OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ok thanks. But the mobile charger connect says it has an 8 foot cord. What is that? Does that not go to the car? And can you explain what the “supply cables” are? Is that what you’d get to go from the plug to the charger if the plug is more than 2 feet from where you put the charger? Sorry for all the questions!

I plan on placing the plug and having the charger adjacent to the where the charge port on the car will be, when I park in the garage...
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ok thanks. But the mobile charger connect says it has an 8 foot cord. What is that? Does that not go to the car? And can you explain what the “supply cables” are? Is that what you’d get to go from the plug to the charger if the plug is more than 2 feet from where you put the charger? Sorry for all the questions!

I plan on placing the plug and having the charger adjacent to the where the charge port on the car will be, when I park in the garage...
You will wan t the electrician to place the 14-50 outlet near where you want to place the Mobile Connect Charger.
If you are able to place the charger on the wall near the port of the Taycan then the default 8.2ft cord would suffice; however, the 25ft cord allows for more flexibility. Say you plan to go car camping and take the Taycan. Many camping and RV spots have 14-50 outlets, taking your Mobile Charger Connect on the trip and having a 25' cord allows flexibility in such use cases. Also should you buy a 2nd EV. You can stretch the cord over to a second parking spot in the garage or of the port is located in the rear of the car or nose, etc. It's . up to you if you want the 25' vs the default 8.2'. The supply cables allow for less standard plugs than the 14-50, I would suggest NOT changing that.

WARNING: For non-USA buyers the 25' cord may not be an option FYI, varies by country.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Gotcha. So the 25 foot cable is in addition to the 8 foot cable?

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Oh! I wonder if I want the 25 foot cord after all, if the car is right next to the outlet. I won’t be doing any car camping...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Oh! I wonder if I want the 25 foot cord after all, if the car is right next to the outlet. I won’t be doing any car camping...
You are correct if you have no other plans the 25' can be a bit of clutter, but wound around the charger is pretty clean.
However, 25' is a little more resistance so shorter is more efficient as well. You may very well want to stay with the 8.2' if you like.
Have you pass the lock-in date for your order to make changes?

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m not sure if I’ve passed the lock in date. My dealer didn’t tell me there was such a thing. He said that he’s seen Porsche refuse any changes right after people submitted their build, so stressed that I should consider my build final. I did put in a couple small changes the next day, which did go through. But he seems like he’s a bit irritated with any changes. Regarding the cable, do you need that charging dock if you want somewhere to coil the cable?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m not sure if I’ve passed the lock in date. My dealer didn’t tell me there was such a thing. He said that he’s seen Porsche refuse any changes right after people submitted their build, so stressed that I should consider my build final. I did put in a couple small changes the next day, which did go through. But he seems like he’s a bit irritated with any changes. Regarding the cable, do you need that charging dock if you want somewhere to coil the cable?
The dock is really only handy in an outdoor setting I think as it provides security with a lock. There are many after market coiling solutions. Just make large winds was a recommendation from Clipper Creek, like 2-3ft diameter. I would not worry about it too much.
Most agree, some is good, but more is better!
You must believe Dave, else why are you getting a Taycan.

Example inexpensive aftermarket solution:
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage Z10GH_fo5oy

Last edited:

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks. Can you clarify? When you say cooling do you mean charging? And what does “just make large winds” mean? I think we are the victims of auto correct.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks. Can you clarify? When you say cooling do you mean charging? And what does “just make large winds” mean? I think we are the victims of auto correct.
Thanks, I fixed typo and added example. Like 2 to 3ft loops, not tightly wound.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This what my charger looks like (pic was taken when the permit doc was there waiting for inspector). There's usually a short cable to the plug, and I have the 18' charge cable. Most chargers work the same way, you just loop the cable over the charger, as it'll have some retaining mechanism to keep the cable from falling down.
Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage Z10GH_fo5oy

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can you use the Porsche charger on a 40a circuit (obviously it will have lower output) or does it require a 50a circuit to operate?

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks Miwa! Very helpful.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can you use the Porsche charger on a 40a circuit (obviously it will have lower output) or does it require a 50a circuit to operate?
Well I am sure that you can, though I have been unable to see where you set the max power for car to use at 7.6kW.

I reviewed the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger manual and would not see how to set a max power, though there is some WiFi app to control it so I assume it is there. Maybe an owner can find the setting.

Do understand that any of these "home/portable chargers" are not chargers at all. They simply send the 240v through to the car after the car asks for it. It also negotiates with the car on how much power is available vs. how much the car wants. They do not send the 240v (or 110v) until the car negotiates for it. This means that the actual plugs are quite safe when not in use.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
So all you need is the “mobile charger connect” (and a 50 amp outlet to plug it in to)? Why do you need 50 amps if the charger only uses 40? And what are the “supply cables” for? I don’t have one of those specified in my build. I do have the 25 foot charger cable though. What would I use that for?
The Electrical Code states that if you have a load (the charging station) pulling 40 Amps, then you need a 50Amp Breaker. You install a breaker with 20% extra capacity to prevent the breaker from tripping during normal usage.
Sponsored