MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My dealer, Porsche Westwood (MA), just installed two Turbo Chargers and I went down today to try them out. I didn’t need a charge as I was at about 48% SoC and my battery was not warmed up (it was at 69 F), but wanted to check it out. They’re so new that they haven’t registered it with any of the services and the only way to activate charging is to get a card from the dealer. The GM saw me trying to charge and came out to enable my session and we chatted for a bit (if you’re local, the GM is Denis and he’s a great guy). Once hooked it up, I got about 110 kWh — I only hung out for about 15 minutes and charged up 70%. He indicated that charging will be free during business hours and that you can use EA or ChargePoint (he wasn’t sure yet) to activate the Turbo Chargers after hours. I’m very psyched to have this one local — even though I charge at home, having a high-speed charger so close will be great.

Porsche Taycan More Porsche Turbo Chargers Stations appearing at US dealerships 9BEFC58A-E3D1-476A-A11B-926C86DC487F
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this is a great report - one minor nit…

Once hooked it up, I got about 110 kWh
you got 110 kW (kilo-watts) - not 110 kWh (kilo-watt-hours) - 110 kW is a rate of charge - 110 kWh is a capacity (total power energy) - the Taycan's battery is a 93 kWh battery

it's a common oversight and not a big deal - kW is a flow rate - kWh is amount of power-* energy stored/received.

* - thanks to @Jhenson29 for the correction of my correction

Last edited:
OP
OP
MissionC

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
this is a great report - one minor nit…

you got 110 kW (kilo-watts) - not 110 kWh (kilo-watt-hours) - 110 kW is a rate of charge - 110 kWh is a capacity (total power) - the Taycan's battery is a 93 kWh battery

it's a common oversight and not a big deal - kW is a flow rate - kWh is amount of power stored/received.
Just a victim of autocorrect😉

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Minor nit..
it's a common oversight and not a big deal - kW is a flow rate - kWh is amount of power stored/received.
kW is amount of power.
kWh is amount of energy stored/received.
🙂

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Porsche Burlington (Massachusetts) moved into new premises last year and has two of these chargers. AFAIK these are not generally on ChargePoint nor EA, rather a staff member has to facilitate with a card swipe. Makes sense if that creates an opportunity to engage a prospective buyer.

I wonder if there are incentives/obligations for US dealers to install these? Would be a nice way to fill some gaps in the EA network, or an alternative to EA charging locations when all chargers are busy.

OP
OP
MissionC

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche Burlington (Massachusetts) moved into new premises last year and has two of these chargers. AFAIK these are not generally on ChargePoint nor EA, rather a staff member has to facilitate with a card swipe. Makes sense if that creates an opportunity to engage a prospective buyer.

I wonder if there are incentives/obligations for US dealers to install these? Would be a nice way to fill some gaps in the EA network, or an alternative to EA charging locations when all chargers are busy.
I think at the Taycan launch back in 2019 Porsche was touting that the dealers would have these available for customers. The GM told me the price, which I won’t repeat, but it was eye-popping. I believe the dealers are shouldering most of the cost - maybe there’s some back-end incentive program to help them, but it’s a major buildout to get the infrastructure. At least EA has been making progress around here at some Bank of America locations.

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
These are starting to pop up.

Bert Smith Porsche just moved into a new facility last month (now Porsche Clearwater). Two new DCFC installed and several L2 destination type chargers. The GM did have to start the charging session. Hopefully there will be another way to activate these after hours.
Porsche Taycan More Porsche Turbo Chargers Stations appearing at US dealerships chargers 2

Last edited:

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
The dealer should repaint the lines on the parking lot so that the charger cable does not damage the fender. If I stopped at that site I would straddle the line. If the installer owned a Taycan he would have known better. To fix this now will lose one parking spot adjacent to the charger on the left.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
the issue with these chargers at the dealerships is that for the most part they are only available when the dealership is open. they are not on demand.

Deleted member 6348

The dealer should repaint the lines on the parking lot so that the charger cable does not damage the fender. If I stopped at that site I would straddle the line. If the installer owned a Taycan he would have known better. To fix this now will lose one parking spot adjacent to the charger on the left.
Honestly, this is a reason that I am really glad that I did PPF. There are times where the cable just has to touch the front fender and you have no choice.

kev_song

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2018 GT3, 2021 Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Country flag
They are actually planning on redoing the lines.
Sponsored