Questions from a Tesla Owner

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
Over here Tesla stations are almost always empty. It seems a money šŸ’° no brainer to open up as many possible at Ā£0.60 per kwh. Got one round the corner. Kicking myself for not getting the onboard charger but no one can read Elon's mind. Off topic mind.
in US more and more evs are coming to market and are cheaper then then tesla. alot of people want a ev , but cannot afford a tesla. if the open up the chargers people use the chargers as alot of people live in places that do not have or accomdate home chargers. Telsa is in the Sustain momentum stage of a company. they have grown real fast and are now having trouble sustaining that. could be why they are reducing prices here in the states
Sponsored

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
Lol. Have been driving Model S'es for a decade now. My wife got her first Model S 7 years ago. We'd drive our daughter to gymnastics and then dance classes and competitions in our Model S's - she was actually referred to as "Tesla {her_name_here}" by her friends. She has her own car now, so even when I occasionally gave her a ride to work in a Taycan (she had an accident recently, not her fault, according to both the police and the insurance company, not just her dad - though dashcam footage was priceless for proving it), I don't think she'll be called "Taycan {her_name_here"}". My son on the other hand, avoided associated with Tesla or any high end car as much as he could. When he moved out to school and came back for holidays, he refused an offer to borrow one of our Model S to go meet his friends, he convinced his sister instead to lend him her Corolla. It is fascinating to me to watch the kids grow up!
Granted, at our prior (private) school when those doors went up on his friend's mom's Model X back in 2016 or something, it made an impression on all the kids I'm sure. My kids all rode in plenty of Teslas in carpools and stuff and my oldest admitted he wanted an S for the longest time. He hasn't rode in the Taycan yet (at college til next month), so jury's still out there ;).

Oh, and P.S., one of the boys yesterday DID end up shouting, "No man, that's a PORSCHE!" Might pick him up again today... got nowhere else to go šŸ¤£ .

PedroJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Taycan CT 4S ordered
Country flag
Can anyone comment on the rear passenger leg room compared to a Model 3 and/or a Model S?

Any other surprises you noticed after moving from a Tesla?
I use Taycan Cross Turismo for 4 months, and Tesla has just notified delivery of S LR I have ordered 2 years ago. So I was considering coming back to Tesla (as I used TM3P before). Until I visit Tesla and sat inside.

Rear space in Tesla 3 was OK but high floor and low seat is very uncomfortable for adults. And Tesla S was even worse - less legroom than at 3 IMO.
Taycan has no batteries under floor at the rear passanger feet space, so the rear position is good. At sedan roof is too low for tall person, but at Sport/Cross Turismo its ok. Its not spacious car but its ok, and better than many low roof EV.

What I hate at Taycan is it creeps when I release the gas pedal. Why it emulates the traditional automatic gearbox behavior?

Porsche app is terrible. Sometimes connected car :)
Infotainment is not the strongest point of Taycan but I'm happy with CarPlay and Waze more than with Tesla nav. What I miss is I cannot use Waze AND PCM nav at the same time. One or another, as at other cars. And only PCM nav can precondition baterryl for fast charging.

I prefer Active Line Keep against Autopilot. Taycan assistant is average, but it assists the driver. Tesla tries to replace the driver but is not able to do it.

I prefer coasting of Porsche rather than one pedal driving on highway. But old is better in the city.

So why did I consider Tesla again? Good price, much below current prices. And much better range. Taycan is an inefficient car, especially during winter, comparing to Tesla. But the interior quality, driving vs comfort are top notch here.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Beyond that, at Tesla there is a culture of "look what technology can do", rather than "is it wise for technology to do this?" Next thing you know, Teslas are running into parked fire engines, with flashing emergency lights operating. From the top down, that company seems to be staffed with children.
It's more an issue of "strong-willed boss", just as it was with Dieselgate.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Beyond that, at Tesla there is a culture of "look what technology can do", rather than "is it wise for technology to do this?" Next thing you know, Teslas are running into parked fire engines, with flashing emergency lights operating. From the top down, that company seems to be staffed with children.

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Model S 100D, Model 3P
Country flag
America really needs to get it together with public HPC network. In Central/ Northern/ Western Europe, the Tesla Supercharging Network is literally not an advantage at all. Out of all the reliable fast chargers, Iā€˜d say Tesla makes up some 15% here, and for a Taycan, theyā€˜d be too slow to really make the most of itsā€˜ charging speed.

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
I have a Model 3 Dual Motor Performance, a Model S85 RWD and a 2021 Taycan RWD PB+
I have 6 kids and a dog and use all these more or less daily.

The answer is really simple. Of the 3 (even the old Model S), the Taycan is by far the worst EV and worst bang for the buck. The Model 3 drives circles around the Taycan and has vastly more space (nevermind the Model S). If you need to go distances or use this as a family car, you will want a Tesla (or an Ioniq/eTron).

Let me count the ways the Taycan TOTALLY sucks balls:

The software is an embarrassment for a 202x car
The UX looks like it was made by a toddler on a Commodore C64
You are not able to save a profile (eg. keep sound on, keep car in sports mode) and match it to a keyfob. Porsche drivers enjoy the setup every goddamn time they enter their Taycans.
Bluetooth works about as reliably as the Deutsche Bahn
The app let's you do....not much at all.
Whoever designed the charging profile UI has a special place in hell waiting for them
The doorhandle 'touch-close' feature is absolutely insanely stupid and nearly cost my 3-year old his fingers multiple times.
The assistance systems....hold on, let me rephrase that. The ass-is tance systems are basically non ass-existent. (that didn't work nearly as well as I'd hoped šŸ˜‚)
The auto trunk close feature is the bastard son of a midget father and a paranoid mother. Where the Tesla has phantom braking, the Taycan has phantom trunk opening. The thing sees obstacles when the trunk is empty and reopens.
Charging is a nightmare. Especially on Ionity. How many times I had to re-plug, hold cable at an angle, say 3 hail marries and sacrifice a virgin, while standing in the rain to get it started...I won't count.
OTA? Not da.
Got a problem? Go to the dealer.
Dog mode? Hell, no. This is a Porsche. Maybe Golf mode to keep your 1 Wood toasty, but nothing else.
Walk away lock that works? nope.
Casually walk by auto open that won't re-close. Totally.
Netflix, Youtube or Disney+ while charging? Read a damn book!
Need to manouvre into a tight parking? Get ready for jerky-clutch-hell of the 2-speed gearbox.
Need to see where you're going backwards? No problem. This 100.000 Euro car has a high quality 2009 ebay 240p webcam attached to the trunk. And if it's dirty you can even press a button that will turn your very bad picture into a smeared very bad picture.
The frunk holds can hold midsize wallet. After you removed the cash to pay for the Taycan.
Built in charge planing and route planing will make you weep. Literally. When you are routed to that full Ionity charger on the other side of the highway for a one minute charge.
The HUD is useless because you will have to use Apple Car Play to navigate. See above.
Rear leg room? You can have that, if you move the front seats to meet the dashboard.
Oh, also - the car automatically switches off every 30 minutes, because...reasons.
You'll pay extra on a an 80.000 euro plus car for such luxury items as rear passenger airbags and auto-dim rearview mirrors. The gluttony!
And on and on.

That being said....

I just took a 3o00 kilometer roadtrip rom Berlin to Geneva and back with 3 kids AND the dog...and when it came time to choose a ride - all I wanted was to drive the Porsche. Everytime I see it, I have to smile - it is THAT gorgeous. Everytime I drive it, I feel so much closer to Steve McQueen in LeMans, it's THAT much fun too drive (even the ass slow version).

And when I finally arrived in Switzerland after 12 hours and many non-functioning chargers (actually charged mostly at Tesla Superchargers open to 3rd party manufacturers!), I could imagine myself immidiately taking Baymax for another spin around the mountain roads just for the hell of it....

Bottomline: The Taycan is an irrational love affair. And am I in love. I won't give it up ever. EVER!
But my Tessis are by far the better cars by any metric that doesn't involve the heart.

Hope that helped a little.

I appreciate the response. Sorry I sounded like a Tesla fan-boy, but I assure you, I am not a troll. I am a very interested in buying a Taycan, but want to know what to expect.

I searched for rear passenger leg room, but didn't find much.

I know the road trip charging is not as good, just wondering if that difference is enough to create problems or concerns for some Taycan owners.

Finally, I watched a YouTuber that mentioned the latest dealer software update would allow OTA software updates and possibly using a phone a your key. I guess that didn't happen.

OP
OP

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Jeep Wrangler 392
Country flag
I have a Model 3 Dual Motor Performance, a Model S85 RWD and a 2021 Taycan RWD PB+

The answer is really simple. Of the 3 (even the old Model S), the Taycan is by far the worst EV and worst bang for the buck. The Model 3 drives circles around the Taycan and has vastly more space (nevermind the Model S). If you need to go distances or use this as a family car, you will want a Tesla (or an Ioniq/eTron).

