Switched from 4S to GTS ST - significant reduction in range?

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Got the dreaded 'Electrical System Failure' on my 2020 4S finally after 40,000 miles and it required a new HV battery (which Porsche replaced for free). However, while at the dealer dropping off the car, they had a 2023 GTS ST that I fell in love with, and they were able to offer me a deal I couldn't refuse for trading in the 4S.

However, I'm surprised by the decrease in range in the GTS (~25% less), and was curious if anyone knows why. I had 21" Mission-E style rims on my 4S, versus the 21" RS rims on the GTS, but would expect those to very comparable from an aerodynamic standpoint (neither are 'aero' wheels). Running the exact same tire on both. And testing is over the exact same roads I have for comparison to in the 4S with same traffic and roughly same weather (and because of traffic, going the same average speed in both). Porsche shows only a 3 mile difference in range going from the sedan to ST trim (I'm assuming that's the 50 lb mass increase of the ST). If I was pushing the car harder I would expect a bigger decrease, but for this testing it's been stuck in standard traffic where you can't get above 75 mph. So I'm surprised to see such a major change in kWh/100mi.

I'm still less than 200 miles on the GTS, so is there some 'wear-in' of the bearings before it reaches normal efficiency? Or is the efficiency something calculated / "learned" off past driving history like the range calculation, and not a true representation of current real-time consumption? I will say I've seen a mild improvement in the kWh/100 mi over this week, but I'm still a good 20% lower than what I was used to seeing in the 4S.

I'm still very happy with the GTS, and range was never a concern for me, I just find it surprising and wanted to see what others thought might drive the drastic decrease. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
When new my 4S was showing 200 miles range. I think after 4/500 miles it went up to 260.
Give it time to adjust and learn.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
However, I'm surprised by the decrease in range in the GTS (~25% less), and was curious if anyone knows why. I had 21" Mission-E style rims on my 4S, versus the 21" RS rims on the GTS, but would expect those to very comparable from an aerodynamic standpoint (neither are 'aero' wheels). Running the exact same tire on both. And testing is over the exact same roads I have for comparison to in the 4S with same traffic and roughly same weather (and because of traffic, going the same average speed in both). Porsche shows only a 3 mile difference in range going from the sedan to ST trim (I'm assuming that's the 50 lb mass increase of the ST). If I was pushing the car harder I would expect a bigger decrease, but for this testing it's been stuck in standard traffic where you can't get above 75 mph. So I'm surprised to see such a major change in kWh/100mi.
You can't really judge the efficiency after only 200 miles. There is some mechanical break in that will increase your efficiency (probably pretty minor). You almost certainly do not have any brake regeneration yet which will also improve your efficiency. The guess-o-meter uses a look-back strategy to guess your range so the displayed range is looking at some pretty horrible numbers from construction to delivery to you. My '23 GTS (20" summer tires in a warm climate) went from a range of 220 miles at delivery to consistently in the 260-270 mile range now. The pre-delivery first 15 miles were at 103.5 kWh/100 miles. Current lifetime average is 29.0 kWh/100. Consumption dropped steadily for probably the first 1,500 miles. Denver is probably starting to get pretty cold so you might not see decent numbers until the weather warms up but you should wind up pretty close to the 4S.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Got the dreaded 'Electrical System Failure' on my 2020 4S finally after 40,000 miles and it required a new HV battery (which Porsche replaced for free). However, while at the dealer dropping off the car, they had a 2023 GTS ST that I fell in love with, and they were able to offer me a deal I couldn't refuse for trading in the 4S.

I'm still less than 200 miles on the GTS, so is there some 'wear-in' of the bearings before it reaches normal efficiency? Or is the efficiency something calculated / "learned" off past driving history like the range calculation, and not a true representation of current real-time consumption? I will say I've seen a mild improvement in the kWh/100 mi over this week, but I'm still a good 20% lower than what I was used to seeing in the 4S.

I'm still very happy with the GTS, and range was never a concern for me, I just find it surprising and wanted to see what others thought might drive the drastic decrease. Thoughts?
Consumption is higher on GTS ST than 4S (I went from 4S to GTS ST) - 4.5K miles any my best consumption is 2.8 miles / kW compared to 3.3 miles / kW. I do a lot of short journeys which is a killer. Long run - 130 miles - 2.7 to 2.8 is the best I've had. GTS Spyder wheels don't help consumption either.

Ignore the stated range after a charge as it is based an a variety of parameters which you can't control. Use the Taycan range calculator on the website to see what you can expect give or take.

OP
OP
Squiden

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Thanks everyone! I'll give it a few months and see how it ends up changing.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag

But did you also notice the significant improvement in performance?

Talisker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo S, 20 Taycan Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo S ST
Country flag
I moved from the Turbo to the Turbo S and have seen a huge drop in range despite doing over 2000 miles

sandro73

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
There is quite a considerable range difference between the Taycan sedan and ST or CT. Usually I think there are about 10-20% difference.

MHC

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo, 2022 BMW IX,
Country flag
I went from a 2020 turbo with 21 inch wheels to a 2023 GTS St. With 21 inch wheels. I am getting better range on the GTS - typically 240 miles . I love the ST as it is the most functional Taycan with the rear hatch and better headroom in rear seat. For everyday driving - Performance of the GTS is similar to the Turbo.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag

smaller battery?

Gareth Swain

First Name
Gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST
Country flag
Really interested in this thread. I went from a 4s with battery plus and 21 inch mission e rims to a GTS ST with the 21 inch RS spyders too. The 4s was easily up at 270/280miles. Only driven 2,000 miles on the GTS but definitely less efficient. Getting around 2.8 miles/kwh. Have now moved to winter tyres and turbo aero 20 inch. First trip on those achieved 3.2 miles/kwh. Lots of variables but the 21 inch spyders seem to be a decisive negative factor as regards range. Does anyone have definitive data?

OP
OP
Squiden

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
But did you also notice the significant improvement in performance?
Definitely faster, but like everything else, it's not such a huge increase that I'd say it's everything. I don't notice any difference in comfort in "Normal" mode, but in "Sport" mode I feels a lot tighter which I like. Mostly, there are a lot of other upgrades that I didn't pay for in my 4S (surround camera, Innodrive, 4-zone climate control, etc) that has made the day-to-day slog through traffic more entertaining while still being awesome on the weekends for having some fun on the back roads. :)

OP
OP
Squiden

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Really interested in this thread. I went from a 4s with battery plus and 21 inch mission e rims to a GTS ST with the 21 inch RS spyders too. The 4s was easily up at 270/280miles. Only driven 2,000 miles on the GTS but definitely less efficient. Getting around 2.8 miles/kwh. Have now moved to winter tyres and turbo aero 20 inch. First trip on those achieved 3.2 miles/kwh. Lots of variables but the 21 inch spyders seem to be a decisive negative factor as regards range. Does anyone have definitive data?
Yeah, I was often able to get close to 300 miles in my 4S, and if I go off the range indicator right now, I'd be lucky to get 240 miles... but it is starting to creep up. I'll have some longer trips coming up for the Holidays and will have to see how it does.
Sponsored