Tesla Superchargers & Taycan for dummies

Andics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST MY24, GLE 300D / Macan4 on order
Country flag
I can't find a simple how-to guide of what is needed to use Tesla SuperChargers (UK based if it makes any differences).

Can anyone share a link to which adapter should I buy?

Other than finding the ones which are open to all cars and doing the tesla subscription - is there anything else needed?

thanks!
Sponsored

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
I can't find a simple how-to guide of what is needed to use Tesla SuperChargers (UK based if it makes any differences).

Other than finding the ones which are open to all cars and doing the tesla subscription - is there anything else needed?

thanks!
My understanding is that no adapter is needed except in the US.

Download the Tesla app for your mobile phone, go to “Charge your non-Tesla” and add the car to your account, add a payment method and you should be good to go. I think. 🤔

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
Download the Tesla app for your mobile phone, go to “Charge your non-Tesla” and add the car to your account, add a payment method and you should be good to go. I think. 🤔
This.
And when you are at the charger, connect the cable, open the app and select the stall to start charging.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
As stated above, in Europe we are lucky to have the CCS2 standard for nearly all DC chargers. There are a few relics of CHAdeMO , but not at Tesla Superchargers. There are quite a number of Tesla stations that are open to all EV’s now, but not all of them. You also need to look at some photographs before deciding to use one. The Tesla chargers normally have quite short cable.

And most important of all your car needs to have the optional upgrade option of 150 kW charger.

Dave Birch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s cross turismo
Country flag
This.
And when you are at the charger, connect the cable, open the app and select the stall to start charging.
Spot on. Works well each time at chargers that are approved for non-Tesla. The chargers have two leads each and one is compatible with Taycan.

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
You also need to look at some photographs before deciding to use one. The Tesla chargers normally have quite short cable
This is a good point! Not at all SuC’s the cables are long enough for the Taycan due to location of the charger.

Sly_North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST PB+
Country flag
  • No adapter is required. The Tesla chargers already have the correct cable+plug.
  • Install the Tesla app in your phone; add your payment card in settings/charging/My payments.
    If you enjoyed the first charging, consider whether the subscription is relevant in your case. For me, if I pay 100.- CHF/year, the price goes from 0.50 or 0.55 CHF/kWh down to 0.37-0.41 CHF/kWH (the price changes depending on the time of the day).
  • Once at the charger:
    • Drive in forward; your charger will be on the front-right - in Europe; maybe front-left in the UK?
    • The only catch I can see: I think the DC fast charge port is on the front-left in the UK. Which could be the wrong side for a Tesla Supercharge. If so, maybe only the newer v3 chargers will have a long enough cable.
      Or you'll have to use the neighbor charger, occupying 2 spots.
    • The Tesla system is very good: plug the cable, then in the app: select "charge your EV" then the supercharger on the map, then the letter+digit code identifying your booth.
      Or tap in the app, then plug the cable. The order doesn't matter, it does work very well.
      It's even simpler for Tesla owners, as they only have to plug their car AFAIK.
  • If all's fine, take a pic "do I have the right car here?"
Porsche Taycan Tesla Superchargers & Taycan for dummies 1718464116668-qh

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andics

Andics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST MY24, GLE 300D / Macan4 on order
Country flag