You are not able to save a profile (eg. keep sound on, keep car in sports mode) and match it to a keyfob. Porsche drivers enjoy the setup every goddamn time they enter their Taycans.
Whoever designed the charging profile UI has a special place in hell waiting for them
The doorhandle 'touch-close' feature is absolutely insanely stupid and nearly cost my 3-year old his fingers multiple times.
The assistance systems....hold on, let me rephrase that. The ass-is tance systems are basically non ass-existent. (that didn't work nearly as well as I'd hoped šŸ˜‚)
The auto trunk close feature is the bastard son of a midget father and a paranoid mother. Where the Tesla has phantom braking, the Taycan has phantom trunk opening. The thing sees obstacles when the trunk is empty and reopens.
Charging is a nightmare. Especially on Ionity. How many times I had to re-plug, hold cable at an angle, say 3 hail marries and sacrifice a virgin, while standing in the rain to get it started...I won't count.
OTA? Not da.
Dog mode? Hell, no. This is a Porsche. Maybe Golf mode to keep your 1 Wood toasty, but nothing else.
Need to manouvre into a tight parking? Get ready for jerky-clutch-hell of the 2-speed gearbox.
Need to see where you're going backwards? No problem. This 100.000 Euro car has a high quality 2009 ebay 240p webcam attached to the trunk. And if it's dirty you can even press a button that will turn your very bad picture into a smeared very bad picture.
The frunk holds can hold midsize wallet. After you removed the cash to pay for the Taycan.
Built in charge planing and route planing will make you weep. Literally. When you are routed to that full Ionity charger on the other side of the highway for a one minute charge.
The HUD is useless because you will have to use Apple Car Play to navigate. See above.
Rear leg room? You can have that, if you move the front seats to meet the dashboard.
Oh, also - the car automatically switches off every 30 minutes, because...reasons.
You'll pay extra on a an 80.000 euro plus car for such luxury items as rear passenger airbags and auto-dim rearview mirrors. The gluttony!
And on and on.

That being said....

I just took a 3o00 kilometer roadtrip rom Berlin to Geneva and back with 3 kids AND the dog...and when it came time to choose a ride - all I wanted was to drive the Porsche. Everytime I see it, I have to smile - it is THAT gorgeous. Everytime I drive it, I feel so much closer to Steve McQueen in LeMans, it's THAT much fun too drive (even the ass slow version).

And when I finally arrived in Switzerland after 12 hours and many non-functioning chargers (actually charged mostly at Tesla Superchargers open to 3rd party manufacturers!), I could imagine myself immidiately taking Baymax for another spin around the mountain roads just for the hell of it....

Bottomline: The Taycan is an irrational love affair. And am I in love. I won't give it up ever. EVER!
But my Tessis are by far the better cars by any metric that doesn't involve the heart.

Wow! Thank you for the very honest review.

What type of setup is required each time you start the vehicle? Settings can't be saved?

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag

OTA? Not da.
And on and on.

That being said....

Omg

While reading your post I laughed, I cried, I sympathised, I got angry, I got condescended and in the end... I got jealous. I hope I'll have my own love affair soon.

Take care šŸ‘šŸ»

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
I honestly donā€™t understand why people want this? Especially Porsche drivers. I bought this car because I love driving. If I wanted to be driven then Iā€™d just get the bus.

OTA? Not da.
And on and on.

That being said....

I think in the end (and at the beginning) Taycan in sedan or tourismo guise is a truly great design. The happiness of architecture counts for so much. Then itā€™s the Porsche driving experience, not the bells and whistles, but how it goes down the road. Not much else is relevant.

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
you can toggle regenerative braking, sport sound, display setup.

i opted out of the chrono package because I refuse to have an egg-timer center view of that lickalicious dashboard, but that gives you the revolver knob on the steering to choose modes, which pre-set some of those.

in my case I had to sacrifice the joker button (Iā€™m not kidding, itā€™s a thing) on my steering to activate sports-sound.

so I get in and press sound and regen (to approximate one pedal driving).
It DOES preselect aircon and seat warmers when I DONā€™T want it to, but i CANNOT save this stuff.

and with the joker button gone, i canā€™t do crazy innovative stuff like ā€œskip track forwardā€, but have to go through the menu (or yell HEY PORSCHE 8x to then be told it canā€™ help with Apple car play)

in the tesla EVERYTHING is mapped to your key fob and preselected when you get in. Simple. Smart. Nice.

