Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Fair enough. Is the delay due to parts? Or waiting for someone who knows how to do the job?

I hope they at least put you in a Macan loaner.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Fair enough. Is the delay due to parts? Or waiting for someone who knows how to do the job?

I hope they at least put you in a Macan loaner.
Well the initial delay was getting insurance to look at the car and come to an agreement with the shop, which took over two weeks (and they didn't come through 100%.)

I actually was expecting my car to be repaired this week; I pinged Friday to get status and they said the parts have arrived and the disassembly will begin on Monday. (!!!)

I'm really sick of not having a car, it's been three weeks now, and I could have been driving it this whole time.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I could have been driving it this whole time.
I learned long ago to make extra effort to try not to leave the car with anyone if it's drivable. Insurance repairs take forever. The delays stem for waiting for estimates, arguing over coverage, assigning fault, coordinating between insurance companies, waiting for parts, waiting for slot in the shop, etc, etc. It seems to have gotten worse in the last few years. :(

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag
A tiny idiotic rock chip has turned into an absolute nightmare.

I took a rock chip coming back from Porsche Palooza '23 - my dealer told me it would be over 11K to repair so I said screw it, I'll live with the star.

A month or two ago, the star spread into a full blown crack. My insurance company has only paid for a fraction of the repair and (so far) has refused to adjudicate the remainder of the claim (which is now 14K!)

My insurance company sucks, but honestly this is straight stupid. There is no planet where it should cost this much to replace a piece of glass.

Meanwhile my car has been in the shop for two weeks and hasn't even been looked at.

The whole thing has me so sour on Taycan in general, my insurance company, and the world.
IMG_1935.jpeg
Is this the standard glass or the panoramic roof option that changes transparency? I know Tesla's have the same big glass roof panels but not sure what the cost it to replace one. I wouldn't expect the cost to replace the standard glass roof panel by Safelite would be more than $1000 since they won't use a Porsche part they will use the same glass supplier they use for all their windshields & roofs. I'm going to check with Safelite to see what they charge to replace my 22 Taycan roof panel just to make sure it's not crazy like $14K which my insurance glass coverage would not cover more than once without raising my premium.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Is this the standard glass or the panoramic roof option that changes transparency? I know Tesla's have the same big glass roof panels but not sure what the cost it to replace one. I wouldn't expect the cost to replace the standard glass roof panel by Safelite would be more than $1000 since they won't use a Porsche part they will use the same glass supplier they use for all their windshields & roofs. I'm going to check with Safelite to see what they charge to replace my 22 Taycan roof panel just to make sure it's not crazy like $14K which my insurance glass coverage would not cover more than once without raising my premium.
Standard boring non-active glass!

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag
I just checked if Safelite replaces roof glass and they don't at this time so the only option is the dealer.
WOW! I better go to church more often and pray because no matter how good I think The Hartford Insurance is I can't imagine them not raising my premiums big time if I ask them to pay a $14K bill for my glass roof.
I probably would try to use Safelite to repair a stone chip after it immediately happens to stop a crack in it's tracks which my insurance would cover 100% to keep it from turning into a $14K replacement. Sorry for your unfortunate bad luck...

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 C8 Z06, 2024 iX M60
Country flag
Sorry for all of you who have experienced or now experiencing the dreaded roof cracked glass. I am wondering (coming from the car business), if as every OEM scrutinies warranty repair costs and often makes ”behind the scenes, but never announced” minor upgrades to reduce future warranty claims), if there is a J1.2, 2025 upgrade that would reduce roof glass cracking in the future.

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Mate what a saga. Must be incredibly frustrating. Hope you are close to getting your car back.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Mate what a saga. Must be incredibly frustrating. Hope you are close to getting your car back.
Thanks - maybe this week. But apparently nothing has been done yet in the three weeks it has been sitting there. Grr.

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
@DerekS any news mate, is your saga over and are you back driving? If so happy with the repair?

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Week five without the car has begun. They assure me the work is started, though.
I have been following this and man sorry to hear about this mess. Did you get a loaner at least?

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
My sympathy to you Derek. However, this does make me happy I don't like roof glass and removed it from my configuration. I shudder to think what the cost would have been for the new active glass panoramic roof.
Sponsored