Kyle Conner goes 311 miles in '25 Taycan 70mph range test

JK2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yeah, there are lots of people who are clueless when it comes to charging. Unfortunately, many of them drive a car with a max charge speed of 50kW. This is why I tend to road trip on weekdays, so it improves my odds of not going all crazy and yelling at someone charging a Chevy Bolt at a 350kW dispenser or someone tying up a charger since they are trying to charge to 100%.

This is why Taycan V2 is looking more and more attractive. Faster charging speeds equals less time at chargers , so less clueless people to contend with.
Don't you only have to contend with the clueless people before you charge? Faster charging once you are connected doesn't seem to resolve that.

Less charging stops due to a larger charging capacity or better efficiency would be what you are looking for it seems.
Sponsored

JK2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
yep always pre-conditioned and usually around 10-25% battery level.
Can pre-conditioning only be done by selecting the charging station through the app and sending the destination to your car? I am not paying for PCS so cannot access this feature. Hence cannot pre-condition my battery, I think.

And if I search for charging stations on the car's navigation EA stations never appear.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Checklist for premium experiences during a stop to recharge or refuel:
  1. Parking lot is safe (despite the unsafe personal lifestyles of many patrons).
  2. Bathroom is clean (more or less).
  3. Reasonably healthy and tasty food (e.g., bagels & hummus) available for quick purchase.
I'm calling that premium!
(Even if I never shop at Walmart otherwise ... except for their sunblock that is highly rated by Consumer Reports.)
Fair.

For me, a premium experience is zero waiting for a charger. The current Walmart set-up includes an “ambience” / atmosphere that is less than relaxing.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
^ Agreed: zero wait for an available charger followed a minimum of "handshake" time leading to kW in the mid triple digits. Then I'm happy with trotting off to the Walmart restroom, possibly buying some food, and working on my laptop back in my car. (Unfortunately, for EA, first criterion has a mixed track record, second criterion is usually fine, and third criterion is almost never met.)

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
Can pre-conditioning only be done by selecting the charging station through the app and sending the destination to your car? I am not paying for PCS so cannot access this feature. Hence cannot pre-condition my battery, I think.

And if I search for charging stations on the car's navigation EA stations never appear.
Pre-conditioning can be done by selecting a charger from the menu in the onboard navigation. You shouldn't need PCS for that.

It is odd you can't find EA stations in the onboard navigation. How old is the navigation database you're using?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
that should be 86 to 95 F for ideal temp. to maximize charging speed. see Porsche FAQ - Porsche USA
The car does not charge near peak rate at 86ºF in my experience. Watch your temp gauge next time your battery preconditions itself on the way to a DCFC. It will go up to ~110ºF and settle in there. At that temp I have achieved 260kW+.

iamai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS
Country flag
The car does not charge near peak rate at 86ºF in my experience. Watch your temp gauge next time your battery preconditions itself on the way to a DCFC. It will go up to ~110ºF and settle in there. At that temp I have achieved 260kW+.
You could continue to discredit yourself by spreading that BS that you know better than Porsche FAQ - Porsche USA on what is the optimal temperature for maximum DC charging speeds, or you could book an appointment to have your broken car looked at.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
You could continue to discredit yourself by spreading that BS that you know better than Porsche FAQ - Porsche USA on what is the optimal temperature for maximum DC charging speeds, or you could book an appointment to have your broken car looked at.
I guess my car is also broken then. Better to look at the temp gauge then trying to find the Porsche FAQ that probably is 5 years old,

41C is my normal temp at precondition. (106F??)

Longy_UK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
So in the video he shows the final screen and it says 3.2m/Kwh. I get 2.7m/Kwh on a drive like that in my GTS.

So in relative ICE terms - its like going from a 27mpg car to a 32mpg car!

OMG Amazing....

JK2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Pre-conditioning can be done by selecting a charger from the menu in the onboard navigation. You shouldn't need PCS for that.

It is odd you can't find EA stations in the onboard navigation. How old is the navigation database you're using?
I purchased my car as a CPO in January, and am pretty sure everything was updated at that time. When I search for charging stations a list comes up with every conceivable charging station besides EA stations. Even if I'm sitting at one it won't show up. The only EA stations that do show up are ones in Tennessee, which is where the car was located originally. So perhaps I do need to update the navigation? As I said though, it does locate nearby 3rd party chargers; just not EAs.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
I purchased my car as a CPO in January, and am pretty sure everything was updated at that time. When I search for charging stations a list comes up with every conceivable charging station besides EA stations. Even if I'm sitting at one it won't show up. The only EA stations that do show up are ones in Tennessee, which is where the car was located originally. So perhaps I do need to update the navigation? As I said though, it does locate nearby 3rd party chargers; just not EAs.
Thanks. That’s odd. I don’t recall if there are filters available in the settings, but if not it would be worth having your local dealer look at it whenever you go in for service. Best wishes for a resolution.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
🤣 ok, seems like lots of us have broken cars except for you.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I guess my car is also broken then. Better to look at the temp gauge then trying to find the Porsche FAQ that probably is 5 years old,

41C is my normal temp at precondition. (106F??)
Same in my 22 Taycan 4S.
I have wondered why it preconditions higher than what the charts say, but assume the car knows what it is doing.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Same in my 22 Taycan 4S.
I have wondered why it preconditions higher than what the charts say, but assume the car knows what it is doing.
I am not sure, but if I remember correctly, it happened to my car after that big update in 2022? After the update my car runs at 31 C and heats up to 41 to 42 degrees when navigating to a charger. I think it was only up to 35 C before the big update.
Sponsored

Last edited: