CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
Update on my issue.....detyermined that 4 cells need to be replaced.
Necessary parts are being ordered. Porsche tech needs to fly in and be present
It will be scheduled......but the wife's Taycan car will be down for some time.
sorry to hear that - i am still waiting for some insights from porsche service. It seems my dealer thinks it may have just been a software or 12v battery issue - not convinced myself but we will see.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Well, the good news is they’ve identified the issue and they’re flying in an expert to take care of it. What I did was make sure that they gave me some time to speak directly with the Porsche technician. He told me there are only 11 of them in the country so if You want, this is your chance to talk to the real expert about your battery. I found it incredibly informative.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
Ugh - sorry to hear it.

Did they provide a loaner?

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Ugh - sorry to hear it.

Did they provide a loaner?
Yep, yep.....dealership here has always been very good about that. I'm fortunate.
But, the wife needs the Taycan and driving something else is not in the cards.
So, for now, I've not taken them up on a loaner....and I'm doing chauffer duty.

irish_spring

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW M4, BMW X7
Country flag
So I got the error the other day. Called Porsche and arranged a flat bed to Stevens Creek Porsche for the next day. Luckily car was at home when it happened. Then right before the truck arrived the error went away. Go figure.
I sent it to Porsche anyway and they confirmed the error was in the logs. Now they are doing multiple days of road testing at different battery levels per some Porsche work instruction. If it clears they will hand it back as is. If not then I’m not sure what comes next.
my service manager said another Taycan came in shortly after with the same problem so they are working on two cars simultaneously.

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So an update on my red circle of death - the 12v battery somehow drained while it was parked at the dealer’s service lot. The dealer boosted the battery - the car started with a fully charged 12v battery, the SA tells me they ran through all of the warranty required checks and found nothing wrong with either the 12 V battery or the HV battery. He tells me there was nothing noteworthy in the error logs. So yet another inconclusive red circle error…….

I picked up the car today, I will say the WPN9-2 campaign they completed when they had the car seems to have improved the PCM performance for me.

I guess the only thing to do for now is to be grateful that there is nothing major (yet) and drive the car until we can conclude that this was either a harbinger or a glitch event….

irish_spring

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW M4, BMW X7
Country flag
So I got the error the other day. Called Porsche and arranged a flat bed to Stevens Creek Porsche for the next day. Luckily car was at home when it happened. Then right before the truck arrived the error went away. Go figure.
I sent it to Porsche anyway and they confirmed the error was in the logs. Now they are doing multiple days of road testing at different battery levels per some Porsche work instruction. If it clears they will hand it back as is. If not then I’m not sure what comes next.
my service manager said another Taycan came in shortly after with the same problem so they are working on two cars simultaneously.
So after three cars weeks without the car I’ve finally go a notification that Porsche have approved a high voltage battery cell repair. Unfortunately they still cannot confirm when they can make the fix. Looks like the car will be gone for another few weeks. Sorry to say but I’m not impressed with Porsche service.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
So after three cars weeks without the car I’ve finally go a notification that Porsche have approved a high voltage battery cell repair. Unfortunately they still cannot confirm when they can make the fix. Looks like the car will be gone for another few weeks. Sorry to say but I’m not impressed with Porsche service.
Couldn’t agree more my car was down for four months before I got it back. To me this is unacceptable. I was treated well the whole time but that long of a wait is just bad. They replaced twelve of my cell packs which also made no sense instead of just replacing the entire battery. It would have shaved six weeks of my wait as I wouldn’t have had to have the special tech come out. I really think my car was used as a demonstration to teach the local tech how to do cell repairs. The cost to fix is absolutely beyond outrageous as well. Thankfully it was covered under warranty as that would have ended up in a divorce haha.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The red electrical warning is more than a disgusting sight. Per Porsche it is a warning of potential safety hazard aka "a thermal event".

"If customers do not contact a Porsche Center despite a red warning message in the vehicle, and a sufficient amount of conductive liquid has accumulated in the high-volt battery, electric arcs could build up that could heighten the risk of a thermal event."​
from: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10248170-0001.pdf

Red electrical warnings "risk of a thermal event" should be reported to NHTSA , in addition to the dealer.

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I started this thread when my car showed the red circle of death end of December - anyway, after it mysteriously corrected itself last time it was towed back in last Thursday for its second RCoD (as i stated in another thread - this may not be happening to ALL Taycans - but it is occurring enough that it deserves an acronym :angry:)

The Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
That is not Coronado…. That is Indian Wells Ca where I have a winter home …. I was preparing to head out to Coronado on a trip for a New Years Eve party when the red circle appeared.
I am at the hotel Del Coronado now……. a rather more gloomy room picture this morning ……,

IMG_0196.jpeg
If you think that’s gloomy you should try the UK anytime about now…

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Update....some progress....work on battery done, resealed, re-install in progress.

Tay.png
Is that sealant goop everywhere around the modules? Doesn't look very neat/factory finished – having seen these batteries at the Taycan factory before they get installed.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Is that sealant goop everywhere around the modules? Doesn't look very neat/factory finished – having seen these batteries at the Taycan factory before they get installed.
Tiger.....I believe you are correct.
Not real surprising that a field re-seal (by a PCNA tech) would not look as slick as the factory job.....probably done robotically.
Sponsored