Gruby

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Only two profiles, one home and one at the office. Minimum charge 80%. Connected to the AC port. No timer activated. Set to preferred time 10pm to 6am.

car fully charged to 100% and 99% - whats triggers it after reaching 80%. It seems it goes standby (blue light) but then resumes if within the preferred charging time.

Everyone describeyou dont need timer to cap it at 80%. How?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Profile min is amount to charge to immediate.

If set to preferred times, car will continue charging beyond the min during the preferred times.

Add a timer or set the profile to “optimized”.

Really, you could just set a timer for 6am and get rid of the profile all together.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
There are, of course, many threads on this, e.g., here.

Quick guide:

Profile, No Active Timer
Minimum charge: Upon plug-in, immediately charge until this value is reached. Good to keep the car ready for an unplanned drive.

Profile Radio Buttons:
Optimized charging: if checked, in the USA, do not charge beyond the Minimum charge because the "Porsche Home Energy Manager" box is not available here. This box tells the car when charging is the least expensive. But the setting is still useful in the USA because it causes the "Minimum charge" above to become a Maximum charge.
-or-
Preferred charging period: if checked, car will restart charging beyond the "Minimum charge" at the start time, and stop at the stop time. 10pm to 6am on Level 2 will likely take the car to 100%. (Probably should have had a maximum charge slider here.)

Timer, No Active Profile
Begin charging the car during the night such that it will reach the "target charge" at the departure time, it will then stop.

Timer and Profile
It can get complicated.

Timer and/or Profile and/or Smart EVSE
It can get more complicated.

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
It’s the home profile that’s the problem. As stated above, it assumes that the minimum level you set is what you want as soon as possible, and will charge to this straight away. Your timers then kick in and continue charging.
If you want to stop at 80%, then set (from inside the car only as far as I’m aware) a profile that is location independent, min level 80% and optimised charging. Delete your home profile. This will set your car to charge to 80% within your preferred times, and stop. If you have no other timers or profiles, then there is nothing to prompt the car to go beyond this charge.

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
It’s the home profile that’s the problem. As stated above, it assumes that the minimum level you set is what you want as soon as possible, and will charge to this straight away. Your timers then kick in and continue charging.
If you want to stop at 80%, then set (from inside the car only as far as I’m aware) a profile that is location independent, min level 80% and optimised charging. Delete your home profile. This will set your car to charge to 80% within your preferred times, and stop. If you have no other timers or profiles, then there is nothing to prompt the car to go beyond this charge.
You cannot set time when using optimized charging?

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
Yes, you can. Either via your charging unit, or directly on the car. The point is that optimised charging will charge at your preferred times, however you set that, as opposed to charging as soon as plugged in.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
These charging questions always remind me of the scene from Mr. Mom where Michael Keaton is dropping the kids off at school.

"You're doing it wrong." ☺

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
Yes, you can. Either via your charging unit, or directly on the car. The point is that optimised charging will charge at your preferred times, however you set that, as opposed to charging as soon as plugged in.
Ah you mean in the timer screen, not profile.

Worth a try 👍🏻

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
These charging questions always remind me of the scene from Mr. Mom where Michael Keaton is dropping the kids off at school.

"You're doing it wrong." ☺
Whoever designed the software for this was not an adherent of the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) philosophy...It is painfully and unnecessarily confusing.....I've been driving the car for 3 years and, after spending a lot of time in the beginning getting it to work, I am afraid to touch it! They should have brought in some Apple software designers to do this...

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is wrong.

Profile (general or otherwise) will charge to min immediately.
Optimized (in US) will provide no further instructions.
Preferred times will charge further during the preferred times.

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
Nope, a profile that is not home location will not charge immediately. Have been using this since I’ve had the car and it does not charge until my preferred times.
To be fair, I have my preferred times set in my wall box as opposed to the car. My point is, that with a location independent profile, if I plug in at lunchtime, the car sits quite happily not charging and starts at the cheap time I’ve set. With a home profile, it tries to charge straight away but can’t as the box won’t provide power, and throws up an error message.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope, a profile that is not home location will not charge immediately. Have been using this since I’ve had the car and it does not charge until my preferred times.
Well, that’s not how my car works. Yours must be special. 🙄

Edit: and waiting to charge to the min defeats the purpose of the min. So, your described behavior makes no sense.

Last edited:

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
I’ve edited my post and crossed with you to provide more info. At least two of my local Taycan owners quite happily use the same system as me and it all works the same.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be fair, I have my preferred times set in my wall box as opposed to the car. My point is, that with a location independent profile, if I plug in at lunchtime, the car sits quite happily not charging and starts at the cheap time I’ve set. With a home profile, it tries to charge straight away but can’t as the box won’t provide power, and throws up an error message.
Yeah; I thought that may be the case. You have other hardware added in. Those are not the profile preferred times. Those are being set on other hardware.

The car can do all kinds of things if you add other hardware to do it. It could be an airplane. It could be a submarine. It could be a cat feeder.

But the profiles on the car work as I described.

Reactions: B61

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
  • Haha
Reactions: B61