Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Am currently in Cornwall, unexpectedly in the Taycan, 315-350 miles from home.

The trip down was smooth and uneventful, though needed two charge stops (Leigh Delamere and Exeter) with the way the app route planner sent us. But this route took us an extra 35miles or so out of our way and missed out Stonehenge (which I always love to see 🙂).

ZappMap reckons there's a Gridserve stop at Solstice Park Services with 8x 350kw chargers.

This is nearly bang on half way, so would only mean one charge stop is needed. But the Porsche phone app route planner refuses to acknowledge it exists.

Has anyone found this happens to them?

(And has anyone used Solstice Park Services??)
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have never been close to the place, but MyPorsche app will show the charging station if you zoom in all the way.

However Gridserve is not part of the Porsche Charging service, so it will not show up as a charging stations there. Gridserve will take ordinary credit card payment.

Just find the address and look for it that way.
Porsche Taycan App route planner - charge stations not showing IMG_1472

OP
OP
Murph7355

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have never been close to the place, but MyPorsche app will show the charging station if you zoom in all the way.

However Gridserve is not part of the Porsche Charging service, so it will not show up as a charging stations there. Gridserve will take ordinary credit card payment.

Just find the address and look for it that way.
IMG_1472.png
Thanks - I was looking with the satellite layer on and it's not shown with that.

I had thought the route planner could show all charge points - or rather the one in the car could toggle only showing Porsche Charging Service.

Will take a look tomorrow 🙂

(May be a bit tight as the distance from where I am is 174 miles and don't want to take risks with the family on board. May splash and dash earlier to guarantee getting there, and see how far out I would have been).

Matt W

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Hi Andy, I may have seen you in Newquay and/ in Watergate Bay on Tuesday as I recall seeing what looks to be your car. I had a similar issue so used ABRP to plan the journey (similar distance as you). Originally the Solstice GridServe did not show up using the PCM so I just forced the postcode (accepting no pre warming) but on the day we travelled it had appeared as ‘Gridserve’ and did pre warm. Not sure if the google search has more features for hunting charging spots and then somehow it updates the Porsche PCM. Solstice services was good, so worth a try on the way back.

i saved a few options into my favourites so always had a backup if one stop did not work out.

Car has been amazing all week, coping well with some dodgy B roads (tracks..) and charging throughout has been easy and painless. The weather though, not so good…

Porsche Taycan App route planner - charge stations not showing IMG_2693

jonjon808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
(And has anyone used Solstice Park Services??)
Yep. Used Solstice a few times now and always good. Depending on your preference, you could always head up the M5 a little further and come off at Taunton to then cut across east via Solstice Park. That way you can use Ionity at Cullompton as an interim

matrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Lot's of charging stations missing in Porsche app/car unfortunately. Also highly recommend using ChargeFinder app to find all options. Zap map is not very updated either after my comparisons. ChargeFinder show you realtime info for almost every charging stations and have som powerful filters. You can also see live status for all open Tesla Superchargers. I use ChargeFinder via CarPlay to see the options along my route and send the charging locations to Waze for navigation. Or use the built in Nav also to pre-heat.
https://chargefinder.com

Last edited:

Dave Birch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s cross turismo
Country flag
Solstice is really good. Right next to Greggs. Always manage to get a space there to charge. By the way we have 12 InstaVolt chargers at Bodmin and Ionity are building some in Bodmin too , both next to McDonalds. The Lifton superchargers just off the A30 between Bodmin and Exeter are great too - open for any car!

OP
OP
Murph7355

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Andy, I may have seen you in Newquay and/ in Watergate Bay on Tuesday as I recall seeing what looks to be your car. I had a similar issue so used ABRP to plan the journey (similar distance as you). Originally the Solstice GridServe did not show up using the PCM so I just forced the postcode (accepting no pre warming) but on the day we travelled it had appeared as ‘Gridserve’ and did pre warm. Not sure if the google search has more features for hunting charging spots and then somehow it updates the Porsche PCM. Solstice services was good, so worth a try on the way back.

i saved a few options into my favourites so always had a backup if one stop did not work out.

Car has been amazing all week, coping well with some dodgy B roads (tracks..) and charging throughout has been easy and painless. The weather though, not so good…
Set off before being able to post...

Yup, that was me :) We were staying at the hotel, but also had a couple of errands to run in Newquay. Only down there for a few days unfortunately.

I was admiring your car after I'd plugged mine in. Looks lovely.

Wasn't overly enamoured with the tight entrance/exit in the car park, but the 7kW chargers worked well enough.

Solstice worked well too. Had to wait a few minutes for a charger to come free, but once done it all worked as expected. Traffic getting there, on the other hand, was a different matter! 8hr drive in total - should have been 6hrs. Will use Cullompton next time to get the Ionity rates now I know the car will cover the distances.

Will post separately on the trip.

Thanks to Dave, Jon and Matrix too - will check out ChargeFinder.

DSB

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Defender 2013
Country flag
Very slightly off topic but anyway - Just tried planning a route as most of the journeys I do I know the way and are relatively short. I used to travel the UK a lot with my job, so know my way around, but when i use the Porsche app planner it doesn't give me a choice of routes? I set up the charge requirements and it has provided a stop off, so that has worked, but it is definitely not the best route that is given. Is this normal or am I missing a setting?

OP
OP
Murph7355

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very slightly off topic but anyway - Just tried planning a route as most of the journeys I do I know the way and are relatively short. I used to travel the UK a lot with my job, so know my way around, but when i use the Porsche app planner it doesn't give me a choice of routes? I set up the charge requirements and it has provided a stop off, so that has worked, but it is definitely not the best route that is given. Is this normal or am I missing a setting?
Normal IME.

If I want a particular charger, I search for it and add as a stop over... For the trip that started this, this then gave me a new route and binned the original charge stop(s).

More software work needed by Porsche (or poach the ChargeFinder/Zapp Map people 😁).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
What route will Google maps or Waze give you? The Porsche app is not the best for planning a route, but it does a decent job in the car with chargers. At least for me travelling along major motorways.

Out in the country side it is not the best but adequate!

DSB

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Defender 2013
Country flag
What route will Google maps or Waze give you? The Porsche app is not the best for planning a route, but it does a decent job in the car with chargers. At least for me travelling along major motorways.

Out in the country side it is not the best but adequate!
Thanks for the replies; it was more about the Porsche app/routing capability, and it looks like its not the best. I have zapmap etc so won't have any issues, but wanted to try to get the best out of the inbuilt kit.
Sponsored