DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My sympathy to you Derek. However, this does make me happy I don't like roof glass and removed it from my configuration. I shudder to think what the cost would have been for the new active glass panoramic roof.
IMO it's a very stupid option and I've had it damaged on 2 of 2 cars.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My sympathy to you Derek. However, this does make me happy I don't like roof glass and removed it from my configuration. I shudder to think what the cost would have been for the new active glass panoramic roof.
IIRC glass roof was mandatory for all CT/ST in the USA. I wish they had the carbon fiber roof option that eTron GT has.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
IIRC glass roof was mandatory for all CT/ST in the USA. I wish they had the carbon fiber roof option that eTron GT has.
On my 4S it came with the premium package. I was able to remove it by deselecting the Premium package then retaining everything except the panoramic roof. That would have been a no-go for me if I couldn't have removed the glass roof. I really really don't like them ;)

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
You guys aren't going to believe this...

I just heard from insurance, who is sending me an additional payment...because in addition to the top glass and windshield being replaced, removing the top glass somehow broke the back glass too.

W.T.F. PORSCHE.

Glass breaks. It often needs to be replaced.
Why is the car built in this idiotic way that ONE TINY ROCK CHIP causes destruction of the ENTIRE EFFING CAR?

Folks, do NOT crack your panoramic roof.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

I just heard from insurance, who is sending me an additional payment...because in addition to the top glass and windshield being replaced, removing the top glass somehow broke the back glass too.

W.T.F. PORSCHE.

Why is the car built in this idiotic way that ONE TINY ROCK CHIP causes destruction of the ENTIRE EFFING CAR?

My kid's Corolla is getting a dent fixed in a metal roof - in the shop now. Dent cannot be just pounded out, so they are replacing the metal roof layer. The shop estimate included a new windshield and rear glass (it's a sedan) - they told me 50:50 chance of cracking the front and rear glass when replacing the (metal) roof. So apparently, this is not unique to Porsche.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My kid's Corolla is getting a dent fixed in a metal roof - in the shop now. Dent cannot be just pounded out, so they are replacing the metal roof layer. The shop estimate included a new windshield and rear glass (it's a sedan) - they told me 50:50 chance of cracking the front and rear glass when replacing the (metal) roof. So apparently, this is not unique to Porsche.
I guess that makes me a tiny bit less angry.

Sace

First Name
Anders
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Tourismo
Country flag

W.T.F. PORSCHE.

Incredible - But wouldn't that be a thing Porsche should cover? I mean if they destroy something while working on your car they should fix it?

I'm happy I didn't opt for the panoramic roof. Honestly I'm too short to really notice it anyways so have always avoided it when buying cars.

Fingers crossed that you get your car back soon.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
However, this does make me happy I don't like roof glass
Sorry but me too.
I dislike glass roofs so didn’t spec it on mine - it is extra here in the UK. The ally roof looks better, is lighter and unlikely to crack so all round better for me.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Sorry but me too.
I dislike glass roofs so didn’t spec it on mine - it is extra here in the UK. The ally roof looks better, is lighter and unlikely to crack so all round better for me.
In retrospect I wouldn't have bothered with it either.
No kids and you don't really notice it in the front.

I wish I'd spent the money on brightening up the interior instead - BUT, I listened to my wife who really wanted the pano roof and a black interior. 😔

I must remember to stick my oar in when we are discussing what colour scatter cushions to get for the bed next time. Or which Birthday Cards to buy.
😄

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Recovering from losing my shit yesterday…

Apparently the car is done and I can pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully the end of a painful saga, and I don’t pick up another chip driving to California at the end of the month.

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
@DerekS what a saga. No glass roof for me simply because there’s not a lot left on top of the head anymore and I just don’t like the noggin in the Aussie sun even with insulated glass in between. Chips to the front of the car and windows are a fact of life here especially outside the cities, so one less risk to worry about with my metal roof.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Whew. Got it back!

It actually looks really good. I've got no complaints with the repair.
The total bill was $16200, of which insurance covered about 78%.

I ended up paying my 2K deductible plus another $1452, which I can live with.

The car looks great and I'm very happy to have it back.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Why the extra? Sounds an odd amount.

Have you considered covering the roof in film?

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
Whew. Got it back!

It actually looks really good. I've got no complaints with the repair.
The total bill was $16200, of which insurance covered about 78%.

I ended up paying my 2K deductible plus another $1452, which I can live with.

The car looks great and I'm very happy to have it back.
Nice!

Hope you are more lucky now. Another rock chip can hit the roof tomorrow. Or next week. Or in 5 years from now..
Sponsored