Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just bumping an old thread.

I am finding the app pretty useless.

It seems to work if I have been near the car (with the keys) for a while. But when I have been away from the car for any time it seems to shut off.
So if I get up in the morning and want to see if the car is charged, I have no idea as the app shows the same info as the previous night - until I get into the car to have a look.

This is regardless of what the connections on the app show (all green except bottom left).

We do get very poor mobile signal at home from most provider (only O2 really works) so wondering if it's the SIM that Porsche use?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just bumping an old thread.

I am finding the app pretty useless.

It seems to work if I have been near the car (with the keys) for a while. But when I have been away from the car for any time it seems to shut off.
So if I get up in the morning and want to see if the car is charged, I have no idea as the app shows the same info as the previous night - until I get into the car to have a look.

This is regardless of what the connections on the app show (all green except bottom left).

We do get very poor mobile signal at home from most provider (only O2 really works) so wondering if it's the SIM that Porsche use?
The app is the app - mediocre at best.

It is LTE signal strength dependent in my experience and so can be a hit or a miss.

I suspect the SIM connects to Vodafone (as per PVTS+).

You can boost the available signal via a 4G / WiFi adapter (to connect to your internet). I think another forum member has done this. This may solve most home connectivity issues but not all.

Makes you wonder how reliable remote parking features would be in practice given the patchiness of cellular connectivity.

If you don't have bottom left quadrant green then no dice - presume you meant bottom right?

When green the data should periodically refresh and therefore update. If you have the PMCC (or wired PMC+) and connected to the car then you could logon to either and check the status there or use My Porsche web site.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
The app is the app - mediocre at best.

It is LTE signal strength dependent in my experience and so can be a hit or a miss.

You can boost the available signal via a 4G / WiFi adapter (to connect to your internet). I think another forum member has done this. This may solve most home connectivity issues but not all.

Makes you wonder how reliable remote parking features would be in practice given the patchiness of cellular connectivity.

If you don't have bottom left quadrant green then no dice - presume you meant bottom right?

When green the data should periodically refresh and therefore update. If you have the PMCC (or wired PMC+ then you could logon to either and check the status there or use My Porsche.
Thanks W1NGE.

Yes, I did mean bottom right quadrant sorry. My mistake.

And Vodafone is useless at home so that may explain things.

Interested about the 4G WiFi booster option, as we have got WiFi extenders for the cctv, so the home WiFi signal does reach the car.
How would that work?

The app is not a massive issue, but it's just a shame how flakey it is compared to the BMW one.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
You can tell for sure by going into Devices -> Hit the three dots -> Data connection settings.

That will show you the current network and signal strength. This can be handy when abroad too to see what network its using.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Connect App rant IMG_0085

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks W1NGE.

Interested about the 4G WiFi booster option, as we have got WiFi extenders for the cctv, so the home WiFi signal does reach the car.
How would that work?

The app is not a massive issue, but it's just a shame how flakey it is compared to the BMW one.
On most mobile networks (certainly Vodafone) you can make mobile calls via your WiFi. You may have noticed your mobile switching automatically when the service is available. These gadgets basically use your existing internet to carry the 4G / LTE signal. The car's LTE would connect automatically to the booster and the signal / data passed via your internet provider.

I'd need to research further as I've not tried myself but have read about it.

Odd your BMW doesn't have an issue - could be the power to the module on the Taycan is too low and either goes to sleep or drops off entirely.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks W1NGE.

How would that work?

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/confused-about-home-charging.5606/#post-77893

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Intersting about These signal boosters. So basically the box would simulate a cell tower with similar range as WiFi extenders? I need to investigate this since my LTE signal is extremely weak, but the internet has up to 400 Mbit/s speed. So should be an ideal solution really.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Intersting about These signal boosters. So basically the box would simulate a cell tower with similar range as WiFi extenders? I need to investigate this since my LTE signal is extremely weak, but the internet has up to 400 Mbit/s speed. So should be an ideal solution really.
It's not a booster but a cell spot - both are quite different.

Not sure these are universally available.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It's not a booster but a cell spot - both are quite different.

Not sure these are universally available.
You are right, seems they are not available here from what I can see. Pity would solve a lot of issues.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You are right, seems they are not available here from what I can see. Pity would solve a lot of issues.
Possibly solve. I think the OTA and LTE modules are below par in any case compared to other vehicles when parked in the same location (for example).

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
No cell reception in your area and no idea why the app doesn’t work? ?
Sponsored