Octopus energy now supports Porsche for intelligent tariff.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I have only shifted now due to getting a solar/battery system however I think we would still be saving without that. It is just a bit galling to watch the spend at 39.5p/kWh in the day time unless you are charging every night.
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We also use close to 7000kWh but in the last 3 weeks our grid import has been 10kWh/week. We have charged cars, used the immersion heater and keep looking at ways to use power. I hope it stays sunny! I know it will only get worse when autumn and winter come though

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I have only shifted now due to getting a solar/battery system however I think we would still be saving without that. It is just a bit galling to watch the spend at 39.5p/kWh in the day time unless you are charging every night.
Yep I only use about 75kwh a week and tend to do one big charge on a Sunday night. So for me it would save around £1000/ year charge with OI but incur about about £560 additional cost on domestic use. With OVO I'm saving about £900/year atm.

If you've got solar and or batteries the Octopus will be a no brainer

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
We are currently on the basic Octopus tariff (new 3-phase smart meter installed yesterday), and in the next few weeks will have our south-facing solar panels (18 x 375w) up and running, connected to a Tesla Powerwall and a Zappi 22kw charger.

In truth, I’ll need to charge the car less than once a week, as my commute is only c. 10miles each way and typically only 3 days a week.

In due course my wife will also have an EV, but not for a while. I therefore don’t think an EV tariff is going to be the best option, but would like advice from anyone with a similar set-up as to how they manage the solar generation and which Octopus tariff is likely to be best?

(sorry to hijack the thread)!

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It depends whether your powerwall has enough capacity to power the house for 18 hours. And there are other limitations such as how much power your inverter can provide and the maximum discharge rate of the battery. Also whether you can charge the battery from the grid on cheap overnight electricity in the winter.

Currently, if we weren’t charging cars we would have more power than we can deal with although we would still use some grid electricity when needing more than the battery or inverter can supply - mostly in the evening when cooking.

Do you know the inverter power rating and battery info - capacity, max charge and max discharge power? Also your average daily power use without charging?

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Octopus energy now supports Porsche for the intelligent tariff which is great news.

Just wanted to give folks a heads up if you haven’t already seen it in the app.
Not so sure it’s ’great news‘. I instigated the change then to find I could only charge one of our electric cars! It appears this tariff is for a single electric car only. Had to contact Octopus to switch me back. . .

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
Sadly the daytime rate wipes out any saving we might have made when our Octopus GO tariff ends in July. Looks like OVO Drive anytime for us going forward. Real shame as Octopus have been excellent from a customer service POV. That said being on their tracker tariff for gas has been a real financial win.

Arismaster

First Name
Aris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
Not so sure it’s ’great news‘. I instigated the change then to find I could only charge one of our electric cars! It appears this tariff is for a single electric car only. Had to contact Octopus to switch me back. . .
I believe this is not entirely accurate.
You can charge a second EV car for 6 hrs from 23:30-05:30 with the reduced rate but it won't be an intelligent charge controlled by the app. The same way that you can use the discounted rate for other appliances in your house.

ineedanoriginal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
You can charge a second EV car for 6 hrs from 23:30-05:30 with the reduced rate but it won't be an intelligent charge controlled by the app. The same way that you can use the discounted rate for other appliances in your house.
That's what I'm intending to do with my wife's electric van. Seems pretty simple to me.

I've just switched from Octopus Flexible to Intelligent. For me it was a no-brainer: the day time rate is cheaper than I was paying, and the nighttime is 3 times cheaper (albeit it's an hour shorter). Will have to see how the "intelligent" aspect of charging my CT works for real and how that impacts my wife being able to charge her van but I think it should be fine.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's what I'm intending to do with my wife's electric van. Seems pretty simple to me.

I've just switched from Octopus Flexible to Intelligent. For me it was a no-brainer: the day time rate is cheaper than I was paying, and the nighttime is 3 times cheaper (albeit it's an hour shorter). Will have to see how the "intelligent" aspect of charging my CT works for real and how that impacts my wife being able to charge her van but I think it should be fine.
You can still turn off the Intelligent charge if you want and just plug in over night

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I hope you are correct, but that’s not what Octopus told me. They said “only possible to charge a single vehicle on the approved list”.
I hope I was given incorrect information. Maybe someone on the Forum will be able to enlighten us all how it will be possible?

Last edited:

mangobay

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST 2023. Cayman GT4 (981); BMW X5 40i
Country flag
My understanding having now spent some time reading into it properly is that by selecting the tariff you simply unlock the six hours off peak (1130-0530). You can use one of your cars as the one that accesses the intelligent features, but the rest of the house (including your charger) has access to the six hours off peak rate. So your second car can just be charged in that six hour window like you would with octopus go or whatever.

I decided to move onto it yesterday. My wife has a Cupra which we actually use and charge more regularly so we set that up as the intelligent- controlled car and i will then charge my Taycan overnight occasionally. Seems pretty straight forward and the interface with the cupra worked well immediately.

I need to check the numbers reflect this reality in due course but seems clear to me.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My understanding having now spent some time reading into it properly is that by selecting the tariff you simply unlock the six hours off peak (1130-0530). You can use one of your cars as the one that accesses the intelligent features, but the rest of the house (including your charger) has access to the six hours off peak rate. So your second car can just be charged in that six hour window like you would with octopus go or whatever.

I decided to move onto it yesterday. My wife has a Cupra which we actually use and charge more regularly so we set that up as the intelligent- controlled car and i will then charge my Taycan overnight occasionally. Seems pretty straight forward and the interface with the cupra worked well immediately.

I need to check the numbers reflect this reality in due course but seems clear to me.
This exactly how I understand it. The second car is jut another appliance using electricity from your EVSE

ineedanoriginal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I hope you are correct, but that’s not what Octopus told me. They said “only possible to charge a single vehicle on the approved list”.
I hope I was given incorrect information. Maybe someone on the Forum will be able to enlighten us all how it will be possible?
In addition to my Taycan I have an electric van. I use the "Intelligent" part to charge my Taycan and then just use the overnight cheap rate to charge the van separately. I too was worried it wouldn't work but actually it was fine. I have a PodPoint and to use Octopus Intelligent I have to turn off any schedule I normally use with it.

The "Intelligent" bit just means it talks to the chosen car and you tell the Octopus app when you want your car and at what SOC. It was pretty simple and the app takes care of it once you plug your registered car in. For my van I set my PodPoint to charge only between 23:30-05:30 and plug it in. That's it.

I think what Octopus is trying to say is that only one car can be registered per account to charge Intelligently. Everything else will be "dumb" but will still charge.

In order to use Octopus Intelligent you have to set up the car you want to charge intelligently, Octopus does a test with it, and then it is ready to use. You do have to turn off any other charging schedule (car, charing point etc.) and set it through the Octopus app instead but that's easy to do.

Last edited:

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
In addition to my Taycan I have an electric van. I use the "Intelligent" part to charge my Taycan and then just use the overnight cheap rate to charge the van separately. I too was worried it wouldn't work but actually it was fine. I have a PodPoint and to use Octopus Intelligent I have to turn off any schedule I normally use with it.

The "Intelligent" bit just means it talks to the chosen car and you tell the Octopus app when you want your car and at what SOC. It was pretty simple and the app takes care of it once you plug your registered car in. For my van I set my PodPoint to charge only between 23:30-05:30 and plug it in. That's it.

I think what Octopus is trying to say is that only one car can be registered per account to charge Intelligently. Everything else will be "dumb" but will still charge.

In order to use Octopus Intelligent you have to set up the car you want to charge intelligently, Octopus does a test with it, and then it is ready to use. You do have to turn off any other charging schedule (car, charing point etc.) and set it through the Octopus app instead but that's easy to do.
Thanks for the reply. I spoke to one of their advisors (obviously working from home) that was short on knowledge! Good to know it’s possible, although I still don’t like the supplier controlling the charging, rather than the car. Maybe my wife’s Mini goes on the ‘intelligent’ list, and the GTS is not listed?
Sponsored