First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It's just more anti EV propoganda....

As stated above, the figures are average for a 200k car (but don't let that get in the way of a good story).

Since owning my car, I've noticed that people who were neutral on EVs - have now become mostly anti EV.

As EVs become more mainstream and legislation looms, they feel like they need to decide whether to like them, or dislike them (a forced polarised decision).

As familiarity is comfortable and many of them can't afford one, or don't like being forced into change etc - they have come to the conclusion that they dislike EVs.
Never driven one....never owned one.....they just know they are bad.

The media know this and provide them with all the (false) 'information' they need.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68130432.amp

Meanwhile I just see more and more new EVs appearing on the roads. Slowly but surely.

So when these people start to rant, I can't help but think of King Canute sitting on his throne on the beach, demanding the tide not to come in.

Last edited:

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Such a bullshit. In 2019, I bought a BMW 740Le 2017 with just 8000km from Germany (basically a new car). Its price was 165k euros when bought new. I got it for 65k euros. Don’t say that Taycan depreciates that much :D (sold it for 58k 1.5years later. What a great deal it was!)

another example - bought a new X5 45e in 2020. Highly specced. Price was 120k euros. 2 years later and 32k km on it, I sold it for 80k euros. 33% loss. And that’s extremely demanding vehicle for the market.

once this bullshit around EV ends and people start to get more used EVs, it’ll stabilize

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
EQS loses almost 50% of its value in the first year itself. Here's an article about it from earlier today.

Mercedes-Benz EQS Loses Nearly Half Its Value After One Year, Study Says (motor1.com)
I saw the same headlines. I remember looking for an EQS AMG when I couldn't find a Taycan allocation. At the time I priced out the EQS 580 for ~$120K a couple of years ago (MB dealer told me they all sold at MSRP+$25K at that time, mostly to California). I searched today for one year old one for $60K, as I figured it might be a good deal to pick one up (I figured I could negotiate it down to $55K, great range, very luxurious car), but surprisingly no go. Most are listed at $100K+, and the cheapest I found was $76K, but not one I would consider. So again, it seems news likes to blow things up, a lot - found one car somewhere that sold for half MSRP, makes the news.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
That's only when you sell it
No problem here.
No, honestly, I don't know any EV that looks better, drives better and is quicker than a Taycan so I don't have/want to sell it.
Except the Turbo GT but then again, I don't like the looks.
So....... depreciation, I really don't care.

MAPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2023.5 Defender, 2019 X1
Country flag
Simply put: 90% of luxury cars depreciate 50% in 4 years. Yes, there are exceptions but this is generally the 'rule'.

Taycan is not materially off from that (and, yes, I bought my 2020 4S for exactly 50% of MSRP about 6 months ago).

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My brother in law just got a EQS SUV stickered 110k for like 30%+ off brand new. He took the car to carmax to appraise it and they offered 65k. So, it lost 40% in the first week.
Not exactly. The car was sold for $77K retail, and carmax offered a trade-in value of $65K. Any car you buy new and try to trade in the next day will appear to lose the difference between retail and wholesale. Carmax believed they could sell it for $77K. The fact that there was 30% off MSRP, that's just pricing variation. Manufacturers like to list MSRP and vary incentives with the market, but it is no different than what Tesla does by simply adjusting MSRP - Tesla's approach is actually more transparent. Yes, the same car new will have varying price throughout its lifespan.

Last edited:

EXOTIC3

First Name
Jilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid/ Panamera/ Fisker/Karma/ C8 Z06 great exotic
Country flag
I know a low mile 2020 Turbo S
Sold for 89K local on west coast
Had 14 k miles clean carfax