EA - how often is free charging working for you?

OP
OP
trexarms

trexarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 GTS ST
Country flag
Tell the other owners to switch to plug-and-charge. All but oldest (2020?) Taycans have this capability (2020 requires an expensive charger upgrade to get it). I've had 100% success using PnC at any functional EA port, one time had to re-plug-in to get it to work (the first time something timed out IIRC).
I already have - shortly before I took the pic. :)

The wifemobile requires a software update to activate PnC, will get that done and cut her over to it as well. Nice to know that there’s not an actual requirement for client-server-client roundtrip communication to unlock a charge.
Sponsored

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
I am at 95% when the charger is working about 50% of the time.
A simple call to EA will get you a refund where you had to pay for it. Be sure to grab a screenshot of the charger and time charged.

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
I’ve tried 4 times at Fry’s 150 chrager. Succeeded once. Do the 350 chargers on the US interstate work more reliably?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've never had a complete EA failure, or a need to pay for an EA charge.

I have had downperforming EA stations, blocked 350kW units, and congestion causing me to wait for my turn.

But so far, never been left high and dry.

EHA48

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 CT 4
Country flag
Call Porsche service. There is someone dedicated to this issue. They can get your car information and make sure it will hook up with the chargers. A bit of a hassle but ultimately, this worked for me.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I got to try this at the 350kW plug in Auburn, CA earlier. Worked perfectly, without a stitch of waiting or ”timeouts” forcing an unplug, re-plug and twiddling of the app.
Glad you're up and running. I downloaded the EA app for my phone because it seems more accurate about real-time status of the chargers than Porsche, but I never set up an EA account, always using plug and charge through the saved Porsche info.

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
FWIW, Porsche Support told me that MY 2020 does support plug and charge and the option in the PCM doesn’t exist but isn’t needed. Couldn't test at one EA location because it wasn’t a P&C site and the other one was but had 3 dead stations and I couldn’t wait any longer to test.

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Go to EA. Plug in. Don’t use any apps. Just plug in the charger.

It’ll take a minute or two to start. 100% success rate for me.
Exactly this ⬆.
Has worked 100% of the time.

VA_CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan, 2022 4CT
Country flag
Worked everytime I have used. Note that I have used EA chargers less than 6 times over my 3 year ownership.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW, Porsche Support told me that MY 2020 does support plug and charge and the option in the PCM doesn’t exist but isn’t needed. Couldn't test at one EA location because it wasn’t a P&C site and the other one was but had 3 dead stations and I couldn’t wait any longer to test.
Most reliable info I have read, including documents from Porsche, say Plug & Charge did not start for Taycans until 2021 model year Taycans.

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GLC AMG43, 2024 Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Subject says it all. Responses appreciated.

For context, I’ve had my GTS ST for a month. I’d conservatively say every third to fourth attempt at using the My Porsche app to request a free charge at an EA station works. My wife has a BMW iX and has experienced worse with her entitlement to free charging - which is similarly activated in-app via My BMW. The stations in question are all in Northern California.

She’s hypothesized that “if only I tapped my phone with a credit card, it’d work.” Of course, she’s just a little too frugal to have tested her hypothesis. I don’t have that boundary, and tapped my phone after four attempts at activating an EA charger earlier today. Surprise-surprise, it fired right up.

What’s the general experience amongst this group?
My success has been 2 for 3. Not a fan of the brand (EA). One thing I don’t like is the machines have 2 cables coming out of them, but only 1 can be used, at least the locations I’ve used. If only 1 is usable, why have 2?

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
My success has been 2 for 3. Not a fan of the brand (EA). One thing I don’t like is the machines have 2 cables coming out of them, but only 1 can be used, at least the locations I’ve used. If only 1 is usable, why have 2?
Seems to be vestigial from being equipped with plugs for both CCS1 and CHAdeMO.
The EA website justifies it for convenience if one cable is closer to your car than the other. But on many EA chargers, the attachment points for the two cables are only a few inches away from each other.
Then again, sometimes one cable/plug will be broken yet not the other, so the redundancy serves a purpose given the inherent unreliability of all aspects of EA.

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
Most reliable info I have read, including documents from Porsche, say Plug & Charge did not start for Taycans until 2021 model year Taycans.
While this "might" be true, I just got off another call with Porsche Support, and they claim the 2020 Taycan does support Plug and Charge even though there is no option on the PCM. She double-checked my VIN and account and confirmed that I have all the necessary subscriptions, and it should work.

However, she mentioned that there have been issues with Plug and Charge across the network, and that may have been my issue. Please try again and call from the charging station if you have any more problems.

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
While this "might" be true, I just got off another call with Porsche Support, and they claim the 2020 Taycan does support Plug and Charge even though there is no option on the PCM. She double-checked my VIN and account and confirmed that I have all the necessary subscriptions, and it should work.

However, she mentioned that there have been issues with Plug and Charge across the network, and that may have been my issue. Please try again and call from the charging station if you have any more problems.
OK, just got an update from support via email.

“Your 2020 Taycan Turbo S does not have the Plug and Charge feature, Remote lock and unlock feature, nor WIFI.”
Sponsored