Dreaded Red Electrical System Error & Poll

What Taycan model year and battery capacity have you had your car battery replaced?

• Total voters

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My 2020 4S just went in last week, April 24th. 20k miles. I tried to start the car in the morning on got the red error. They diagnosed it and they said the E-box needs to be replaced. They said the battery cells look okay. Parts are supposed to arrive this week, but they don't have a tech to do the install as there are 2 Taycans in front of mine. The advisor said to expect 3-4 weeks.
A year ago, Porsche issued a TSB which indicated that E-box should not be replaced by itself, it should be replaced with the HV battery. You may want to ask your dealer about the TSB.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10233932-0001.pdf

Photo of E-box: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/wont-start.15674/page-2#post-243315
Sponsored

sun

First Name
Sun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
A year ago, Porsche issued a TSB which indicated that E-box should not be replaced by itself, it should be replaced with the HV battery. You may want to ask your dealer about the TSB.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10233932-0001.pdf

Photo of E-box: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/wont-start.15674/page-2#post-243315
Thank you! I just send this over to my service advisor. I'd like to avoid having them replace just the e-box and then have to have the battery changed soon after. I'm already going to be without my car for 3-4 weeks.

sun

First Name
Sun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you! I just send this over to my service advisor. I'd like to avoid having them replace just the e-box and then have to have the battery changed soon after. I'm already going to be without my car for 3-4 weeks.
The service advisor responded that the Tech said Porsche is giving them instructions to only replace the e-box. It seems as though it's a bit risky based on the guidance from the PDF, but there isn't much else I can do here.

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
Wondering if anyone else had to wait for a "battery cover " to be custom made? Apparently they're waiting on this part now, but the cells are in. How ridiculous, they don't have that part already in stock? After that, they have to book the ONE guy which they said may take another 1-2 weeks.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The service advisor responded that the Tech said Porsche is giving them instructions to only replace the e-box. It seems as though it's a bit risky based on the guidance from the PDF, but there isn't much else I can do here.
The E-box has a removable module/circuit board/ecu. Another owner on the forum did have that module replaced to remedy HV battery problem. Maybe the module on the E-box is what they plan to replace.

Reactions: sun

Buckeye

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well after 3 months to the day my Taycan Turbo is back. They replaced three cells. I pushed for new battery but was told they have no concerns once these three batteries are replaced. Fingers crossed

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
For those that have had modules replaced that were experiencing a range drop, how long did it take for your range estimator to balance out? Ours is still showing significantly reduced range but hasn’t been but a week or so.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Mine showed 280 when I got it back from the dealer. It’s back down to 220 now

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Mine is about the same. It showed a substantial increase in range in the beginning, but now 6 8 months later, is back at the same range as before the problem.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
280? Miles? 🫠 Mine sat around 205ish miles at 85% before the issues happened, and it’s currently sitting at 185 miles after the cell module replacement. 4S CT

ETA: the 20 miles makes a difference - many of the hill country drives out here in fast charging wasteland are around 230ish miles so having some buffer is the difference between me enjoying the car or it sitting on the weekends

OP
OP
PNWTaycan4S

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
280? Miles? 🫠 Mine sat around 205ish miles at 85% before the issues happened, and it’s currently sitting at 185 miles after the cell module replacement. 4S CT

ETA: the 20 miles makes a difference - many of the hill country drives out here in fast charging wasteland are around 230ish miles so having some buffer is the difference between me enjoying the car or it sitting on the weekends
My 4S Performance showed 275 after the new battery and now, in range mode in a warm May, shows 252.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
My 4S Performance showed 275 after the new battery and now, in range mode in a warm May, shows 252.
At 100%?
Sponsored