Phone charging inside the Taycan

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
That was momentarily but yeah, it rarely pulls over 500mah. Seen it maybe once or twice. Hence why I think something is fishy with the front usbcs

Edit: lol. Nevermind. It just pulled at 910mah šŸ¤£
Minor thing, the phone pulls mA, not mAh. Ampere is a unit of current, ApereHour is a unit of battery capacity (milli- is a metric prefix indicating 1/1000th). So 1mAh is the battery capacity the phone pulls if it draws 1mA for 1 hour.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Minor thing, the phone pulls mA, not mAh. Ampere is a unit of current, ApereHour is a unit of battery capacity (milli- is a metric prefix indicating 1/1000th). So 1mAh is the battery capacity the phone pulls if it draws 1mA for 1 hour.
Grammar n*zi

šŸ¤£

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lol. Science/Engineering terminology rather than English grammar. English is not my mother tongue, so I won't pretend to be an expert. :)
Yeah I know. Wasn't the first time I was nailed down with that. Autocomplete and lazyness go side by side.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok definitely something not ok.

With my qc 12v cig charger (while wireless ly connected with AA, Spotify, waze, etc

Porsche Taycan Phone charging inside the Taycan Screenshot_2023-05-24-12-15-50-34_9e44329adecb79d6f3bd5aadb98a4182

Then I switched the cable to the usbc ports in front

Porsche Taycan Phone charging inside the Taycan Screenshot_2023-05-24-12-17-26-87_9e44329adecb79d6f3bd5aadb98a4182

So basically negative gain with the usbc

Couldn't test "charging only" as the car keeps forcing going into media mode whenever I changed to charging only on phone.

Finally, using the back usbc

Porsche Taycan Phone charging inside the Taycan Screenshot_2023-05-24-12-24-41-93_9e44329adecb79d6f3bd5aadb98a4182

Not great but okish

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
..your all just making things complicatedā€¦ā€¦.. just buy x3 phones, any flavour, and when one runs out of battery, switch on #2 phone etc etc. once home recharge all 3 for your next travel ā€¦.. canā€™t understand the issue šŸ˜œšŸ¤Ŗ

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
..your all just making things complicatedā€¦ā€¦.. just buy x3 phones, any flavour, and when one runs out of battery, switch on #2 phone etc etc. once home recharge all 3 for your next travel ā€¦.. canā€™t understand the issue šŸ˜œšŸ¤Ŗ
Lol šŸ˜‚

Like I said, I have it solved. It's more of a curiosity now.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I explicitly leave a usb-c cable plugged into the back seat ports for charging phones at a fast rate without interfering with wireless carplay. This especially comes into handy if my wife or someone riding in the back seat wants to charge their phone without the Taycan talking to their phone.

It's actually pretty surprising how quickly it charges, I'm always pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
I explicitly leave a usb-c cable plugged into the back seat ports for charging phones at a fast rate without interfering with wireless carplay. This especially comes into handy if my wife or someone riding in the back seat wants to charge their phone without the Taycan.

It's actually pretty surprising how quickly it charges, I'm always pleasantly surprised.
I also found the back seat USB-C ports to be much faster and more reliable than the USB-C port inside the front center console. The upgrade didn't help the console port in my case.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Interesting.

I'll know after checking wife's phone charge rate
I donā€™t use a phone much so havenā€™t tried charging mine in the car but I have a USB stick with music files plugged into one of the glovebox USB ports.
I get an occasional warning that I have an accessory demanding too much power which is a bit odd. It hasnā€™t failed to work yet but maybe the front sockets have wimpy power capacity.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I donā€™t use a phone much so havenā€™t tried charging mine in the car but I have a USB stick with music files plugged into one of the glovebox USB ports.
I get an occasional warning that I have an accessory demanding too much power which is a bit odd. It hasnā€™t failed to work yet but maybe the front sockets have wimpy power capacity.
That's kinda ridiculous if a usb disk can demand too much power.

Nothing like a good old 12V socket

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
My Samsung S20+ charges fine using a 1m 100w USB C cable from centre console. I have set it in Developer settings to switch off Wireless AA so it uses wired connection. I also run either Waze or Tom Tom Amigo in the background to give me audible speed camera and average speed alerts. Phone runs cool and charges up to 100% on a decent run.