alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
After bsclywilly's post I looked at the ones on my steel spring base Taycan and they look just as stressed. See yellow arrow. Instead of stainless braided hoses (which you can get), they put this spring around a conventional one. The spring doesn't help with the pinch point at the fitting. Note that even conventional brake hoses are not just rubber. They do have a braid under the rubber to contain the pressure. As said, a few more inches, and these would have been fine. It is true that these are relatively easy to inspect by turning the wheel away from the side you're going to inspect and looking in from the back and upward, and pulling the spring back. Photos are without removing the wheels, with the flash on.

left.jpg
right.jpg
This doesn’t look good at all…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche having brake issues makes me sad - especially one's that have to do with "design" vs. wear/tear…Porsche is supposed to have this sort of thing "nailed" - nothing digital/software here…

if their physical engineering sucks and their digital/software engineering is substandard - they are toast!

I'm wondering if the Macan EV has similar "issues" in that a whole new platform - perhaps we're buying into something lacking 75+ years experience…

nothing about this design issue has anything to do with EV or digital/software - so it's disappointing.

perhaps the same guy who thought 10 aWG wire was a good choice for 40 amp mulit-hour loads - felt they could also skimp on the brake-fluid-line design…saving money all over the place!

Last edited:

rkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022
Country flag
Btw scheduling a service call in advance of this issue is next to impossible right now if your dealer has the CDK global enterprise software. CDK has had a massive hacking issue and dealers are dead in the water until that is resolved. Press articles suggest next week. Fingers cross

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Porsche having brake issues makes me sad - especially one's that have to do with "design" vs. wear/tear…Porsche is supposed to have this sort of thing "nailed" - nothing digital here…

if their physical engineering sucks and their digital engineering is substandard - they are toast!

I'm wondering if the Macan EV has similar "issues" in that a whole new platform - perhaps we're buying into something lacking 75+ years experience…

nothing about this design issue has anything to do with EV or digital - so it's disappointing.

perhaps the same guy who thought 10 aWG wire was a good choice for 40 amp mulit-hour loads - felt they could also skimp on the brake-fluid-line design…saving money all over the place!
This. In spades.

These things should be simple, fundamental checks that should be done during the design phase. And designs being digital actually makes it less excusable IMO.

Reactions: D00

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Porsche having brake issues makes me sad - especially one's that have to do with "design" vs. wear/tear…Porsche is supposed to have this sort of thing "nailed" - nothing digital here…
I could not agree more, Dave. They are bad at software/tech - always have been - and apparently bad at batteries. But brakes?

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Wouldn't giving the hose an "increased bend radius" naturally mean it was a longer hose? From the pictures posted of the hose, it would seem they're trying to ease the point where the hose can crimp?

Can't tell from the photos, but would it be more inclined to crimp when the suspension's in one of the lower positions?

There's a suspicion some of us have that there's potentially dangerous tyre wear on the inside rear shoulder of the tyres, and the common factor seems (from the few examples on the thread) to be on cars that do a good chunk of miles in the lower settings too.
Quite so: Since U=2πR, to increase the radius we increase the circumference by a factor U/2π, where U is the circumference, easy peasy.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Grabbed this shot of mine, wheel were straight, raised suspension height. Car 9 months old.

Porsche Taycan Recall - Front Brake Hoses Can Crack and Leak Fluid (ARB0) - June 19, 2024 -- [2020-2025 Taycan] IMG_0497

Porsche Taycan Recall - Front Brake Hoses Can Crack and Leak Fluid (ARB0) - June 19, 2024 -- [2020-2025 Taycan] IMG_0498

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Having lived in the world of innovative design, complex manufacturing, systems integration and supply chain management, I am not ready to indict & condemn Porsche as a brand over this.
I agree. I think a new model like Taycan with its adjustable suspension is going to have issues. I can't tell you how many times I've owned a car that had a recall for something equally serious like a leaky fuel pump that could cause a fire.

To my knowledge, this design issue has not caused any fatalities or injuries (right?), so I applaud Porsche for getting ahead of this and replacing these brake lines.

@daveo4EV - This probably good news for the Macan EV. I'm sure the engineers are looking carefully at the brake lines they have designed and installed on that model too, given its Air Suspension. Also, I've noticed that brake inspections have been part of every service I've had, so any wear will be noticed.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Having lived in the world of innovative design, complex manufacturing, systems integration and supply chain management, I am not ready to indict & condemn Porsche as a brand over this.
This particular issue seems like lack of expertise, which is what is shocking from a company with this much experience. An expert is someone who has made or at least heard of nearly every possible mistake in a very narrow field. That would be the engineer who says “this hose will rub on the fitting at sharp angles causing early failure, change it”. In this case they either didn’t have an expert involved in the design, or they ignored an expert with “I am manager, I know better”, or perhaps pissed off the expert so they kept their mouth shut. It does remind me a little of the PMC/PMCC+ AWG10 wire, which I’m sure didn’t melt in simulations (except they forgot to simulate residential spec outlets). The latter is a big miss, as they could have looked at any of their competitors’ product and at least ask “why does everyone one else use larger wires and some add thermal sensors, like the Tesla EVSE recall in 2014”. But ok, this was their first EVSE, they haven’t been building them for 75 years, so maybe they were cocky and didn’t know better. But brake lines? Come on. It is hard for me to believe they have never ran into brake hose bend angle issues in 75 years, from which they should have learned.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
But ok, this was their first EVSE, they haven’t been building them for 75 years, so maybe they were cocky and didn’t know better. But brake lines? Come on. It is hard for me to believe they have never ran into brake hose bend angle issues in 75 years, from which they should have learned.
Good points all.