David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
For those of you with ties to Apple, here is my wish list:

1. Integrated battery pre-conditionings based on selected charge sites;
2. More robust options for how charging stations along the route are selected (e.g., filtered by plug share rating, brand, availability, etc . . . );
3. Integration with HUD and over steering wheel dash display;
4. Better traffic recognition and routing; and
5. More straight forward method for reporting police and other hazards.

Thanks.
hey siri works pretty well for #5…but I agree there could be some better on screen UI.
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
hey siri works pretty well for #5…but I agree there could be some better on screen UI.
Yes, sorry I wasn’t clearer. I meant that I wish Apple just came out and said it. “Report Police” and then warned as one approached with “Police Reported” and same thing with speed cameras and red light cameras. I know, I know that if I were more of a saint, or at least not so much of a sinner, that wouldn’t matter.

I’ve also been looking at routing everyday to see the differences between Waze, Apple and Porsche. Very interesting. I would need two partners in the experiment so we could actually drive them and compare predicted with actual, because comparing predicted to predicted and only checking one actual isn’t all that useful.

WindsurfUS1111

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD; 2023 Rivian R1S; 2018 Volvo XC90
Country flag
can someone explain how to update the Porsche ios in the car with the links provided, please?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
can someone explain how to update the Porsche ios in the car with the links provided, please?
download the latest Porsche app from the iOS app store - and you're good to go.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
For your 150kW charger - have you searched specifically for that location using the charging 'filter' in the PCM nav search?
First thing I did for the route.
Then I scrolled along the route in ZapMap and came across the one in question. I've used it twice now but last year, I am doing the route again next month and will look to see if it has been added yet then.
There have been several OTA map updates, presumably more new chargers aware than road changes.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
pre-heating should be accessible by driver/occupant independent of NAV destination
OMG, this so much. I have begged Porsche over the years to be able to mark a waypoint in the Nav as requiring pre-heating – but there is just no movement on it.

I think Porsche are just totally locked into the idea that the PRIM should just "do the right thing" and that users shouldn't even have knowledge of battery pre-heating.

But the reality of their solution is so poor in real-world usage. My pet hate is that it plots a route – and you're happy with it. Maybe you plan some food at one of the stops – as you know its a good place with facilities. Then as you are on the road – you're using a little less energy then the PCM estimated and suddenly your planned stop is yanked out of the route – and some shit 50kW broken unit behind an abandoned hotel – is recommended instead.

You know – at this stage in Europe – I'd be happy if we could just have the "IONITY Only" option they recently pushed into the European MyPorsche app. Not enough IONITY stations in UK/Ireland for that to work for every route – but its getting better. And in continental Europe – there is.

AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!

RichardPB

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT Gentian Blue /retired AR Quadrifolio
Country flag
Apple Maps via Carplay Now Supports EV Charging for Taycan does this work in the UK ?

RichardPB

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT Gentian Blue /retired AR Quadrifolio
Country flag
Don't think this works in the UK as yet , as I cannot find it under functions , and yes it would be good to know if Apple Maps is pre-heating the battery on the way to a charging station.
done all the updates does not seem to be available in the UK? Is it coming to us do we know?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
Finally, you are able to plan a trip via Apple Maps in Carplay and navigate to EV chargers when a charge is required. You don't need to exit Carplay to find charging opportunities with the PCM navigation. The only thing you need to do is update your Porsche iOS app.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/05/17/apple-maps-porsche-ev-routing/
Thanks very much for the post. That is good news although we use Waze most often.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
OMG, this so much. I have begged Porsche over the years to be able to mark a waypoint in the Nav as requiring pre-heating – but there is just no movement on it.

I think Porsche are just totally locked into the idea that the PRIM should just "do the right thing" and that users shouldn't even have knowledge of battery pre-heating.

But the reality of their solution is so poor in real-world usage. My pet hate is that it plots a route – and you're happy with it. Maybe you plan some food at one of the stops – as you know its a good place with facilities. Then as you are on the road – you're using a little less energy then the PCM estimated and suddenly your planned stop is yanked out of the route – and some shit 50kW broken unit behind an abandoned hotel – is recommended instead.

You know – at this stage in Europe – I'd be happy if we could just have the "IONITY Only" option they recently pushed into the European MyPorsche app. Not enough IONITY stations in UK/Ireland for that to work for every route – but its getting better. And in continental Europe – there is.

AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!
Totally agree with this. Very frustrating and the only way is to sit and plan in stopovers at Ionity yourself along a route. Getting a ”Map update successfully installed” message and then routed to a 50 kW charger, is not good for my blood pressure!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Totally agree with this. Very frustrating and the only way is to sit and plan in stopovers at Ionity yourself along a route. Getting a ”Map update successfully installed” message and then routed to a 50 kW charger, is not good for my blood pressure!
Also, it seems to have no sense of "number of stalls". A single 300 kW charger will be chosen over a location with 20 x 150 kW pedestals.

Algorithmically it is a complex enough challenge – but the race to get the biggest charging number possible on press releases has resulted in some very poor or questionable charging data being added.

We buy Porsche's for their focus on quality and driving experience – and in the case of Porsche Charging Service – they've focused on quantity – to the detriment of the user experience.

And they don't have to sacrifice usability – just swallow their pride a little bit – and make some "advanced options" available to those users who want to use them:
  • [X] Mark waypoint/stopover as requiring battery pre-conditioning.
  • [X} Don't change charing options after route is plotted.
  • [X] Only recommend charging options from these networks: A, B, C (allow choice of networks)
I'm glad the Porsche Charing Service exists – I like it – I'm impressed with IONITY's pricing in Europe even through inflation and the spike in energy pricing. It's being let down by PCM/PRIM simplified view of the world.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
I'm glad the Porsche Charing Service exists – I like it – I'm impressed with IONITY's pricing in Europe even through inflation and the spike in energy pricing. It's being let down by PCM/PRIM simplified view of the world.
Yes the Porsche Charging service with Ionity chargers is fantastic. There are many on the major routes now and through Germany a lot of others also work extremely well. However there are still quite a few where the car will direct you to a site, stating 5 free 300 kW chargers, only to find a shared CHAdeMO, and two CCS plugs with max 150 kW. Another 4 units with 11 kW chargers make up the 5 units advertised. Clearly not Porsches fault since they rely on info from the chargers, networks. But some quality control is expected with such a premium brand as Porsche.