Best Practices for Charging?

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just got off the phone with a service tech at my local Porsche dealer on this issue. I took delivery of a 2021 Taycan 4S a week ago.

His understanding is that you can follow any charging strategy you want so long as you keep the maximum charge level at 85% most of the time, with exceptions for long distance travel charging to 100%.

Set a Charging Profile for "minimum charge " (actually a maximum charge level if you have no other Profiles) of 85%. Run the car as many days as you like then recharge back to 85% when desired, or, plug it in every day to top it off at 85%.

The service tech shared my (our) frustration that there is no guidance from Porsche on this issue other than the 85% max charging as a preference if you aren't intending long trips.

This video is helpful:

Sponsored

yidarmy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
do you guys think it's OK to charge 1 to 2 times a week to 100%? That's what I've been doing for the last 3 months of ownership.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
But it also says to charge the car to 50%. Why charge to 50% only to charge to 85%? Instructions unclear... I ended up charging my car to 135%.
I have the same question. It doesn't make sense to charge to 50% first then change to 85% for long term storage. Makes me a little concerned that something was lost in translation from German to English.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
What about the Pizza delivery market for this car?? I see some major problems with people plugging in after returning from each delivery...

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
do you guys think it's OK to charge 1 to 2 times a week to 100%? That's what I've been doing for the last 3 months of ownership.
All my reading suggests that we stick with max 85% charge unless more miles are needed for a road trip. Suggest you search for "ev battery degradation" information.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
double clicking on Porsche's warranty:

100,000 miles at 250 miles per charge = 400 charge cycles
8 years * 365 days a year = 2920 charge cycles

Porsche has most likely crunched the numbers and has chosen conservative estimates - these numbers mean they believe something like 95% or more of their battles can handle at least 3000 partial charge/discharge cycles, and at least 400 full charge/discharge cycles

based on this reverse engineering - I'm going humbling suggest Porsche expects their batteries in combination with their BMS to easily handle 1500 to 5000 charge cycles…and keep in mind we are also not talking about actual failure after these numbers are reached rather we are talking about the battery capacity being degraded by some percentage after this number of charge cycles…

I'm remain un convinced that I need to worry about the battery in most EV's if they are well designed and managed.

I would anticipate 250,000 to 300,000 miles easy on the Taycan battery - that will be 7-10 years from now - and then if it's really really bad - you can spend $40,000 and get a new fresh battery (probably more capacity and better chemistry) - and the rest of the vehicle is good to go - 40,000 for a 300,000 mile service to full rehabilitate the Taycan isn't that bad when you consider it's in line with cost of a full engine/transmission replacement for any equivalent porsche…
With the price of batteries tumbling I suspect it will be a lot cheaper to replace.

I'd worry that the tech will be obsolete in 7 years time unless there is scope to switch to the then current battery tech (solid state, others).

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
no, you shouldn't be charging to 100% if you do not plan on immediately setting off on a drive. from what I've read porsche recommends charging to no more than 85% if the car will be sitting.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
"OK" is relevant. If you have a two year lease, charge away - any problems you create will be for the leasing company or next buyer of the car. It's unlikely the capacity loss from charging to 100% 2-3 times per week would manifest before you give back the car. If you are less selfish, or plan to keep the car longer, follow Porsche's instructions and just charge to 85% except when you plan to take a trip.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
Question.........
is it beneficial to have a warmer (optimized) battery when I start driving each day to maximize range and efficiency?
if so, does setting the departure timer automatically warm the battery to the optimal temperature?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not in my experience.

Battery warming if needed kicks in with PCM navigation to a charger (could be your home location). Battery is preconditioned (warmed / optimised) in readiness for charging at that destination.

Departure timer can be preset to preheat or cool the car and not the battery - you have no control over that.

Range is better managed by not using AC and / or heating but temper this with the actual increase in range gained given all other factors at play.

Range mode is your friend and can be further tuned to enable Eco Plus mode for the AC.

I’m not an expert here but so far that’s my experience.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess what I’m trying to figure out is if:
1) range is optimized by a warm battery vs starting the day cold
2) setting a departure timer will warm the battery sufficiently

Not in my experience.

Battery warming if needed kicks in with PCM navigation to a charger (could be your home location). Battery is preconditioned (warmed / optimised) in readiness for charging at that destination.

Departure timer can be preset to preheat or cool the car and not the battery - you have no control over that.

Range is better managed by not using AC and / or heating but temper this with the actual increase in range gained given all other factors at play.

Range mode is your friend and can be further tuned to enable Eco Plus mode for the AC.

I’m not an expert here but so far that’s my experience.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
from what I've seen on all the charging videos on youtube it appears that the porsche battery likes to be "toasty" for faster charging.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand all the processes for optimal charging
What I’m trying to understand is......is it possible to warm the battery with a timer set @ home to start the day and is it beneficial starting the day with a warm battery vs cold battery

from what I've seen on all the charging videos on youtube it appears that the porsche battery likes to be "toasty" for faster charging.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Provided your car is plugged into a charger and you have a departure timer set with pre-condition enabled on that departure timer, you will get some battery pre-heating and that will result in more efficient use of the battery while you are driving.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@NC_Taycan
When you mention pre-condition, is that the option for choosing interior temp?
Not sure how that would affect whether the battery warms or not or maybe I’m missing something?

Provided your car is plugged into a charger and you have a departure timer set with pre-condition enabled on that departure timer, you will get some battery pre-heating and that will result in more efficient use of the battery while you are driving.
Sponsored