As the Porsche mechanic said when i asked him about this: ā€œwell, our gasoline cars also donā€™t have that.ā€

ahā€¦ok. My bad then! šŸ˜„šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

i mean the sin alone of not having last/next track buttons on the steering wheel had my wife rolling on the spacious floor of her Model S.

What type of setup is required each time you start the vehicle? Settings can't be saved?

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
sorry, what i forgot - you know how in our Tessis, ALL your assistance configuration is mapped to the fob (autopilot settings, etc), plus media settings?
The Porsche wonā€™t. But then again it also has very little.

what annoys me is that it feels lazy!

some of this sh*t they just had to copy paste. No ip on it. No hardware requirements. But they just fell back on their talents of design and ride. They try to use the ā€œweā€™re a VW platform slave get out if jail free cardā€, but i donā€™t buy it.

they could use the hud and software for sports driving coaching, for scenic cruise optionsā€¦Porsche-feel software. Instead they did nonadat.

so yeah. If Tesla manages to make the Roadster tickle testicles, itā€™ll be an interesting rematch.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
if you want the best tech on wheels get a Tesla
You repeat that SM lie on every post! I got so many OTAs on my MS90D, and it is still the most horrendous stupid piece of shit software to be used in a car, ever!

Just one tiny example: Before there was a dedicated button at the bottom for the seat heating. Bad to use, because too small and often a mishit. However, now its gone and it's part of the AC sub-menu. The problem with that is that you can never ever operate seat heating without first starting the AC. Why have such a big screen? For the super slow loading and totally useless navi?

The software is a hideous mess and total garbage! Have I been clear enough on this point? T junk software in the car is total and utter garbage!

So the real question is, why are you spreading these lies? Have you really invested all you money in T junk shares?

Last edited:

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
Woaw. What happened to respectful discourse šŸ˜‰

look, i agree with you that the Tesla UX and quality of their software has gone down. The current AC UI you mention annoy me to no end.

Also, why do I get a Gig of Navigation updates EVERY other day, itā€™s nuts! Theyā€™re not rebuilding the Autobahn nearly as fastā€¦

BUT - thatā€™s exactly the point. Their ability to change the UX over night (for better or worse). You wake up and suddenly you control over independently using child lock on each door, or you have a clever algo to measure tire thread depth. Because they have deep hardware and software integration. Iā€™m just surprised thereā€™s no Twitter and FoxNews embedded yet šŸ˜„

the fact that they are ā€œVerschlimmbessernā€ the UX is a fact, but not the point. (Sorry, no good translation. Means: changing something for the sake of changing it, and making it worse in the process).

porsche does not have the hardware/software integration and couldnā€™t mess up what Tesla wants to mess up, if they wanted to..

Man, even the Porsche sales rep said: donā€™t expect a Tesla, weā€™re at least a good three steps behind, but donā€™t you want to just marry this dumb, gorgeous gal?

(i took liberties in this quotation)

End of line? comparing a tesla to a porsche is like comparing a blackberry to an iphone. Software-capability wise. Their approach was a disruptive gamechanger to the car industry, and our qualms with this and that design decision doesnā€™t change that (just proves the point really)

so while I see your point (and commiserate), Iā€™m with @daveo4EV on this.

and duuuuude! Donā€™t we ALL wish weā€™d mortgaged the house on T-Junk shares 2015? Weā€™d chill with Elon in his little resort for lunatic billionaires right now šŸ˜‹

You repeat that SM lie on every post! I got so many OTAs on my MS90D, and it is still the most horrendous stupid piece of shit software to be used in a car, ever!

Just one tiny example: Before there was a dedicated button at the bottom for the seat heating. Bad to use, because too small and often a mishit. However, now its gone and it's part of the AC sub-menu. The problem with that is that you can never ever operate seat heating without first starting the AC. Why have such a big screen? For the super slow loading and totally useless navi?

The software is a hideous mess and total garbage! Have I been clear enough on this point? T junk software in the car is total and utter garbage!

So the real question is, why are you spreading this lies? Have you really invested all you money in T junk shares?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
i't

So the real question is, why are you spreading these lies? Have you really invested all you money in T junk shares?
it's not a lie - and for years now your opinion is firmly a "minority" opinion - basically you're wrong - which doesn't make me correct, but closer to the truth.

comparing porsche and Tesla in software - one is clearly more advanced and better than the other - and I think you'll find many many many more people agree with me vs. you.
Sponsored