So are 'new' Turbo S Taycans essentially unsalable at present?

Studogg22

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not sure how much credence to put in this, but it was hard to watch. If/when the secondary market stabilizes, I can't imagine much will improve anytime soon.

Sponsored

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Saw this the other day, felt very contrived and sensationalist, pandering to the anti-EV crowd.

How can you be into cars at that level, own multiple exotics, covet a GT3 RS and not know about the current car climate? It doesn't add up.
All new cars, especially expensive luxury cars, will take a bloodbath as soon as you drive them off the forecourt. He absolutely knew there is a glut of Taycan's in the market (coming off leases.etc), and waited until the Taycan 2 announcement for added shock value / clicks.

Contrived clickbait drivel.

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Just to add, he's right in that this is the state of the UK market currently (ICE and EVs).
What he doesn't mention (which shows the video's intentions), is that the Taycan Turbo S is still an excellent car, and there are some damn good bargains to be had, with lower risk since the lions share of depreciation has been factored in.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Fundamentally, the value proposition of very high priced EVs is in jeopardy. This is not just a Porsche problem. Future models will not be immune to this. Will be interesting to see how this shapes the future.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Saw this the other day, felt very contrived and sensationalist, pandering to the anti-EV crowd.

How can you be into cars at that level, own multiple exotics, covet a GT3 RS and not know about the current car climate? It doesn't add up.
All new cars, especially expensive luxury cars, will take a bloodbath as soon as you drive them off the forecourt. He absolutely knew there is a glut of Taycan's in the market (coming off leases.etc), and waited until the Taycan 2 announcement for added shock value / clicks.

Contrived clickbait drivel.
Bashing for the sake of sensationalism is definitely not graceful, but this has unfortunately become the M.O. for a large percentage of online journalists/contributors nowadays.

The topic of steep EV depreciation is starting to become a bit worn out. I made a quick decision after a brief test drive to buy my 4S, and have never looked back!

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The thing is, that if an EV can fit into your life and you can afford one: there's still no other car that rivals what the Taycan offers imo. They really are amazingly versatile and fun cars especially for an EV.
And 7.5p/kWh (using e.g. Intelligent Octopus smart charging) it is also pretty much free to charge, which over time makes a meaningful difference to running cost.

By way of comparison, filling up an R8 V10 twice/week costs you around GBP 850 per month.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
The Internet is fuller of stupid than Porsche dealers are of Taycans...

The piece demonstrates everything that's wrong with this section of the car market.

Porsche (and Rolex) do what they do because there are enough mugs out there prepared to buy into the hype.

The same issue likely contributed to why the Taycan Turbo S market is where it is.

Happy to leave them to it.

Like art, buy the car because you love the car. Then it's used value is irrelevant.

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
I embrace the depreciation to an extent. I never drove my Ferrari when I had one for fear the additional miles would make it worthless. I now drive my Taycan regularly just for fun knowing its already depreciated 👍

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
I am in a pickle. I leased a 2023 RWD last April with an MSRP of 120k. I love everything about the car, but my lease is running out next April.

I have a 992.2 pre-allocated and left a deposit for it, however I am very tempted by the new Taycan Turbo.

And here lies the car enthusiast’s dillema:

1. Do I get the 4S and maintain the value of the car, but deal with all the typical ICE wackiness. I would probably buy it/finance it since these maintain their value well. 911s also have more street cred in the car community.

2. Lease a Taycan Turbo and get insane performance and all the benefits of an EV, but lose on depreciation

3. Since we’re in the 150-200k range, a lot of interesting options open up in this budget, including the new Aston Vantage, a used Ferrari 458, an R8, Mclaren 570s, etc

🤷

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am in a pickle. I leased a 2023 RWD last April with an MSRP of 120k. I love everything about the car, but my lease is running out next April.

I have a 992.2 pre-allocated and left a deposit for it, however I am very tempted by the new Taycan Turbo.

And here lies the car enthusiast’s dillema:

1. Do I get the 4S and maintain the value of the car, but deal with all the typical ICE wackiness. I would probably buy it/finance it since these maintain their value well. 911s also have more street cred in the car community.

2. Lease a Taycan Turbo and get insane performance and all the benefits of an EV, but lose on depreciation

3. Since we’re in the 150-200k range, a lot of interesting options open up in this budget, including the new Aston Vantage, a used Ferrari 458, an R8, Mclaren 570s, etc

🤷
If I were you, I would lease a Taycan Turbo as my daily and buy a weekend/fun car that will not depreciate. There are plenty of those out there, including many Porsches. It may mean you can't afford the lease on a Taycan Turbo AND a 992.2, but you could maybe afford the Taycan Turbo and a 987 Spyder (which won't likely go down below mid-$70s during your ownership).

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Fundamentally, the value proposition of very high priced EVs is in jeopardy. This is not just a Porsche problem. Future models will not be immune to this. Will be interesting to see how this shapes the future.
Porsche can address this, and probably should. They've always been good about supporting and upgrading older models. I'm unsure how plug and play it would be, but offering a V2 battery upgrade, even if it's absurdly expensive would be a way to indicate they have a long term commitment to their EVs.

Much of the market expects EVs to be disposable consumer electronics and that's impacting the prices of used cars. That is not the model Porsche has ever used and I hope they don't start now.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I leased mine for exactly this reason. At the 4 year mark, I will either buy it from Porsche and sell in the private market, or hand the keys back depending upon the state of the market at that time . . .

Used car markets can swing pretty dramatically in a short period of time. The value of my former Tesla X a few summers ago went down 40K in just a one month period. My Taycan came in late so I held the X just a little longer than expected and paid a heavy price for doing so.
Sponsored