FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2024 -4S , GT3
Country flag
I use this battery tender in the 12V lithium mode, NOCO GENIUS1, when not driving my Taycan. Works great, no issues. While I have not had 12V battery issues, I am also not 100% confident that my Taycan will preserve its 12V battery during long periods of no use, so I take this measure, others will disagree.
I don't disagree with the efficacy of what you are doing at all. However, if your high voltage battery pack can't keep a 12V battery charged, you have far bigger problems to worry about.
Sponsored

D2G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I don't disagree with the efficacy of what you are doing at all. However, if your high voltage battery pack can't keep a 12V battery charged, you have far bigger problems to worry about.
With day to day use of my Taycan I agree with you, but as I wrote previously, my comment was written for the situations where I have long periods of no use of my Taycan. The HV battery is just fine!

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2024 -4S , GT3
Country flag
With day to day use of my Taycan I agree with you, but as I wrote previously, my comment was written for the situations where I have long periods of no use of my Taycan. The HV battery is just fine!
I think you are not aware of how the Taycan maintains the 12V battery. It does not matter how how long your vehicle sits within reason as long as it is left with at least 50% SOC. The HVBP will keep your 12V charged. Perhaps you are identifying with early on 12V battery issues, which were solved some time ago.

D2G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I think you are not aware of how the Taycan maintains the 12V battery. It does not matter how how long your vehicle sits within reason as long as it is left with at least 50% SOC. The HVBP will keep your 12V charged. Perhaps you are identifying with early on 12V battery issues, which were solved some time ago.
Fully aware prior, and also explained in this thread, but many thanks for pointing that out explicitly. 2023 MY Taycan and this setup is working great. Everyone has different thresholds for preventive risk management during long periods of no use.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Well considering all my Porsche 12volt batteries have been near $3000 to replace, I would put it on a tender if I was leaving it for more than a week IMO
is it really $3K? Oh well. Not like the other wear and tear on this car is cheap. I should remind myself to build a Warchest for my first service.

OP
OP

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 CRV, 2020 Highlander, 2023 Taycan 4s incoming
Country flag
Wow, why is this so complicated 🤣. I think I'm leaning towards charging the car to 85%, and having a friend start it up and check the battery after a few weeks. I leave tomorrow so it's too late to order a trickle charger! D'oh!

I kinda wanna see what happens if I just leave it be, not mess with it at all, and log out of the app...

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Has anyone tried leaving their hood unlocked for an extended period of time? I need to leave my car sitting for about 6 weeks. I'm expecting my battery to be totally fine. But just in case, I had this bright (or dumb...) idea to leave the hood unlocked so I have access to the battery in case I need to give it some juice.

Is this a crazy idea??? Anyone try this?
I do this on my 911 Turbo S having been caught with flat battery on previous 21 Targa 4S but the car is locked, alarmed and with a tracker in a very secure CCTV garage .

JoshuaEven

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 GTS
Country flag
I was recently out of town for 4 weeks. Left her with the frunk open (just in case). I checked the charge about three weeks in to the trip, she lost maybe 1%.
The Taycan isn’t a Tesla (my old Model S would lose 3-4% a day!!)
I don’t think there’s any harm at all in leaving the frunk open for peace of mind.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I had my 12v battery go flat after only 3 weeks. I use a Litium Ion CTEK to maintain the battery but this wasn't connected. I had to follow the procedure of providing power to the frunk lock. When I got to the 12v battery it would not accept any charge. I had to get Porsche Breakdown who use a high power jumper and it came to life. So I now always leave the car on the CTEK when left for anything more than 2 weeks and always leave the frunk open. I've also bought a rechargeable battery booster. Don't want to be stranded again.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
I had my 12v battery go flat after only 3 weeks. I use a Litium Ion CTEK to maintain the battery but this wasn't connected. I had to follow the procedure of providing power to the frunk lock. When I got to the 12v battery it would not accept any charge. I had to get Porsche Breakdown who use a high power jumper and it came to life. So I now always leave the car on the CTEK when left for anything more than 2 weeks and always leave the frunk open. I've also bought a rechargeable battery booster. Don't want to be stranded again.
Did you press the reset button for 10 second to start the charging as per manual? I thought that would do the trick without a booster ?

Porsche Taycan Leaving Hood Unlocked While on Vacation IMG_2121

D2G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Trying to reconcile posts like the first two quoted here, with then the user experiences shared from real life quoted last. Would like to understand this more...

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
My car was in a few weeks ago for a software update so asked them to check the 12v battery and they said it was fine.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2024 -4S , GT3
Country flag
Trying to reconcile posts like the first two quoted here, with then the user experiences shared from real life quoted last. Would like to understand this more...
Can't reconcile what we do not know. What was the initial SOC when it was left for 3 weeks? Are there any parasitic camera's or other non OEM options installed that draw from the 12V continuously?
I can't count how many times I left my MY21 for 3,4,6 weeks without issue. Something is drawing current, unless the 12V is not holding a charge. It is one or the other. If the battery is good, then something is draining it.

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Has anyone tried leaving their hood unlocked for an extended period of time? I need to leave my car sitting for about 6 weeks. I'm expecting my battery to be totally fine. But just in case, I had this bright (or dumb...) idea to leave the hood unlocked so I have access to the battery in case I need to give it some juice.

Is this a crazy idea??? Anyone try this?
I did exactly this as I was away for two weeks. Last time was gone 4 weeks and came back to a bricked car. Now I leave the hood popped and purchased a charger. Much better than calling for a flatbed to Porsche.
Sponsored