what is the best at home charger for a Taycan?

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I call the cable between my phone and the wall a “charger” too.
That cable is supplying DC power which is connected to an external charger.

It's really not that hard to understand.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It's really not that hard to understand.
...maybe it is. Your first post qualified AC supply. This one references an “external” charger for DC supply.

Do you think a rectifier is a “charger”?
Or...what exactly do you think a “charger”is?

Separately, my point was that since Porsche calls their EVSEs “chargers” and people generally call the cables they plug into their phones “chargers”, lots of websites call EVSEs “chargers”, and even Tesla has “Super Charger”, it’s a long, hard (likely pointless) road correcting people over it (and I think you may be “correcting” incorrectly anyway).

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
...maybe it is. Your first post qualified AC supply. This one references an “external” charger for DC supply.

Do you think a rectifier is a “charger”?
Or...what exactly do you think a “charger”is?

Separately, my point was that since Porsche calls their EVSEs “chargers” and people generally call the cables they plug into their phones “chargers”, lots of websites call EVSEs “chargers”, and even Tesla has “Super Charger”, it’s a long, hard (likely pointless) road correcting people over it (and I think you may be “correcting” incorrectly anyway).
The context of this post was asking about the quality of chargers or difference between them.

I am simply stating that external AC units play no role in the efficiency or performance of charging.

The performance and efficiency of the AC to DC convertor is in the car.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The context of this post was asking about the quality of chargers or difference between them.

I am simply stating that external AC units play no role in the efficiency or performance of charging.

The performance and efficiency of the AC to DC convertor is in the car.
The original post didn’t say anything about quality, performance, or efficiency. You’re adding that now.

And quality could be a lot of things that aren’t performance or efficiency.

The original post asked if the OP should stick with the Porsche charger or select a different one.

A later lost from the OP said he wanted it to work well and be reliable. And that WiFi would be nice.

And your post said “AC chargers are not chargers”. Not whatever you’re claiming above.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That may be, but my point here:

is there’s a lot of support for the wrong nomenclature.

And making a distinction for AC (as the post mine was in reply to) is really wrong.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That may be, but my point here:
is there’s a lot of support for the wrong nomenclature.

And making a distinction for AC (as the post mine was in reply to) is really wrong.
I am not sure I am following, sorry. Super chargers are chargers, they convert to DC needed to charge, so they ARE the charger. The L2 is an EVSE, an interface, not the charger. So if others are using these terms incorrectly we should not simply go along.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not sure I am following, sorry. Super chargers are chargers, they convert to DC needed to charge, so they ARE the charger. The L2 is an EVSE, an interface, not the charger. So if others are using these terms incorrectly we should not simply go along.
What does the term “charger” encompass exactly? Is it just the rectifier? If so, we already have a term for that...rectifier. Why would we need another as charger?

Asking sincerely.

Separately, what about when the DC is not the correct voltage? e.g. 400VDC vs 800VDC. Is it a charger in some contexts and not others? If so, how does one refer to it in isolation? A “maybe” charger?
What if I take the DC output from a “charger”, invert it, and then take it to an L2 EVSE for my car? What are all of those pieces then?

Good luck not going along when it’s in the name. I guess you’ll being referring to them as the PMEVSE+ and PMEVSEC then?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well I don’t want to keep derailing the OPs question here, but I for one will not alter the correct usage just because others are misusing them. YMMV.

this can have its own topic.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the one that comes with the vehicle is fine - but not my personal favorite.

I recommend ClipperCreek EVSE’s for most people.

if you want a 2nd charger (one to keep in the car or vacation home) the Porsche chargers are too big and way way way way too expensive for what they are in North America - you are better off going with non-Porsche options.

EV charging conforms to published standards - and therefore are not manufacture specific in terms of charging an EV - any north american EVSE should be able to charge any EV…

50 or 60 amp EVSE’s are nice option to future proof your garage - this is your first EV not your last EV so get a good high quality EVSE, install it and forget it.

If you want to maximize the charge rate of your Taycan at home it’s 11 kW (not 9.6) and you can install a ClipperCreek HCS-60 (60 amp breaker = 48 amp charge rate = 11 kw) - that will charge your Taycan slightly faster than the prosche 9.6 kW limit (due to it using a 50 amp plug).

the porsche charger is fine and since included with the vehicle is a good choice, but if it were optional I’d skip it and go with a non-Porsche option for higher quality lower cost alternative.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
the one that comes with the vehicle is fine - but not my personal favorite.

I recommend ClipperCreek EVSE’s for most people.

if you want a 2nd charger (one to keep in the car or vacation home) the Porsche chargers are too big and way way way way too expensive for what they are in North America - you are better off going with non-Porsche options.

EV charging conforms to published standards - and therefore are not manufacture specific in terms of charging an EV - any north american EVSE should be able to charge any EV…

50 or 60 amp EVSE’s are nice option to future proof your garage - this is your first EV not your last EV so get a good high quality EVSE, install it and forget it.

If you want to maximize the charge rate of your Taycan at home it’s 11 kW (not 9.6) and you can install a ClipperCreek HCS-60 (60 amp breaker = 48 amp charge rate = 11 kw) - that will charge your Taycan slightly faster than the prosche 9.6 kW limit (due to it using a 50 amp plug).

the porsche charger is fine and since included with the vehicle is a good choice, but if it were optional I’d skip it and go with a non-Porsche option for higher quality lower cost alternative.
I have the PMCC that I keep in the car. Not ideal due to above reasons. I placed my order when it was a required option. On my order it was a $0 option. By the time I picked up the car, my final invoice had the full charge for the PMCC. I was not impressed and forced them to standby the $0 on my original build sheet. I had to buy a hardwired EVSE for my condo building parking spot due to the rules for the building. I only got the PMCC because it was $0 and would have gone with a more mobile option if I had to pay for it. It works fine and does the job - I don’t find the wifi features that useful and would have simply bought a basic EVSE for mobile purposes.

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I’ve got a quote from a London installer for the EO Mini Pro 2. However, they also install the Andersen A2 (Porsche recommended), Zappi and Pod Point.

Does anyone have thoughts on which of these is the best? I’m leaning towards the EO (compact size, clean design) or Andersen (style, engineering).

I’m on the Octopus Go tariff. Side note, the App Store reviews for the apps are average or terrible.

Ymt400

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Tycan 4S in Gentian Blue: Previous: Macan S
Country flag
I’ve got a quote from a London installer for the EO Mini Pro 2. However, they also install the Andersen A2 (Porsche recommended), Zappi and Pod Point.

Does anyone have thoughts on which of these is the best? I’m leaning towards the EO (compact size, clean design) or Andersen (style, engineering).

I’m on the Octopus Go tariff. Side note, the App Store reviews for the apps are average or terrible.
I went with the Andersen and it’s worked perfectly since installation. Just plug it in and that’s it. Automatically connects and charges depending on your profile. App is good and tracks KWh consumed and cost. It’s more expensive but looks great and worth the extra cost. Porsche recommends for good reason.

911GP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag

The EO is compact but you will have to attach your cable to it every time you want to charge. I think it is easier to have a charger with a tethered cable.

I have heard that the pod point have terrible support when they go wrong.

Andersen are good if you need/want the looks.

I went with a tethered Zappi since it was a little cheaper and the unit sits in my garage so I don't need the looks of an Andersen. The Zappi has good customer support (but i haven't needed any support yet), the web app works well (but you don't really need it. It is more fyi) and it can be integrated with solar panels if you have them. From experience I can say it works very well with the Porsche. I set up the timers and profile on the car and just use the Zappi for power.

Since you are in London call Elecology for a quote and their opinion on chargers since they install all types including Andersen. Elecology are brilliant.
Sponsored