Check Your Tires!

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Thanks. I understand suspension theory, but having a geometric change to camber based on ride height is not dialed in or precise.
That is actually the premise of a double wishbone suspension.

You could achieve what you want with a McPherson strut and have no camber gain and all the disadvantages that go along with that…
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
That is actually the premise of a double wishbone suspension.

You could achieve what you want with a McPherson strut and have no camber gain and all the disadvantages that go along with that…
Obviously I’m talking about the figures posted for the Taycan suspension. If accurate, that is far from ideal. I’m a little surprised that anyone would think I’m making a controversial statement.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
With us being on longer service schedules than ICE, it's easy to overlook issues that a service advisor would have caught. For example, I left the house this morning and got a low tire warning. The pressure dropped visibly before my eyes so I turned around and got it into the garage safely.

I had no idea the tires were this worn at ~10500 miles.

I'll have to call roadside assistance for this one. :(

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 8.13.48 AM.png
Scheduled maintenance doesn't always help. When I had my 911 I wore through the tires in ~6 months maybe 6,000 miles. I mean all the way through - tire blowout at 90mph (not as scary as it sounds btw, felt like rough road). I never tracked that car, it was just spirited commuting and weekend driving. The roadside assistance pointed out to me that I have no tread left on the remaining tires (the one that blew was lost during the blowout). Lucky it was Northern California and winter (i.e. rain) hasn't hit yet or would have learned what bald tires feel in the rain).

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
My results from 20" continentals:

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 8.47.14 PM.png
They all look illegal (UK anyway) given the wear on the insides, even the RR. Your FL for example says 2.1mm (I guess this is in the groove?) , but i reckon the police here would call that 0, or well past 0. Maybe required depth of 75% of tyre would save it. Dunno.

Certainly done an awful lot better than the Derek's though!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
while not exactly on topic

here's a PSA regarding tires

now that a cold front has blanketed the eastern US you should check your tire pressures because your tires have probably lost a few pounds of pressure due to the colder temps

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
My results from 20" continentals:

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 8.47.14 PM.png
This is indeed a great thread and your pics are a great example of camber variation on tread life. I have about 8K miles on my summer tires and when I switched wheels/tires to winter mode today my wheel guy (not a Porsche mechanic but an excellent wheel guy nevertheless) pointed out the extreme wear on the inner tread. He noted, without even taking a measurement, that the car had well over 2 degrees of negative camber. Oh how I wish I had known that allowing my inner child to drive around like a stud at the lowest possible ride height was just chewing up my inner tread.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
This is indeed a great thread and your pics are a great example of camber variation on tread life. I have about 8K miles on my summer tires and when I switched wheels/tires to winter mode today my wheel guy (not a Porsche mechanic but an excellent wheel guy nevertheless) pointed out the extreme wear on the inner tread. He noted, without even taking a measurement, that the car had well over 2 degrees of negative camber. Oh how I wish I had known that allowing my inner child to drive around like a stud at the lowest possible ride height was just chewing up my inner tread.
Don’t be so sure it’s camber. My service guy said it’s the tire using different compounds on the inner treads.

I replaced with PS4S without doing an alignment, and the new tires are wearing evenly.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Don’t be so sure it’s camber. My service guy said it’s the tire using different compounds on the inner treads.

I replaced with PS4S without doing an alignment, and the new tires are wearing evenly.

I did a little research last night -- because I was so pissed that I was burning through rubber so quickly -- and came to another conclusion: I might simply not be driving aggressively enough for the amount of negative camber when in the lowest ride height setting. My typical use case was lowering the chassis for maximum aerodynamics and hitting the highway at 75-80 mph, all straight line stuff. Heavy duty negative camber, it would seem, is important for high speed corning and actually spreads forces evenly across the treads, whereas with neutral camber the high speed cornering forces get concentrated on the outside edge of the tires. Going forward, I'll have to raise ride height on the highway straight-aways and sacrifice a little on the aerodynamic front (electricity is much cheaper than rubber) and then take all corners at significantly higher speeds. I might get a little chirping from the passengers getting tossed around but it is a sacrifice that they will have to make! By the way, how is the comfort and noise level with PS4S? It won't be long before I need some new summer rubber and need a good recommendation.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
By the way, how is the comfort and noise level with PS4S? It won't be long before I need some new summer rubber and need a good recommendation.
I couldn’t be happier with them. Noise, grip, wet performance, longevity...all great!

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
Occupational hazard! I'm fine with that. I did not expect them to wear this quickly though. I thought these Contis favored tread life over stickiness, because they are as hell are not sticky!

Another complaint with these tires, they are downright dangerous in the wet. I hydroplaned in a terrifying way on the highway my first rainstorm.

I need PS4S to come in 21". Best tires ever.
I concur. I drive these PS4s on my heavily tuned RS5 B9 and they are a dream. I won't expect less on a Taycan. They stick beautifully.
Waiting for the Taycan 4sCT myself. Today SA said 12 December delivery. Fingers crossed. Slipped from 21st November to 28th November to 14 December and back to 12 December 2022 that is :)
Sponsored