Race-tex vs Standard Interior

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
In the US you can get 14 way with race tex Interior and ventilated seats. The car I was looking at had that.

I think I'm just a leather guy and not race tex. Nothing against it, but after watching a video the dealer made for me, it didn't seem to be worth what I'd be paying to go from standard to race tex unless I had an allergy 😄
if you have kids/pets, stay away from race-tex. :)
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
if you have kids/pets, stay away from race-tex. :)
Why?
We had the similar, if not the same, alcantara in our car 17 years ago and it stood up well. We don’t let our dog on the seats, he travels in the back or in the footwell, but took grandchildren in it and now, 17 years later, my daughter uses it to ferry her boys to school and activities and it still looks excellent.

Admittedly I only have this one experience, but it is 17 years long, and good.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I have 2 scruffy kids and Race Tex.
No problems. It’s been treated. Stuff just wipes off.
Just had a loaner with full leather with the tiny perforations. It had some $#!¥ on the drivers seat between the legs that was never coming out of those tiny perforations.
You can’t ‘scratch’ Race Tex with fingernails, zips, buttons, studs, buckles, jewellery, I scratched my leather wheel in old Taycan within days with a fingernail. Felt it everyday. Race Tex wheel is perfect.
Nothing is kid proof and leather is the least kid proof.
People are covering B pillars with Race Tex to avoid plastic looking scratched and damaged. Leather would scratch just as badly.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
10 months ownership.
8 thousand miles.
In
Porsche Taycan Race-tex vs Standard Interior 22175750-92C2-4EBE-8F34-1212CC7768AA
and out hundreds of times.
The ONLY place my GTS Race Tex interior is showing wear Is on the leather bit on the side bolster.

Bao1303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT 4S, BMW X5 45e, various bikes
Country flag
Not a fabric expert, but have had partial leathe racetex / alcantara / microfiber equivalents on numerous cars and been very satisfied with quality, tear and wear. Looks as new after years, much more comfortable to sit in while the additional partial leather bits get worn an wrinkly. Easy to remove stains as well. Personal opinion is its excellent and looks classy when combined in a good way with leather. We did however go with full leather due to Porsche limiting the colour choices and how they put the RT everywhere as well as not offering ventilation. Perforated soft leather in anything but black (which is not an option for us) isnt exactly easy to keep pristine with kids either. Had a look at a GTS with contrast stitching and it was great but again - the black option only was not for us. Treated well - as you must with leather as well - it holds up as good or better and if it looks exclusive enough is as everything else - up to you and your personal taste

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why?
We had the similar, if not the same, alcantara in our car 17 years ago and it stood up well. We don’t let our dog on the seats, he travels in the back or in the footwell, but took grandchildren in it and now, 17 years later, my daughter uses it to ferry her boys to school and activities and it still looks excellent.

Admittedly I only have this one experience, but it is 17 years long, and good.
also speaking from my own experience, my last 2 seater was full alcantara interior, i accidentally dropped the water bottle (just water) on the seat, it was a hot summer, and the water stain left nearly permanent, I couldnt get riod it it. :( hence no more alcantara interior (at least no alcantara seats) for me

Mattyh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
540i
Country flag
I ordered race tex for my gts. To me it’s more comfortable and just looks more special. Never been a huge fan of leather and I hate how it looks after a few years. I was worried race tex might be hard to maintain but looking on YouTube you can brush it regularly and it keeps it looking fresh

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I have had racetex in some older VW products and we have it in my wife’s Volvo. From a durability standpoint, it’s fine. As with leather, I would recommend treating it when new to make it easier to maintain. As for Porsche specifically, I continue to be surprised that they are able to charge a premium for that product. I believe it should be a no cost alternative to the standard interior. Some automakers are making great progress with more innovative non-leather interiors that I think make more sense for modern vehicles…including those that are performance-oriented.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
also speaking from my own experience, my last 2 seater was full alcantara interior, i accidentally dropped the water bottle (just water) on the seat, it was a hot summer, and the water stain left nearly permanent, I couldnt get riod it it. :( hence no more alcantara interior (at least no alcantara seats) for me

Was the water bottle filled from the tap? I once had a water bottle spilled on the floor mats of my M3, and I too couldn't get rid of the stain. It was limescale residue from the water which had been filled from a tap.

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was the water bottle filled from the tap? I once had a water bottle spilled on the floor mats of my M3, and I too couldn't get rid of the stain. It was limescale residue from the water which had been filled from a tap.
no, it was mineral water from the service station, i thought it'd be fine just by letting itself dry out, but wasn't the case. I tried to use the steam cleaner (lowest heat), the stain was still visible after the treatment

Englishtony2002

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have had racetex in some older VW products and we have it in my wife’s Volvo. From a durability standpoint, it’s fine. As with leather, I would recommend treating it when new to make it easier to maintain. As for Porsche specifically, I continue to be surprised that they are able to charge a premium for that product. I believe it should be a no cost alternative to the standard interior. Some automakers are making great progress with more innovative non-leather interiors that I think make more sense for modern vehicles…including those that are performance-oriented.
I have the non-leather interior on my Turbo and love the way it looks and feels. definitely sporty looking and to be honest, slippery leather seats have no place in a high performance car that you will take around corners at high speeds :)

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I have the non-leather interior on my Turbo and love the way it looks and feels. definitely sporty looking and to be honest, slippery leather seats have no place in a high performance car that you will take around corners at high speeds :)
LOL….My posterior coefficient of friction must be higher than yours…LOL.
Sponsored