SOH request denied

LongLive959

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
So I asked a sales rep to send me service history and any info on battery SOH for a vehicle I’m interested in. The rep said there’s no way to get battery SOH info

I’m going to go over the service history (obviously it’s a vehicle that belonged to a granny that drove it 28,000km to church and back and never went over 90km/hr…obviously). It’s nicely spec’d. Is this a red flag? Should I try speaking to someone else?

im quickly starting to miss Tesla’s lack of dealers
Sponsored

Irv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020; Panamera GTS; 911
Country flag
I agree with bn8959. From the perspective of the salesperson, there is no way I would tell you that information because if the SOH is low, I am stuck with this car. I think this is the elephant in the room of selling used EVs. I am not sure Porsche requires the dealer to check the battery health and replace it if if falls below a certain cut off. Porsche replace my 2019 Cayenne when I traded it in a few months ago. The battery health is due to a variety of things including the charging habits of the owner and that history is difficult to obtain.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Surely you can ask porsche to check the SoH if you're worried its through the g'teed degradation amount. Ormaybe they just say yes it is or no it isn't and not tell you the actual %? I wonder if they'd except a third party reading for a warranty claim? Sorry slightly off topic.

I've never bought a second hand EV, but i'd want to know SoH before i did! Maybe the SA doesn't know enough about EVs to realise it is easily accessible data. Or is he saying none of your business?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
So I asked a sales rep to send me service history and any info on battery SOH for a vehicle I’m interested in. The rep said there’s no way to get battery SOH info

I’m going to go over the service history (obviously it’s a vehicle that belonged to a granny that drove it 28,000km to church and back and never went over 90km/hr…obviously). It’s nicely spec’d. Is this a red flag? Should I try speaking to someone else?

im quickly starting to miss Tesla’s lack of dealers
When the SA said ther is no way to get the SoH data, did he mean that Porsche could not provide that? Or that he did not want to share this?

Of course the Porsche service can get a read out from the car about SoH, but a,proper test will take quite some time for them to do.

I think you should insist o. Getting that info.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I briefly looked at a used EQS. Mercedes at least in Belgium publishes the SoH in their website. This is one of the things that should be know before buying a used EV.

Porsche Taycan SOH request denied IMG_0568

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
When the SA said ther is no way to get the SoH data, did he mean that Porsche could not provide that? Or that he did not want to share this?

Of course the Porsche service can get a read out from the car about SoH, but a,proper test will take quite some time for them to do.

I think you should insist o. Getting that info.
absolutely they can get the SoH. You can yourself via and ODBII reader. And officially Porsche can via PIWIS engineering tool they all have.

So if they say they CANT, then that’s a big fat lie and I’d be very suspicious!
If they WONT, then either they are hiding something or they don’t understand what you are asking for.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
They don’t know what it is.
I asked my dealer last week when I got my Taycan back from the full check up to extend the warranty if I could get the SOH as for sure it’s part of the tests.
No it’s not and if I want to get a proper SOH test, I’ll have to request it and it takes 2 days and the data is going back to Germany and…
They just think SOH is checking every cell and they don’t want to give you approximate values from a OBDII reader.
So as soon as I came back home I ordered one.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
They don’t know what it is.
I asked my dealer last week when I got my Taycan back from the full check up to extend the warranty if I could get the SOH as for sure it’s part of the tests.
No it’s not and if I want to get a proper SOH test, I’ll have to request it and it takes 2 days and the data is going back to Germany and…
They just think SOH is checking every cell and they don’t want to give you approximate values from a OBDII reader.
So as soon as I came back home I ordered one.
My SA (on request) emailed me a digital shot of the PIWIS screen at the dealership with the Soh readout that is BTW, IDENTICAL to what you can read yourself with a proper OBDII tool ($30-130). My SA however likely not typical in that he is a tech enthusiast. Most SA's TBH are clueless on this, perhaps harsh but not far off :) . If you can ask them or better, you yourself talk directly to the floor manager about taking a quick reading, you're better off.

For ref here is an active thread on all things Soh:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ery-soh-performance.12815/page-41#post-285749

PS: And yes of course this OBDII 'flash' readout of Soh is not a proper full Soh battery test which is a lengthy cost item for any dealership to do and confusion between these two Soh values likely partly the cause of SA's just saying no i.e. their managers telling them we don't do free Soh evaluations :)!

Last edited:
OP
OP

LongLive959

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Yes the sales guy said “there’s no way to get a battery SOH for any of our cars” which instantly made me suspicious…or at the very least, question his knowledge about the vehicle (in this respect). I’ve gotten the service records (in French! So I need to translate lol). If everything else seems ok, then I’ll press the issue. Thank you

OP
OP

LongLive959

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
What exactly am I looking for in a SOH report anyways?

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Yes the sales guy said “there’s no way to get a battery SOH for any of our cars” which instantly made me suspicious…or at the very least, question his knowledge about the vehicle (in this respect). I’ve gotten the service records (in French! So I need to translate lol). If everything else seems ok, then I’ll press the issue. Thank you
This SA doesn't know much about EV's to be honest. You can nicely advise him the technicals on why you want the State of Health and/or raise this issue up to his manager. If they still won't give it and insist on that "can't" or "don't know how" to give to you, ask for a third party to come in and if they even refuse that, walk away.

Selling EV's and not knowing SoH is like selling booze without checking for age verification. One of the most idiotic things I've come across regarding Porsche dealerships. But to be fair, the SA that sold us our Taycan doesn't know anything either but we already know that and just bypass her directly.

Press the issue. Get the SoH. SA not knowing is an issue that he/she needs to know. The answer the SA gives is irresponsible and negligent. That kind of work attitude/mindset is a red flag but that's the SA's responsibility to bear, not yours.

On the business side of getting SoH, the SA could have easily offered a fee for Porsche dealership to do the test for you as opposed to disregarding it completely. Experiencing someone lying straight to your face really does boil the blood. I would not have been as nice as you.