First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Dave, what was your favorite Tesla?
Model S P85D - no question - best sports sedan available at the time and still competitive stats wise today…reallly nice car and so far ahead of it's time.
Sponsored

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Difference between Tesla and Taycan:
The Tesla app actually works and gives you up to date view of your car most of the time.
For example: You can track the location of a moving Tesla quite acuratly.

With Porsche the app updates when it wants. Sometimes you do get a up to date info. Sometimes not.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Can anyone comment on the rear passenger leg room compared to a Model 3 and/or a Model S?
I replaced my Model S with a Taycan CT, my wife loves the increased legroom in the back seat. She used to hate riding in the back of my Model S (she has one too), but happily rides on the back of my Taycan CT while allowing our kids to ride in the front.

How annoying is it to not have a dedicated Porsche supercharger network compared to Tesla's?
Not annoying at all, at least for me. I drove my Taycan home 3,500miles from the dealer across the USA - more details here. If I was to ever travel with my wife before she replaces her Model S, I would just get the CCS adapter.

Did the latest software update allow you to receive OTA updates rather than bringing your Taycan to the dealer?
There was a couple of OTA's since February when I picked up the car (not counting map updates, which occur so often I wish I could suppress the notification, even when just driving locally).

Any other surprises you noticed after moving from a Tesla?
Waited 20 months to get my Taycan, no surprises, had plenty of time to research what the change will bring.

I already assume the interior/exterior finish is much better than a Tesla and the driving experience sounds amazing.
Interior finish is better, but also developed squeaks recently (2 months in), like the Teslas did, Same solution by the way, find what part of the seat leather surface is rubbing against what plastic, lubricate with an inert lubricant. I never bothered taking in my Teslas for such issues, not going to start with a Taycan either - it's quicker and more effective to learn to fix your own squeaks and rattles.

One thing that I will say, the way the Taycan drives offsets all drawbacks, Taycan software is definitely inferior to Tesla., sometimes I am dumbfounded how Porsche could make some software decisions like they did. Then I drive the Taycan, the way it drives, offsets all the software shortcomings for me. I've been driving Tesla Model S'es for a decade now, I know what if feels like to want to find an excuse to drive the car (I used to do with with my first Model S) - I now feel the same with the Taycan, just want an excuse to drive it! The 3,500mile trip from the dealer I did was me anticipating this want, I was right, I still look for excuses to drive my Taycan 😁).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep, just picked up my 13 yr old from middle school for the first time in the Taycan. All the kids came out for an early release day while I was parked across the lawn in the pick-up line and all the boys were pointing and going "Woah whose car is that!?! I want that car! Is that a Tesla?! No it can't be! WoW look at that car!!!" My son just strolled over and got in :). Someone always has to say, usually incredulously, "Is that a Tesla?" and I told my kid, it's because Tesla is considered a "car of the future" right now, so they see a futuristic looking vehicle and think Tesla... but not for much longer 🤣 .

So fun though!!
Lol. Have been driving Model S'es for a decade now. My wife got her first Model S 7 years ago. We'd drive our daughter to gymnastics and then dance classes and competitions in our Model S's - she was actually referred to as "Tesla {her_name_here}" by her friends. She has her own car now, so even when I occasionally gave her a ride to work in a Taycan (she had an accident recently, not her fault, according to both the police and the insurance company, not just her dad - though dashcam footage was priceless for proving it), I don't think she'll be called "Taycan {her_name_here"}". My son on the other hand, avoided associated with Tesla or any high end car as much as he could. When he moved out to school and came back for holidays, he refused an offer to borrow one of our Model S to go meet his friends, he convinced his sister instead to lend him her Corolla. It is fascinating to me to watch the kids grow up!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the FSD beta now. It is impressive, but not quite ready for primetime in my opinion. No doubt it will improve dramatically in the next few years.
Define "improve dramatically". Are you expecting OTA upgrade to make it ready for prime time, e.g. reach Level 4 autonomy?

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My son on the other hand, avoided associated with Tesla or any high end car as much as he could. When he moved out to school and came back for holidays, he refused an offer to borrow one of our Model S to go meet his friends, he convinced his sister instead to lend him her Corolla. It is fascinating to me to watch the kids grow up!
Depends on the kids... one of mine is quite the opposite which is soooo cringe to me that I bite my teeth. I guess that most at 17 are just too bloody influenciable by their circle of friends... I hope he grows out of it.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...Tesla is considered a "car of the future" right now, so they see a futuristic looking vehicle and think Tesla... but not for much longer 🤣 .
Gosh, never was and never will! Amazing how the SM brainwashing works on these kids, even the Chinese Commis getting wet dreams...

