Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
two things:
  1. bummer - it should pre-heat the battery
  2. pre-heating should be accessible by driver/occupant independent of NAV destination.
software is always a work in progress…
I absolutely agree. Porsche drivers control shock stiffness, shift logic & battery temp via sport modes, etc. why not give us control over preheating for charging?
Sponsored

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
Apple Maps users have totally hijacked the “report hazard” to indicated police controls and speed traps. I had to laugh out loud the first time I tapped “hazard still present”.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I could never give up Waze as my default navigation system. Combining those Waze police alerts with high-end radar/laser detection is unparalleled.

Not to mention the helpful, but alarming, "Object on road ahead."

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Quoting my own post..
I’ve noticed the same - meaning the car’s SoC was 2 units lower than Apple Maps predicted (so not 2% lower 😊). Not only that, but midway through the trip I switched to the built-in nav, which estimated the correct arrival SoC.
(edited to remove unnecessary context) I can report that the discrepancy in SoC has been addressed with iOS 16.5. 👍

Presumably pre-heating the battery is next - in 16.5.1?

Last edited:

Ren

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021,Cayenne PD3 2009 , 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Don't think this works in the UK as yet , as I cannot find it under functions , and yes it would be good to know if Apple Maps is pre-heating the battery on the way to a charging station.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
that's a big miss from Porsche. it really feels like infotainment QC at Porsche is a joke. This Cariad belly-flop has been nothing short of a carnage; delayed EV Macans, very grumpy Porsche clients, radio that forgets favourites, etc. etc. At this point they should just kill it with fire as start from scratch
It's not poor Quality Control. It's poor, or non-existent, User Experience design.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Quoting my own post..

Thanks to an anonymous tip (much appreciated, @anonymous ;) ) - I can report that the discrepancy in SoC has been addressed with iOS 16.5. 👍

Presumably pre-heating the battery is next - in 16.5.1?
The Mach-E forum posts report there is an Apple Maps EV update coming later in 2023 with even more integration where they will get preconditioning.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Cayenne S and 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
As an Apple Maps user, I’m glad they’ve finally integrated with Apple’s EV route planning. I’d requested this as an improvement in the review I left for the app; glad to see it’s made it. I much prefer the route guidance and UI of Apple Maps in CarPlay over Google Maps or the native Porsche maps.
This is awesome news! I just activated it on my iPhone and I’m excited to have Apple’s familiar and trusted UI for my Trip Charging Planing integrated into the turn by turn navigation guidance which I use regularly

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
For those of you with ties to Apple, here is my wish list:

1. Integrated battery pre-conditionings based on selected charge sites;
2. More robust options for how charging stations along the route are selected (e.g., filtered by plug share rating, brand, availability, etc . . . );
3. Integration with HUD and over steering wheel dash display;
4. Better traffic recognition and routing; and
5. More straight forward method for reporting police and other hazards.

Thanks.

dugbug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw 228i, X3
Country flag
For those of you that have used Apple Maps for this new feature and have noticed no preheating of the battery, did you purchase the Porsche route planner sw?

just wondering if that preconditioning requires this

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
For those of you with ties to Apple, here is my wish list:

1. Integrated battery pre-conditionings based on selected charge sites;
2. More robust options for how charging stations along the route are selected (e.g., filtered by plug share rating, brand, availability, etc . . . );
3. Integration with HUD and over steering wheel dash display;
4. Better traffic recognition and routing; and
5. More straight forward method for reporting police and other hazards.

Thanks.
I think you will get--hmm--70% of this when iOS 17 is announced and the beta is shipped in a couple weeks. Fingers x'd for all of us.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
For those of you that have used Apple Maps for this new feature and have noticed no preheating of the battery, did you purchase the Porsche route planner sw?

just wondering if that preconditioning requires this
I believe you mean the intelligent range manager? And yes, I have that and no preheating. The standard nav has charger planning and preheating. The IRM adds heroic measures to minimize travel time.

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a chance to test out this new nice feature this weekend on a couple hour road trip. Upgrading my iPhone was easy (as usual). Connecting the car to Apple Maps was as described through the MyPorsche app… no issues.

While I appreciate the % battery upon arrival in the Apple Maps UI, I do miss the miles and minutes remaining of the trip. I understand it’d probably take up too much space to show all that info. And I can only hope this is just the beginning of Apple CarPlay and native apps taking over the entire Porsche UI.

As for battery preconditioning, I found no evidence of that occurring as I put an Electrify America charging destination into Apple Maps. (I’m still learning the Taycan… is there a battery preconditioning notification in the PCM / Porsche Maps?) The battery temperature was in the ideal range 86-90F when I arrived, but I suspect that was more related to the outside weather conditions and stop and go nature of the city traffic I was driving in.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
pre-heating should be accessible by driver/occupant independent of NAV destination
Agreed.
The most convenient charger for me on the one long trip I do regularly isn’t seen as a charger so I navigate to the business which owns it but don’t get a preheated battery. It is a 150kW charger but I get about 65kW initially but all the others on the route are only 50kW.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Agreed.
The most convenient charger for me on the one long trip I do regularly isn’t seen as a charger so I navigate to the business which owns it but don’t get a preheated battery. It is a 150kW charger but I get about 65kW initially but all the others on the route are only 50kW.
@f1eng I agree on manually-initiated preconditioning - that should be available to the driver ideally. For your 150kW charger - have you searched specifically for that location using the charging 'filter' in the PCM nav search? It's possible to find the same location both as a generic POI (sans charging) and as a PCM-recognized charging location. It's only the latter that the PCM will precondition for when it is part of a route. The most visible difference will be a numeric kilowatts label on the charging version of the POI.

Acknowledging that there are chargers that are simply not known to the PCM nav. For example, here in the USA, the rare few Tesla Supercharger CCS compatible chargers are not yet known to the PCS nav as charging POIs, so no preheating for those.
Sponsored

Last edited: