase his spending power, not lower it. She should be all for it.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
If he's retired and therefore not part of the labor force anymore, cheap labor can only increase his spending power, not lower it. She should be all for it.
Thanks, I'll try that angle! (Although they'll respond with their tax dollars being used to support poor people, especially in the non-existent large urban ghettos of southern NH.)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Thanks, I'll try that angle! (Although they'll respond with their tax dollars being used to support poor people, especially in the non-existent large urban ghettos of southern NH.)
From my time living there (more than 2 decades ago), I remember NH as having fairly low taxes. No state income tax, no sales tax. Only property taxes seemed high, though IIRC you could move to a place with less services (e.g. no schools) and pay less. Living in Seattle area, property taxes don't seem to be much lower (e.g. my Taycan plates renewal just came, $2K for a year). Sales tax here is over 10%, and they recently added payroll tax (think income tax, but no deductions allowed) and a capital gains tax. I occasionally think about moving back there, I kind of liked the "Life Free or Die" mentality.

Illegal immigration is a problem, overloading existing social safety nets, but yea, I somehow don't see that being a NH problem today.

Last edited:

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, the thread title does emphasize Location!
I'll be getting some good pics of the CT with NH's Mt Washington in the background by late March.
(Meanwhile, I'm happy that the property taxes on our ski house will be well less than half that of our primary residence in Western Mass, even though their market values are comparable.)