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
I honestly don’t understand why people want this? Especially Porsche drivers. I bought this car because I love driving. If I wanted to be driven then I’d just get the bus.
Beyond that, at Tesla there is a culture of "look what technology can do", rather than "is it wise for technology to do this?" Next thing you know, Teslas are running into parked fire engines, with flashing emergency lights operating. From the top down, that company seems to be staffed with children.

OP
OP

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Jeep Wrangler 392
Country flag
Define "improve dramatically". Are you expecting OTA upgrade to make it ready for prime time, e.g. reach Level 4 autonomy?
It's hard to say. I'm already very impressed with what it is capable of now. However, it struggles in "unique" situations such as unusual intersections, busy parking lots, etc. I don't know that additional hardware will solve these problems so it seems like a software issue to me.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can anyone comment on the rear passenger leg room compared to a Model 3 and/or a Model S?
The rear is definitely tighter than any Tesla, and there is a center tunnel too (filled with batteries) so the middle seat, if you spec that option, would have very limited legroom - mine is the 4 seat config so that is not a problem at all, and only the kids sit back there - they have not complained (both around 5 feet tall at this point).

How annoying is it to not have a dedicated Porsche supercharger network compared to Tesla's?
Not at all. Sure, Electrfy America has had its issues, but they are free for three years, and around half the price of the Tesla SC network after that (I've seen a lot of long distance Tesla folks buying the CCS adapter so they can use EA). Then you have all the other CCS networks too like EVgo, ChargePoint, Blink and others. Plenty of options for non-Tesla charging.

Did the latest software update allow you to receive OTA updates rather than bringing your Taycan to the dealer?
The Taycan always had OTA updates for the infotainment apps. The dealer updates are required for updates to safety critical systems, or when they wanted to do a low level update of the PCM (replacing the entire OS). For sure, Porsche are not at the same place Tesla is with OTA, but they are taking a cautious approach so they don't end up bricking anybody's car. I don't know the architecture of the Tesla vehicles, but there are a lot of interconnected ECUs in the Porsche (even things like the headlights and turn signals have their own), so the software is not like your iPhone - it is a network of interconnected systems which makes updates harder, especially if they touch multiple systems.

Can you use your phone as a key or do you have to carry the fob?
Carry the key. You can unlock the car remotely with the app on the phone if needed, but you will need the fob to be able to drive the car.

Any other surprises you noticed after moving from a Tesla?

I already assume the interior/exterior finish is much better than a Tesla and the driving experience sounds amazing.
Build quality everywhere is better (though still not up to the standard I had from my Mercedes cars in the past), and the interior is a totally different proposition. Tesla is minimal. The Taycan is much more about immersing you in the driving experience.

Initially, I missed the aggressive regen when you lift off the accelerator on the Taycan, though i am used to the way the Taycan works now (and tend to enable "automatic recuperation" always too - wish that would stay on between drives, but at least it stays on when you switch driving modes now). I miss the paddles that my Merc EV had for adjusting regen too - that was a neat feature that I think is a missed opportunity in the Taycan (IIRC, the Audi eTron GT does have it).

The biggest difference though is the smile you will have on your face every time you get into, out of, or even just see the Taycan.

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
Don't think anyone mentioned Tesla opening its network up with upgraded chargers.

Taycan 4EVA
i am under the belief that they will open up the very bare min required for them to meet their federal funding requirement. I also belive it will be in beta mode for a long time" so they can milk it. I hope i am wrong. But the way I see it if they opened up the supercharger network full force, tesla sales would decline alot.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
i am under the belief that they will open up the very bare min required for them to meet their federal funding requirement. I also belive it will be in beta mode for a long time" so they can milk it. I hope i am wrong. But the way I see it if they opened up the supercharger network full force, tesla sales would decline alot.
Over here Tesla stations are almost always empty. It seems a money 💰 no brainer to open up as many possible at £0.60 per kwh. Got one round the corner. Kicking myself for not getting the onboard charger but no one can read Elon's mind. Off topic mind.
Sponsored