RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Most designers of the initial version of just about any type of iconic products are geniuses — hardware or software. Then comes V. 2 and the inevitable follow-on improvers, marketers, tinkerers and cost-cutters.
There's a lot about v2 that looks like the results of market research by "regular" Porsche customers. What do you not like about the Taycan - I imagine headlights were #1, based on what I hear from non-Taycan owners. Number 2 was probably range (fixed via hardware improvements) and in there was the fact that the Porsche in the rear didn't light up (personally, I don't like it - the rear light bar looked great as-is and the red lettering messes up the aesthetic). Porche Marketing North America probably wanted people to know it was "electric" and so that emblem became mandatory. ETC.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Looking at those non-marketing pictures, the new Taycan looks like a cost optimized replica of the original. Also, why does it seem like the front was designed by a different team than the back? Front has straight lines and sharp angles, more Prius/transformer like, vs. the back seems to have smooth flowing curves. And why are all aero vents fake?

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Most designers of the initial version of just about any type of iconic products are geniuses — hardware or software. Then comes V. 2 and the inevitable follow-on improvers, marketers, tinkerers and cost-cutters.
You forgot comities, the producers of great compromises.

OP
OP
pedroleumjelly

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
Looking at those non-marketing pictures, the new Taycan looks like a cost optimized replica of the original. Also, why does it seem like the front was designed by a different team than the back? Front has straight lines and sharp angles, more Prius/transformer like, vs. the back seems to have smooth flowing curves. And why are all aero vents fake?
Agreed, the rear doesn’t have the same design language as the front. I’m a product designer by trade and that kind of aesthetic mismatch is really messing with my OCD

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Agreed, the rear doesn’t have the same design language as the front. I’m a product designer by trade and that kind of aesthetic mismatch is really messing with my OCD
I posted this previously, but despite this guy getting some of the facts wrong out of ignorance about the model (i.e., power chargeport piece, comparing sportdesign front fascia in v.2 to regular in v., etc.), I think he does a pretty decent design breakdown.

Last edited:

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Decided to pop over to the Porsche lounge at SXSW in Austin. Thought y'all may appreciate an IRL zoom in of the new face
IMG_2699.jpeg
IMG_2700.jpeg
:

IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2702.jpeg
IMG_2703.jpeg
IMG_2704.jpeg
I'll just say it:

Can I please have the Taycan Turbo refresh mechanicals in a Gen1 body, painted Carrara white metallic with the original Mission-e wheels? Oh, OK, I'll take the rear wheel vents from the Gen2 Turbo, maybe, but that's all.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'll just say it:

Can I please have the Taycan Turbo refresh mechanicals in a Gen1 body, painted Carrara white metallic with the original Mission-e wheels? Oh, OK, I'll take the rear wheel vents from the Gen2 Turbo, maybe, but that's all.
If I needed to go more than 250 miles at a time, accelerate faster than 3.5-ish seconds to 60 and had another $100k to burn, this is where i'd be at vs just paying off my car and being happy with it.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
As mentioned before, this looks like a revision designed by a committee. The first Taycan was designed based on the Mission E, and IMO is one of the most beautiful cars on the road - probably one of most beautiful 4 door ever designed. The new version looks like it was modified by some aftermarket tuners. Why can't they just leave a beautiful design alone, and keep the changes to the battery/performance etc.? :mad:

Which one is the better design?

Porsche Taycan Pictures of the 2025 Taycan Turbo from SXSW 1710360984431-wh

Porsche Taycan Pictures of the 2025 Taycan Turbo from SXSW IMG_5495

24Neptune

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Porsche Taycan RWD, 2024 Audi SQ5 Prestige
Country flag
There are things I like about both gen although I think the turbo is the least attractive in the newest gen. Style in all things is definitely subjective though.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was unsure how I felt about the facelift, but the more I see pictures that compare the Gen 1 Taycan with Gen 2, the more I find myself liking the Gen 1 design.

At the same time I would love to have more range. Since much of the range improvement comes from the 105 kWh battery in Gen 2, does anyone know if this battery can be retrofit into a Gen 1 if and when a battery replacement is needed?

gramorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I was unsure how I felt about the facelift, but the more I see pictures that compare the Gen 1 Taycan with Gen 2, the more I find myself liking the Gen 1 design.

At the same time I would love to have more range. Since much of the range improvement comes from the 105 kWh battery in Gen 2, does anyone know if this battery can be retrofit into a Gen 1 if and when a battery replacement is needed?
This. I can’t get onboard with the scoops on the gen 2. Either the sport design front that look like it’s been taken from an Audi mood board, or the non-sport design that reminds me of an F360 for some reason.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Decided to pop over to the Porsche lounge at SXSW in Austin. Thought y'all may appreciate an IRL zoom in of the new face
IMG_2699.jpeg
IMG_2700.jpeg
:

IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2702.jpeg
IMG_2703.jpeg
IMG_2704.jpeg
Per usual, the car falls flat 2-dimensionally. But I trust you appreciated it in person.

OP
OP
pedroleumjelly

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
Tbh I was surprised I didn’t hate it. It still looks good in person, just not hot like the current gen does.
Sponsored