Solar install, batteries, exporting and ev tariffs

Corkage Time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
Yes that's the thing, Power-Ups. I think you're right that it is region specific but thought that was for specific events rather than an overall availability.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
The DNO will always cap absolute peak theoretical output. So I can’t see how that is going to work.
You cannot have any combination that would export more than 7kW.
The PW is 5kW, but can be set to G98 mode, which will cap it to 3.6kW - which would completely cap its discharge AND charge rate to 3.6 - irrespective if you arnot exporting any of it. That would then only leave 3.4kW for your inverter peak output. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have the intention of exporting.

I have a 8.6kW limit. PW is in G99 mode - so full 5kW and I am limited to a 3.6kW inverter. I have 6kWp of panels and don’t miss much due to clipping.

Sounds like you’d be better off with a DC coupled battery for now and a 7kW inverter.
So, just to update. Installer didn’t deem this to be an issue. He said powerwall exporting had no bearing on the charge and discharge rate to the house, and seems to think the PW is still the best option. Still not sure I’m a 100% clear but my main concern was I could export at 7kwh with the PW as DNO capped at 7kw on current DNO and he said it would be fine. Do let me know if you think this is incorrect, as I may of para phrased you point clumsily!?

My main aim is to charge the PW overnight at 7.5p and then export during the day anything the house may not use, after using the PWs 13kw or so battery. Cars again will be charged off peak and not from solar/ battery.

They have had to re submit the DNO though for the powerwall and have submitted an applications for 8kwh at same time. Install meant to start at end of the week but DNO may not be back now so could be pushed back.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Literally just after posting had email stating the below…

We have had verbal confirmation on full export from UKPN just waiting for written response.

so, looking good to go in principle!

Last edited:

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I presume the installer has put in an application for your Powerwall and your inverter, so presume you’ll be fine. Just confirm your Powerwall runs in g99 mode and will import and export at full 5kw.

You could run a test after install. Set the the Powerwall emergency reserve to 100%. It should charge from grid at full speed. Then set it to timed mode and edit the utility plan and set the import rate to cheap and export very high. It should discharge quickly to grid. That would confirm it can do as they claim.

Jin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (MY24)
Country flag
Ive got a solis inverter (not through choice as it was pre-installed in the new build).

whilst when operating its fine but I had a period a year ago it developed a fault. there is a long warranty but trying to get a hold of someone is painful.. its non-uk based and all done via email/tickets... took nearly 4 weeks to get working again and involved my having to manually install firmware updates via a data stick they posted me!

I'd preferably look for a brand with a better service (uk based if possible) if I was buying myself.

also, if yo do go for the solis, make sure they install the additional data logger so you can see what the inverter is actually doing! Again, the developers cheaped out and didn't bother. it was only £30 or so for it, but again meant getting into the loft crawl space to get screw it into the inverter and then set up.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Yes that's the thing, Power-Ups. I think you're right that it is region specific but thought that was for specific events rather than an overall availability.
Just checked out the power ups as I’m in the south east, and just scrolled through 830 pages of postcodes as couldnt search on an iPad to annoyingly find my postcode wasn’t listed despite many other postcodes in the same town right there!

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Ive got a solis inverter (not through choice as it was pre-installed in the new build).

whilst when operating its fine but I had a period a year ago it developed a fault. there is a long warranty but trying to get a hold of someone is painful.. its non-uk based and all done via email/tickets... took nearly 4 weeks to get working again and involved my having to manually install firmware updates via a data stick they posted me!

I'd preferably look for a brand with a better service (uk based if possible) if I was buying myself.

also, if yo do go for the solis, make sure they install the additional data logger so you can see what the inverter is actually doing! Again, the developers cheaped out and didn't bother. it was only £30 or so for it, but again meant getting into the loft crawl space to get screw it into the inverter and then set up.
Useful insight, but think I’m probably committed now to the solis. Great shout on the stick, I will ask and make sure they install and set up. What does the stick provide in terms of useable data?

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Scaffolding up! Tiles being stripped and prepped Saturday and Sunday as having the panels inset into roof. Install of system starts Tuesday.

Porsche Taycan Solar install, batteries, exporting and ev tariffs IMG_0798
Porsche Taycan Solar install, batteries, exporting and ev tariffs IMG_0799

Reactions: Jin

Jin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (MY24)
Country flag
Useful insight, but think I’m probably committed now to the solis. Great shout on the stick, I will ask and make sure they install and set up. What does the stick provide in terms of useable data?
you can then get live and historical data for generation via solidcloud app and website.. pretty standard stuff on there tbh.

you might also get that data from the a 'smart' EVSE.. the zappi for example can have a CT clamp wired (or wirelessly with a Harvi) to the PV live wire so you get all data on the myenergi app.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
you can then get live and historical data for generation via solidcloud app and website.. pretty standard stuff on there tbh.

you might also get that data from the a 'smart' EVSE.. the zappi for example can have a CT clamp wired (or wirelessly with a Harvi) to the PV live wire so you get all data on the myenergi app.
I might be wrong here but I don’t think a CT clamp from a Zappi will work on the PV live wire as that would be DC. CT clamps work on AC. The Zappi will calculate the PV figure from house use and grid return but if there is a battery it can’t “see” that separately.

Jin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (MY24)
Country flag
I might be wrong here but I don’t think a CT clamp from a Zappi will work on the PV live wire as that would be DC. CT clamps work on AC. The Zappi will calculate the PV figure from house use and grid return but if there is a battery it can’t “see” that separately.
Sorry it’s the live from inverter (to consumer unit) so AC. Can be wired into zappi or wirelessly (if the run is awkward). In the set up of zappi mark that input as generation as you’ll see a separate source in the myenergi app.

Just clouded over here:

Porsche Taycan Solar install, batteries, exporting and ev tariffs IMG_1053

the reading from the ct clap to what the data from the inverter shows directly is pretty accurate… myenergi data about 100w off

I prefer having everything on a single app rather than switching to the solis one..

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Sorry it’s the live from inverter (to consumer unit) so AC. Can be wired into zappi or wirelessly (if the run is awkward). In the set up of zappi mark that input as generation as you’ll see a separate source in the myenergi app.

Just clouded over here:

IMG_1053.png

the reading from the ct clap to what the data from the inverter shows directly is pretty accurate… myenergi data about 100w off

I prefer having everything on a single app rather than switching to the solis one..
It will work on that wire. I see your battery is a Libbi- so that will commicate with the other MyEnergi kit. Mine doesn’t as it is a different make, but communicates with my inverter.

If I was starting from scratch I would probably try to get it all the same make but I think the MyEnergi stuff is more expensive for reasons that aren’t entirely clear to me.

Reactions: Jin