Race-tex vs Standard Interior

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 CRV, 2020 Highlander, 2023 Taycan 4s incoming
Country flag
Since being a victim of this heater-gate scandal, I'm still looking at possibly cancelling my order and going with something off the lot. I found one that has a good amount of what I'm looking for except it's Race-tex interior instead of standard or leather. I'm a comfort guy and I like the look and feel of luxury vehicles. Leather was always in mind and I've never once entertained Race-tex. For those who have had both, does race-tex feel cheap at all compared to the others? How easy is it to maintain? I love the fact that leather is a quick and easy wipe. I don't want the interior to come across like my old CR-V.
Sponsored

OP
OP

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have my car yet but for me a GTS has to have Race Tex.
This is a 4s, but why is that? Could you elaborate on what makes it great for that kind of car? Is it just what is expected from the GTS brand? Or is it a quality thing?

e92er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Racetex doesn’t let you do vented seats. If that’s not a problem for you, then go for it!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
This is a 4s, but why is that? Could you elaborate on what makes it great for that kind of car? Is it just what is expected from the GTS brand? Or is it a quality thing?
If it is not the standard Racetex and leather GTS interior it will be one of the leather free interiors which are a mixture of racetex and recycled fabric seat facings.
I prefer fabric to leather for comfort, cooler in summer and warmer in winter, plus the electrically heated seat panels warm much quicker with fabric.
I would have chosen it if they did a colour I liked to go with green, but they don’t.

Our old Prius, bought in 2005, is still used by my daughter and I had the optional alcantara interior fitted and it has stood up well to its 17 years of use.

If you like the colour I can see no reason not to go for the leather free interior, it is an expensive option over standard here in the UK..

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I think it's simply what's right on a GTS. Giving up the exclusive interior doesn't make sense to me. Also in France we get these cray temperatures occasionally and leather can be super hot to sit especially black. I've got some Gyeon coating to apply to protect it......if I ever get my car that is lol.

OP
OP

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just spoke to the dealer and he did mention it's quite a step up from standard. That makes me feel better :) I guess there's nothing else to do but see it in person! Unfortunately it's near impossible to see anything in person with so many shortages.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
I just spoke to the dealer and he did mention it's quite a step up from standard. That makes me feel better :) I guess there's nothing else to do but see it in person! Unfortunately it's near impossible to see anything in person with so many shortages.
it’s not. The race-tex Interior is the standard interior with fabric inserts on the seats. The dash and all the trim are the same as standard. I have the standard interior and wish I went with leather (4S prior to GTS release) because the trim looks cheap without the leather and stitching.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
it’s not. The race-tex Interior is the standard interior with fabric inserts on the seats. The dash and all the trim are the same as standard. I have the standard interior and wish I went with leather (4S prior to GTS release) because the trim looks cheap without the leather and stitching.
Um, what? Standard interior is partial leather with fabric on the sides of the seats. RaceTex is a cost option - in the US on par with the full-leather interior, 4-6k.

(edit) not clear if you were referring to the GTS, for which racetex is standard.

Wilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S On Order, Tesla M3P, A35 AMG
Country flag
I have seen the GTS Race-Tex interior and the Leather free interior next to each other at my local PEC. I can confirm they are definitely not the same. The GTS is essentially the Full Leather interior with red stitching but with the seat facings, lower dash and door cards in Race-Tex. The leather free is the standard non option interior with a mix of Race-Tex and a textured woven fabric on the main seat facings. Both look good but the GTS interior is a clear step above the leather free

OP
OP

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have seen the GTS Race-Tex interior and the Leather free interior next to each other at my local PEC. I can confirm they are definitely not the same. The GTS is essentially the Full Leather interior with red stitching but with the seat facings, lower dash and door cards in Race-Tex. The leather free is the standard non option interior with a mix of Race-Tex and a textured woven fabric on the main seat facings. Both look good but the GTS interior is a clear step above the leather free
How would you say the leather free option stacks up against the standard interior? I am hoping it's at least a step up from that interior.

Wilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S On Order, Tesla M3P, A35 AMG
Country flag
How would you say the leather free option stacks up against the standard interior? I am hoping it's at least a step up from that interior.
The big problem is the only bits which are different are the parts which are genuine leather in the standard interior, so all of the fake leather is identical on each and that doesn’t justify the cost. Even if they used the same fake leather but added the double stitching for an improved appearance it would offer more of an upgrade.

Leather free is a £2800 option in the UK and I just wouldn’t pay that for what you get but if it was half of that I would have it in a heartbeat as it does look more sporty.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I almost swapped to the leather free interior but went to see it and hated it. It’s a pity they don’t do a standard alcantara option

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
And me.
I like it but it’s expensive.
Lots of development costs but cheaper to make. Porsche should lead the environmental way by making it standard and offering leather as option.
Base trim is ok but it ain’t one thing nor the other.
I have a GTS. Love Race Tex but the door caps and dash have leather with entirely unnecessary seams. The stitching is only coloured with the Red or Crayon interior pack. Thankfully mine are just black.
I think the smooth high quality plastic trim from the base and Vegan is better.
I considered changing from full GTS Race Tex to Vegan as no cost option.
Annoyingly the GTS logo on the headrests disappears even though they are identical so I kept the standard Race Tex interior.
In the Turbo and Turbo S you get the headrest logo in Vegan trim on the Race Tex headrest. Don’t know why they can’t in a GTS

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
Um, what? Standard interior is partial leather with fabric on the sides of the seats. RaceTex is a cost option - in the US on par with the full-leather interior, 4-6k.

(edit) not clear if you were referring to the GTS, for which racetex is standard.
that’s not true.
I am not referring to GTS interior, just full leather vs racetex (leather free) vs standard:

race-Tex (leather free) is a cost option, but the only difference from standard is that the seats have race-Tex inserts instead of the partial leather.

It is not worth the money or should be a free alternative to standard interior.

Full leather is the same cost but gives you better leather coverage on the sears and wrapped surfaces on the dash.

I’m not referring to the GTS exclusive interior
Sponsored