Do you need a Special Lift for Tire Change?

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
I am about ready for new tires (22K miles) and someone told me that EV's require a special lift and I need to take it to the dealer for the tire change. I would rather use my local tire store as they are cheaper and I have many years experience with them.

I am assuming they will have the proper equipment. Please advise.

Buck
Sponsored

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
Changed wheels winter to summer twice on my drive. Just a normal hydraulic jack. For the second time I got a special Taycan jack pad , but I think tyre places have huge jacks that they put somewhere else

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
I am about ready for new tires (22K miles) and someone told me that EV's require a special lift and I need to take it to the dealer for the tire change. I would rather use my local tire store as they are cheaper and I have many years experience with them.

Buck
I recommend you buy at least one of these Taycan specific jack pads. I bought 4 as my fitter has a 4 arm lift.

Porsche Taycan Do you need a Special Lift for Tire Change? IMG_0707

And these wheel hangers are essential if you have carbon ceramic brakes.

Porsche Taycan Do you need a Special Lift for Tire Change? IMG_0708

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
No special lift is needed. Check the manual for the jack points. If you have the air suspension put it in jack mode.

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
I recommend you buy at least one of these Taycan specific jack pads. I bought 4 as my fitter has a 4 arm lift.

IMG_0707.jpeg

And these wheel hangers are essential if you have carbon ceramic brakes.

IMG_0708.jpeg
Yeah I bought the hangers for my second changeover- the first was a bit of nightmare trying to match a huge wheel with holes (my brakes are PSCB)

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag

Buck
If I was having a local tire store do the work, I'd show up with four of the Taycan specific jack pads, and at least two of the standard Porsche wheel hanger studs and insist that they use them. I'd also teach them how to put the car in jack mode and insist that they do so. Bad things might not happen if they did it "their way" but why take a chance?
Sponsored

Last edited: